displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Fan Problem
specter

Regular

Post #1
hey there

got a little fan problem

the left one isnt working, relays changed, right one spins, left one doesnt if i pull off the brown plug

as i bought the 6, the previous owner pointed at a small switch behind the seat heating switches, the cable is connected to the plug on the brown temperature sensor i was talking about above

if i turned this switch on, the high speed fan started, after i rebuild the engine due to a cambelt failure this switch has no functionality anymore, or a bit later, didnt noticed it exactly

in foresight i bought this brown sensor, at normal temperature it has an restistance of 1.655 ohms, the one still plugged in in the car has 1.800 ohms

could this be the error? any hints?

Regards
Gerald

EDIT: AC switch didnt kick any fan in
Posted 19th Mar 2013 at 15:34
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
More than likely the fan which doesn't spin up is broken. The brushes wear in the fan motor and then they stop working.
The reason the AC button didn't kick the fans in is either because there is insufficient gas in the system so the AC doesn't operate or because during the AC operation the fans set to run at low speed, and when they do so they are wired in series. Therefore, if there is a break in the circuit (i.e a fan motor broken) then neither fan will spin up.

First thing to check is whether the fan which isn't working spins up if you supply it directly with 12v. If not, there lies your problem. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 19th Mar 2013 at 19:58
specter

Regular

Post #3
thanks a lot for the detailed answer

another issue:

sometimes the STOP Light is flashing, not constant blinking, not permanent, sometimes on, sometimes off, if its on, the fan is spinning

help?!
Posted 21st Mar 2013 at 09:27
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
This is again a very common issue when the fan system is playing up. Yes

It could be any of the following:

- The brown sensor on the thermostat housing playing up
- A dodgy connection on the inner wing loom plug, where the fan system connects to the car
- The 'Bitron' unit (which is the control unit for the entire fan system) playing up. This is located behind the NSF wheel arch liner, brown in colour and held on with an 8mm nut

Hope this helps,

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Mar 2013 at 10:19