displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: New GTi6 - bits to do/needed HELP :)
valentin

Post #1
Hello everybody,

Recently swapped my veccy C for a Gti6, still unsure on this move atm as I am not the biggest fan of french cars...sorry dont mean to offend anyone.

Anyway the car I have is a phase 3 Gti6 in Black, 140k it has full service history with work for performance clutch PITA as its snappy, HG done , Suspension arms, and cambelt although the last change was not recorded by the owner so I am having the belt checked shortly even though its not due for another 6k from the previously recorded change but i know that these can snap early.

Plans:

1. I have rear tinted lights which i want to swap back to standard, so anyone whose interested let me know

2. I want some 17" wheels in exchange plus cash for my cyclones, perfect condition, Michelin tyres with decent tread left.

3. I need to start budgeting for new brake discs and pads, all round, if anyone has a good deal let me know

4. I am having to grease my gear linkages as they creak, specially from 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse.

5. Tighten up interior to try and rid some rattles

6. De-wiper and tint rear window as its the only one not done...

7. new driver seat, usual tears on mine , any bucket seat that fit from other cars to give me a lower driving position

8. Might get a sub too, but this is not important atm.

Sorry for all the points, hope you guys can give me some good advice, this is now my daily driver, as we are moving 6miles from work so I can finally have s fun car to travel in, was originally looking at a MG ZS, but everyone kept telling me that the gti6 is special so i had to try one

Here are some pics

I have always been a keen forum member on all my previous cars, so sure Ill be on here regularly to ask for help and offer what I can

Thanks In Advance
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 11:09
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
valentin wrote:
Recently swapped my veccy C for a Gti6, still unsure on this move atm as I am not the biggest fan of french cars...sorry dont mean to offend anyone.

LOL coming from a shopping trolley owner Doh

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 12:18
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Don't really need to budget for brakes on these cars the standard stuff is good and costs f**k all.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 16:12
valentin

Post #4
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
valentin wrote:

Ok, the veccy is not something i wanted, was good to commute though Smile my fav car was a volvo t4, and i will admit the pug is defo a grower
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 16:34
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
valentin wrote:
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
valentin wrote:

Ok, the veccy is not something i wanted, was good to commute though Smile my fav car was a volvo t4, and i will admit the pug is defo a grower

You'll love the Pug... then you'll hate it, then love it... then you'll have spent loads and amassed a vast array of spare parts and will have to stay true to the brand....

What's the condition of the rear beam? I know they're often well past their best at that mileage, regardless of care. (Note the use of often before someone says "Mine is on 6.34million miles and the back end doesn't creak" :p)

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 16:51
mcvite

Regular

Post #6
Hi mate welcome to the club, there will be a lot of forum members on here how will be able to assist you and advise you if and when you need it, enjoy your purchase Thumbs up

http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q486/mcvite/
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 16:51
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
valentin wrote:
Hello everybody,

it has full service history with work for performance clutch PITA as its snappy

I might be wrong, but it might just need a new cable? As they're self adjusting, I'd have thought a cable change would/should go with the clutch? Perhaps you've got a s**tty old cable and new(ish) clutch?

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 16:53
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I'm in a bit of a mood, so apologies in advance, here are my thoughts:

valentin wrote:
1. I have rear tinted lights which i want to swap back to standard, so anyone whose interested let me know

No-one will be interested. Burn them with fire. Or if anyone does PM you saying they're interested, please report them to admin so they can be banned.

valentin wrote:
2. I want some 17" wheels

You really don't.

valentin wrote:
3. I need to start budgeting for new brake discs and pads, all round, if anyone has a good deal let me know

Bad times, less than £100 for the lot. They will not be the most expensive thing to go wrong by a long way.

valentin wrote:
4. I am having to grease my gear linkages as they creak, specially from 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse.

Get some new ones from Miles, they're far better.

valentin wrote:
5. Tighten up interior to try and rid some rattles

15 year old French car? It was probably like that out of the factory.

valentin wrote:
6. De-wiper and tint rear window as its the only one not done...

OR

Remove the rest of the tints Dunno

valentin wrote:
7. new driver seat, usual tears on mine , any bucket seat that fit from other cars to give me a lower driving position

You won't really get a lower driving position unless you're willing to lose access to rear seats and the ability to run the seat on sliders, and any aftermarket reclining seat on sliders will weigh as much as a moon and be bloody awful. I'd try and source a good condition standard seat if I were you.

valentin wrote:
8. Might get a sub too, but this is not important atmever.

FTFY.

Welcome along mate, car will look good once it's back to standard Wave

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:07
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
They handle best on 15" wheels, although bigger wheels can look great they aren't as good to drive.
Have you tried just cleaning the rear lights with some solvent - looks like its just paint. Tbh anyone breaking a car on here will have the rear lights for next to bugger all. Very rarely sell.

Creak on the gear linkages could also be noise from the top engine mount - prone to snapping under the circular rubber mount. The seats do sit you quite high, not much you can do tbh. Good un-torn drivers seats are quite expensive. Just sold a good set of seats for £150+.

Your front window tints are illegal, its entirely your choice (I don't care) but just so as you know. That means you won't be insured either.

They can be great cars, but also huge money pits. When they go well you can have massive fun coming into corners at interesting angles, certainly a long way from the vectra Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:20
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
adam b wrote:
Your front window tints are illegal, its entirely your choice (I don't care) but just so as you know. That means you won't be insured either.

The sunstrip is also an MOT failure, I know this because every year I have to factor in the price of a new one come MOT time. Mine's for track only though, that's why it's okay for me to be a hypocrite. Plus it's a stupid rule, it doesn't even come down as far as my sun visors do.

But yeah, lose the tints.

Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:22
valentin

Post #11
Thanks mcvite,

dave6 how do i check the rear beam, if it doesnt creak??? as for the clutch cable it has been changed twice in the cars life..

the linkages are fine, figured out its the gearstick ball making the noise...

Also I have red springs, does this mean they are likely to be aftermarket lowering springs

And owain all opinions are welcome, nothing taken personally, thanks for the advice

Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:23
valentin

Post #12
Thanks mcvite,

dave6 how do i check the rear beam, if it doesnt creak??? as for the clutch cable it has been changed twice in the cars life..

the linkages are fine, figured out its the gearstick ball making the noise...

Also I have red springs, does this mean they are likely to be aftermarket lowering springs

And owain all opinions are welcome, nothing taken personally, thanks for the advice

adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Is the sunstrip illegal? Why?

I ask cos I was going to chuck one on my track car on monday, before it gets its MOT Doh

Nothing to see here
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Springs - possibly, they do break the standard ones fairly regularly...

Nothing to see here
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:24
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
adam b wrote:
Is the sunstrip illegal? Why?

I ask cos I was going to chuck one on my track car on monday, before it gets its MOT Doh

Because anything on your windscreen that encroaches into either the driver's or passenger's windscreen wiper area is a fail, so it'll actually fail twice; once for each side. I learned this the hard way. Well I say "the hard way", luckily it's a Peugeot so it also failed on several other things but still, they were failures.

Very annoying.

Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:28
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
valentin wrote:

Good man Thumbs up

Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:28
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Just buy a pair of tiny wiper blades which you only put on for the MOT, problem solved. Wizard

Goldie the track car.
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 18:56
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Learn something new everyday, and today it is thanks to Owain... so +1! (who knows you may get MOM in March Wink )
Welcome to the club buddy, the car looks nice

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 2nd Mar 2013 at 19:00