displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Harness height
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I know theres alot on not having harnesses bolted to the floor etc but ive just installed my modified omp cage with rear cross and harness bars but if anything my harnesses sit a bit high? is this as much of a problem as low fitting bars? Reason being is that if i move the harness bars they will end up being so small as they will be so small
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 12:32
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 12:33
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
That cross is a bit high leading to your problem.

Harnesses need to be horizontal to 20 degrees or so.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 12:50
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
Higher is better than lower, to a point.

Your problem is your cross brace, or rear 'X' is high. The Custom Cages one is pitched to that it's roughly central in the vertical plane.

They can be mounted lower with your type of cross brace but it means makint the harness bar out of three pieces so effectively you would have what looks like a straight tube passing under the rear cross intersecting the two diagonal tubes as they go up.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 12:51
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Ah im with you. I think its because the omp goes strait to the arches rather than the floor which when adding the x in makes the cross really high up .. Thinking about it my current seats are to high anyway so will be going down the route of welding in seat bars and going for fixed buckets rather than my current recliners so i can sit as low as pos. I think ill leave as is for min and then once ive got new seats all in and in correct position i can do a 3 piece bar like you suggest and that way itll be at correct height other wise ill be forever moving it
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 12:58
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
Check the MSA rulebook but I think its +- 15 degrees from horizontal but someone who knows (Welshpug, PhillipM will confirm/correct me shortly)

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 13:03
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I've been looking on google and most say no lower than 15deg but none mention about higher although I guess aim for as parallel as possible bit at least for now its still better than being on the floor I guess
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 13:11
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
Yeah, the tolerance allows for +- off vertical so it could be 15 degree (If thats correct) up or down.

Harness bars
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 13:27
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 18:31
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #10
There you go, thanks Mei. Quite a bit more leeway than I thought.

Harness bars
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 23:17
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Thanks guys ill test the angle once its back in the car after paint but I suspect its around 10-20deg higher than parallel with my current seats but will be really high once I drop the seats lower so will definitely need moving in the future
Posted 5th Mar 2013 at 06:48