displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: How do you remove?..
tomlum

Regular

Post #1
Hi not sure what this part of the bay is called (the black bar that runs accross the front) but Im wanting to take it out to get it painted. Is it just a case of undoing the visible bolts on top or is it bolted elsewhere?

Thanks, Tom

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 13:50
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Thats called the Slam panel, comes out easily enough, best thing you can do would be to take the lights out, grill and front bumper because these are all connected to it.

Once done it is a case of undoing 4 bolts to remove it.

Two are visible (one by each wing) and one on either side behind the bumper (remove the wheel arch lining and washer bottle to access).

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 14:00
tomlum

Regular

Post #3
rich306 wrote:
Thats called the Slam panel, comes out easily enough, best thing you can do would be to take the lights out, grill and front bumper because these are all connected to it.

Once done it is a case of undoing 4 bolts to remove it.

Two are visible (one by each wing) and one on either side behind the bumper (remove the wheel arch lining and washer bottle to access).

Thanks! Annoying tho as ive just re-fitted the front bumper haha. Oh well another job for the weekend.

Tom
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 14:04
darzmat

Senior User

Post #4
also the bonnet catch cable, its not too bad to remove but feeding the cable back through is a pain,

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 16:25
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
darzmat wrote:
also the bonnet catch cable, its not too bad to remove but feeding the cable back through is a pain,

Tie some string through it when you remove then pull back when reconnecting. Smile

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 17:35
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
It is very easy to do...

Simply remove the bumper and grille, then you can gain access to the bolts which hold it on. You don't need to remove the washer bottle or arch liners.

You can take it out with the lights still bolted to it as long as you unplug them. Then you can unbolt them once the slam panel is out if you prefer.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:11
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
stan_306gti6 wrote:
It is very easy to do...

Simply remove the bumper and grille, then you can gain access to the bolts which hold it on. You don't need to remove the washer bottle or arch liners.

Makes it a lot easier if you do! Thumbs up

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:15
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #8
Really?

All you need is a 13mm spanner to get the nuts off the rear and off it comes...Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:20
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Really?

All you need is a 13mm spanner to get the nuts off the rear and off it comes...Yes

Yes really... lol well anyway i guess each to their own Big grin Learn something new each day if you can reach behind the bumper to remove the slam panel nuts.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:21
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #10
Not reaching behind the bumper, once the bumper is removed you can access them easily. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:24
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Not reaching behind the bumper, once the bumper is removed you can access them easily. Yes

Exactly! but you still have to remove the washer bottle and linings to get to the bolts in the first place!

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:26
tomlum

Regular

Post #12
rich306 wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:

Exactly! but you still have to remove the washer bottle and linings to get to the bolts in the first place!

Can get to the bolts without taking botle or arch lining out. I did it last weekend. Or maybe I just have little rodent hands..Unsure
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:05
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
tomlum wrote:
rich306 wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:

Can get to the bolts without taking botle or arch lining out. I did it last weekend. Or maybe I just have little rodent hands..Unsure

Lmao maybe its cos i don't like ripping my hands to bits Big grin

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:38
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
rich306 wrote:
tomlum wrote:
rich306 wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:

Lmao maybe its cos i don't like ripping my hands to bits Big grin

It is possible, but if the bolts have been there since 1999 would be pretty difficult reaching up at an awkward angle with stuff in the way. I did it after some faffing but made it harder for myself by using a socket instead of a spanner. Now I've got the bolts off one side of the bumper is still held on by an arch liner. Maybe I just need to pull harder.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 18:55
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Hence why I take them out lol! Big grin so much easier..

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 21:34
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #16
I have never had any hand damage or difficulty removing the slam panel securing nuts once the bumper has been removed...
And I absolutely HATE damaging my hands, so if there was an easier way and I was struggling then I definitely would do it. I'm a little confused to be honest, because these nuts we're referring to are so simple to get at, surely we must have crossed wires about which ones we're all talking about? Dunno

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 12:24
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #17
Stan you have supple hot tub crinkle wrinkle hands. I'm surprised you don't take a layer of skin off from putting your hand in your pocket. Although your tips must be pretty hardened from all those tea bags you squeeze.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 12:26
    RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    A little tip if you're finding the bumper/slam panel nuts difficult to get to and you'd rather use a ratchet rather than spend ages using a socket:

Unplug the horns then take them off of their brackets, this is really quick and easy and makes it possible (although still bit annoying) to get a ratchet with an extension on the 10mm bumper nuts and the 13mm slam panel one.

You also have the added advantage of being able to wirebrush and repaint the rusty bits on the horns if you're really anal like I am. Thumbs up

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
    Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 12:28
    gti6max

Regular

Post #19
    I agree with stan never had any problems getting the slam panel off
    Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 12:41
    rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    Lmao i don't think i've ever tried it without taking the arch liners out lol!

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
    - Top Tip!!!
    Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 19:37
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #21
    rich306 wrote:
    Lmao i don't think i've ever tried it without taking the arch liners out lol!

Give it a go, you'll find it's easy. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 22:43
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    RetroPug wrote:
    A little tip if you're finding the bumper/slam panel nuts difficult to get to and you'd rather use a ratchet rather than spend ages using a socket:

Unplug the horns then take them off of their brackets, this is really quick and easy and makes it possible (although still bit annoying) to get a ratchet with an extension on the 10mm bumper nuts and the 13mm slam panel one.

You also have the added advantage of being able to wirebrush and repaint the rusty bits on the horns if you're really anal like I am. Thumbs up

Great idea if (one of) your horns aren't rust-welded to their mount like mine. One of those bolts just won't let go.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 22:45
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #23
    I have never needed to remove horns either when removing the front bumper. The nuts for that are easy enough to get to if you know where they are. I can get a front bumper off a standard height '6' in under 10 minutes without jacking it up.
    You only need to undo the 3 Torx screws either side and remove the triangular arch pieces and then reach up and undo the 2 nuts either side and 3 bolts underneath. Job done. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 23:39