displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: tyre labelling
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I'm running Parada's spec 2 on the 6 at the moment but soon after my track day at Brands they will need replacing and with now using the car every day i'm looking to change.

So the main aim is for a tyre that will deal with the rain a little better than the parada's, but i'm also looking at the tyre labelling and thinking of making my choice based on the best labelling for Fuel Efficiency and Wet Grip.

So i was wondering if anyone has done the same thing? and what they thought?

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 10:34
playboyb

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Pilot sport 3's in your size mate Thumbs up

306 1.8 xs moonstone blue-SOLD
306 gti6 supercharged china blue-SOLD
406 coupe D9 3.0 V6-SOLD

Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 10:47
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I thought they were awesome in the wet... Wink
As sam says, ps3s. The pe2s are awesome and I imagine the ps3s are better. If they did them in my size, id snap them up. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 10:49
pete26

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Just put some Kumho ecsta le sports on the fam wagon in 17s seems quite a reasonable price for a daily tyre but also an other one for Pe3s

Ph2 Black GTI6
Ph3 China GTI6
206 xsi manstone daily runner (GAY)
Ph1 Cherry Red GTI6
307 HDi 110

Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 19:04
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
PE2's will soon be replaced in 15" size with PS3's. I'm not sure on the Pilot Sports, but the Pilot Exalto's aren't great for fuel economy

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 20:28
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Depending if you want to go to the end of the spectrum, I run Michelin Energy Savers on my Hdi daily driver - they're obviously not pushed as hard as a GTi6 would push them, but I don't exactly drive like Miss Daisy. Smile

Last for ages too unlike most performance orientated tyres.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 21:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
daver6 wrote:
I'm not sure on the Pilot Sports, but the Pilot Exalto's aren't great for fuel economy

I never found that an issue, still getting mid to high 30's from my 205 even on winter tyres after changing from falkens to PE2's.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 22:12
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
First thing to do is throw that EU bs out the window.

Second is buy PS3s

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 13:52
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
daver6 wrote:
I'm not sure on the Pilot Sports, but the Pilot Exalto's aren't great for fuel economy

I never found that an issue, still getting mid to high 30's from my 205 even on winter tyres after changing from falkens to PE2's.

I'm sure I just pulled a sticker off with fuel economy F or G or something crap like that, so not what the OP is after Dunno

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 14:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
michelin energy's ftmfw if you only want economy...

considering its a charged 6, I wouldn't be considering economy whatsoever, just grip and longevity.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Mar 2013 at 18:25
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
daver6 wrote:
welshpug! wrote:
daver6 wrote:

I'm sure I just pulled a sticker off with fuel economy F or G or something crap like that, so not what the OP is after Dunno

That's why i was thinking of changing to another set of tyres and see if it makes any differance at all. Am tempted to put the same tyres i'm running back on though.

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 5th Mar 2013 at 19:17
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Linglongs FTMFWYO
Posted 6th Mar 2013 at 00:22
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
lee_gti6 wrote:
daver6 wrote:
welshpug! wrote:
daver6 wrote:

That's why i was thinking of changing to another set of tyres and see if it makes any differance at all. Am tempted to put the same tyres i'm running back on though.
lee, have a go with Michelin pilot sport 3's. They will out perform paradas in every way im sure. I have not a bad thing to say the exaltos I use so I reckon it's a winner on a daily car. Ive had the exaltos on for nearly 30k miles. They now need changing bit thats pretty good.

Posted 6th Mar 2013 at 06:16
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #14
To be fair, Aaron does have a point here. Now that it is an everyday car, Paradas aren't really up there with the top choice of tyre. Whilst I have tested them at very high speed in monsoon rain without issue, it was done with tread temperature still fairly high and constant pushing on the tyres. As an everyday drive to work etc, I'm not sure the Paradas would like normal rain when the tread temp is cold, and wear rate could also be a factor.

As an all-rounder, you probably do need to look elsewhere, maybe Marshalls as you've had good experience with them before? Dunno

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 6th Mar 2013 at 12:22
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Allrounders mean PS3's
They are the best all round tyre availble for 16 or 17 inch.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 6th Mar 2013 at 12:25
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
stan_306gti6 wrote:
To be fair, Aaron does have a point here. Now that it is an everyday car, Paradas aren't really up there with the top choice of tyre. Whilst I have tested them at very high speed in monsoon rain without issue, it was done with tread temperature still fairly high and constant pushing on the tyres. As an everyday drive to work etc, I'm not sure the Paradas would like normal rain when the tread temp is cold, and wear rate could also be a factor.

As an all-rounder, you probably do need to look elsewhere, maybe Marshalls as you've had good experience with them before? Dunno

Im supprised to hear you say that stan. When I complained about yokos in the wet under normal driving you mocked...
But im interested in the marshals but cant find much about them. If I was him though, id plump for Michelin or contact sport or the fast response's. Smile

Posted 6th Mar 2013 at 16:50
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #17
Aaron, I still think the Paradas are decent tyres in the wet, I personally haven't had a problem with them in the wet under normal driving, but I'm not ruling it out. You say you have had a problem with them, and I've no reason to disbelieve you, I have just never experienced this. Also, when you complained about the tyres you were driving a different car to a 306, so that may have been a large contributory factor to the issue, we will never know.

I still say they are brilliant tyres, however I changed to R888's in 2011 as in 2010 I managed to overheat the Parada treads on both Silverstone GP circuit and also on the road in the French mountains. When that occurred on both occasions, they immediately made the car feel like it was on black ice and I made the decision to change to trackday tyres for the following year.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 6th Mar 2013 at 23:14
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #18
Stans opinion doesnt count, he doesnt drive it. Razz

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 07:55
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Aaron, I still think the Paradas are decent tyres in the wet, I personally haven't had a problem with them in the wet under normal driving, but I'm not ruling it out. You say you have had a problem with them, and I've no reason to disbelieve you, I have just never experienced this. Also, when you complained about the tyres you were driving a different car to a 306, so that may have been a large contributory factor to the issue, we will never know.

I still say they are brilliant tyres, however I changed to R888's in 2011 as in 2010 I managed to overheat the Parada treads on both Silverstone GP circuit and also on the road in the French mountains. When that occurred on both occasions, they immediately made the car feel like it was on black ice and I made the decision to change to trackday tyres for the following year.
Im only jesting stanley. But whatever the cause of extreme slipperyness they never did agree with an impreza.

Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 08:14
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #20
The only thing I can think of which would make a considerable difference is that the Impreza was quite a bit heavier than the 306 and therefore has more mass to slide in the wet perhaps?

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 09:32
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Probably. Either way the eagle f1s sorted it right out. Smile

Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 09:57
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #22
welshpug! wrote:
Stans opinion doesnt count, he doesnt drive it. Razz

Not for much longer, I actually fired it up for the first time in 18 months on Saturday 2nd March, will back on the road in two weeks time. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 7th Mar 2013 at 11:02