displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: car sometimes doesnt start
darzmat

Senior User

Post #1
hi guys yet another car doesnt start thread,

i have searched the subject but nothing really relates to what mine is doing.

i had issues at the tail end of november with the car not starting, so i gave up on it and bought a corsa.
now that ive tax'd and tested the corsa i would like to get the pug ready for the road.

before xmas i burnt out the starter by turning it over to much.
so ive fitted a new battery, new starter, new inlet manifold gasket, and new vacuum pump.

it's still the same as before, turns over fine and eventually coughs and splutters into life. but i have to keep the revs up until there is temperature in the engine, usually a minute or two if not it will just die on me.

after letting it drop down to idle and let it run for 5 minutes, you can turn it off and back on again and you would never think anything was wrong with it.

but i know tomorrow morning when i go to start it, it will turn for ages before firing into life.

risking burning out another starter.

any ideas guys??

could it be as simple as a new coolant temp sensor? would a lambda effect the starting of the car?

i lso cleaned out the icv.

any help is much appreciated.

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 13:01
rikky 🦔

Post #2
is it misfiring you mean? and from cold only? sounds like start of HG failure to me. i've had it a few times now and it's always been the same thing. is it using any water? is it smoky? temperatures ok?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 13:06
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I had an issue like this , I believe it was down to low compression on number 3 piston. I would recommend getting a compression check done. Mine was down to a broken piston.
Ross Thumbs up

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 13:11
darzmat

Senior User

Post #4
rikky wrote:
is it misfiring you mean? and from cold only? sounds like start of HG failure to me. i've had it a few times now and it's always been the same thing. is it using any water? is it smoky? temperatures ok?

no its not misfiring, it just struggles to start, but when it does start its fine. its not using any water, its not smokey and temperatures are fine, always have been,

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 13:26
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
Checked various sensors like the CTS?

There's an autodata screen grab in the FAQ section with correct readings.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 13:29