displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: What do i do?
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #1
I have owned many a 306 over the years, soon to be 20 in fact. I have always loved the package factor of the GTI6, superb handling, braking and enough power to satisfy my needs when i want to go for a quick blast round the country roads. For years i've always fancied a turbo'd 6, my engine needs approx another 2k to see it fitted and running for about 300 bhp, however where i normally drive the car i think that level of power and the turbo style torque delivery would spoil the driving experience, so now i'm trying to come up with a relatively fuss free and reliable engine build that will give me a decent increase in grunt yet not make car an uncontrollable animal. Supercharging is the most obvious choice here, i have never been in or driven a rotrexed 6 but as LB conversion mirrors the standard engine's power delivery i can plainly see why their so popular.

So, do i keep and finish off my 16v turbo, go s/c or cams and bodies - something which i'm very keen to try
Car in question has properly uprated suspension and brakes now i just want a little extra power

2k to have turbo
3k for second hand supercharger kit, if one ever comes up for sale
1300 for 200bhp PT81,pockets and map
2200 for cams and bodies ~ 220 bhp

Any opinions be it good or bad welcome

Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 21:01
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Whichever route you choose you would of wished you done the other lol

I'd be tempted to finish yours if it were me
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 21:25
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #3
i am tempted to finish it but although a turbo would be great, i don't want a car that can't be driven. N/A's are so predictable whereas a turbo may end up going severly pete tong half way round a fast corner when it comes onto full boost or if you hit a dip in the road and the front end loses traction
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 21:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I see your point tbh there's only so much you can use I've never driven a turbo or supercharged 6 but I've got bodies and there plenty useable
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 21:38
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #5
i have been in a fair few 16v turbo'd 205/306's and yes they are ballisticly fast but only really useable in a straight line or on the track. Its too easy to get caught up with big bhp figures on paper but for me its how does the car actually drive on the road? whats the point having a superb handling car if you can't use it because your feathering the throttle and fighting immense torque/understeer?
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 21:45
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Finish it and stop being a panzie Thumbs up

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 22:02
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Curveball......

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 22:05
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #8
lol, was wondering how long it would be for a comment like that! but its all well and good having a turbo'd monster but if say, a civic type r can get past you because he can get his power down...
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 22:07
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #9
eliotrw wrote:
Curveball......

looking at this option too
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 22:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
sell it all and buy a race car

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 22:16
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Give me 6k for my Rallye

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 23:25
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Your supercharged one? Huh?

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 23:47
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Id finish it now, but i wouldn't have gone for a turbo'd 306 in the first place.
Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 07:35
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Who mine? Yes my charged one

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 08:00
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
T99PUG wrote:
I have owned many a 306 over the years, soon to be 20 in fact. I have always loved the package factor of the GTI6, superb handling, braking and enough power to satisfy my needs when i want to go for a quick blast round the country roads. For years i've always fancied a turbo'd 6, my engine needs approx another 2k to see it fitted and running for about 300 bhp, however where i normally drive the car i think that level of power and the turbo style torque delivery would spoil the driving experience, so now i'm trying to come up with a relatively fuss free and reliable engine build that will give me a decent increase in grunt yet not make car an uncontrollable animal. Supercharging is the most obvious choice here, i have never been in or driven a rotrexed 6 but as LB conversion mirrors the standard engine's power delivery i can plainly see why their so popular.

So, do i keep and finish off my 16v turbo, go s/c or cams and bodies - something which i'm very keen to try
Car in question has properly uprated suspension and brakes now i just want a little extra power

2k to have turbo
3k for second hand supercharger kit, if one ever comes up for sale
1300 for 200bhp PT81,pockets and map
2200 for cams and bodies ~ 220 bhp

Any opinions be it good or bad welcome

I had a supercharger and it was really good. Very undramatic though, it was like standard but the speedo moved faster.

NA tuning IMHO is a waste of money. The £/bhp ratio is really poor.

This leaves turbo or supercharger. Turbos have potential, but I cannot recall a turbo conversion that has been cheap and/or reliable. They all seem to turn into money pits.

The supercharger conversion works and is pretty reliable and guarantees 230-260bhp. In 30,000 hard miles the only issue that I had was a bearing failing on my aux belt tensioner. Also, given that you are handy with spanners, you''d do a supercharger conversion in a couple of days, if the kit was second hand. I also think that you would probably pay a bit less for the kit. I sold mine for £2,200 (with standard bits in exchange).

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 12:12
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Zac may be looking to sell his high boost '6 and that was a minter last time I saw it.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 12:14
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
+1 to what smegal says

iv replaced a few belts and pulley bearings over the years

although now that my car is high boost is a bit more dramatic, my uprated clutch isnt soo hand for daily driving

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 12:37
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Finnish the turbo. The usability is all in the mapping so I wouldnt fuss to much. Binkas was a beast and still went round corners well. Wink

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 15:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
aaron6 wrote:
Finnish the turbo. The usability is all in the mapping so I wouldnt fuss to much. Binkas was a beast and still went round corners well. Wink

naah, its the choice of turbo and cams, but mapping certainly makes a difference.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 15:14
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
The £ to bhp ratio is also dependent on whether you want to get an off-the-shelf guaranteed result that has been developed by someone else who is able to spread their development costs over a decent number of units, or whether you want to try developing something bespoke, which will inevitably drive up the costs a lot as all your development costs are on one car and the total is uncertain.

The bespoke approach can be mitigated by the simple expedient of not counting up how much it all costs - known as the "head in the sand" method. Shelling out £2K+ for a pre-loved supercharger kit may seem painful at first, compared to buying bits and developing it over a longer period, but is cheaper in the long run.

T99PUG wrote:
...so now i'm trying to come up with a relatively fuss free and reliable engine build that will give me a decent increase in grunt yet not make car an uncontrollable animal.

Sounds like LB charger is your best bet.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 11th Apr 2013 at 16:57
ablister

Senior User

Post #21
If it were me, i'd have a good engine with throttle bodies, the noise alone would do it for me!

306 rallye, Richard Longman engine

rc10gt
Posted 13th Apr 2013 at 10:19
Jake

Regular

Post #22
I'd say finish what you started.

A turbo'd car doesn't have to be an uncontrollable mess, it will be if you run high boost with a massive spike in torque as the boost comes in. If you keep the boost relatively low with a decent boost controller it will be a completly different car to drive, there are also boost controllers that can restrict boost per gear which when set up correctly will make a better car to drive and won't slow it down as you will have more grip and won't be lighting up the tyres!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 13th Apr 2013 at 19:15