displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Phase 3 Fuse Box / Green Relay Burnt Out And Cooling Fan Issues
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #1
So digging around my new GTI6 I've come across an interesting modification the previous owner neglected to tell me about: a burnt out (and missing) green relay in the cabin fusebox, along with a jumper wire (fused at least) which is bypassing it & some general molten plastic elsewhere.

Now having checked the FAQ there is no mention of what relay does what, and indeed i've seen pictures of the fuse box with and without this relay in place... does anyone have any idea as to what this thing controls, is it something not used on a Phase 3 GTi or indeed something important?

I was thinking engine fans (supported by the previous owner, who says it was like that when he got it and was to help with a fan issue according to an auto electrician who inspected it) and having done the usual test by removing the brown plug from the thermostat housing I find that only the left fan spins up at high speed... so presumably something within the control circuit is buggered aswell (this I can troubleshoot using the guides online, i'm suspecting a loose connection and/ or dead fan as it's had the controler replaced previous... apparently)

I've ordered a new fuse box from eBay to be on the safe side, and it looks as if the whole thing comes out easy enough, but I have a few questions.

1. Is the fuse box attached using a loom connector, i'm hoping beyond all it's not a case of removing and attaching each wire individually!

2. How do you remove the relay carrier from the car without the dash coming out (if even possible, again I hope so)

3. What does the missing relay do, and is it likely related to the fan issues?

I'm at a loss here so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 20:43
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
No relay occupies that slot on phase 3.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 22:13
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #3
Yeah, I did see that but wasn't sure if it was a generic Phase 3 or a 6 specific one... did see this which has a green relay in that position and wondered what was it was for:

Perhaps rear electric windows or the power hood on a convertable maybe, there isn't much extra that could be fitted as the 6 has the highest level of accessories.

If it's not used then even better, I can fit a new female blank, trace the wires and see what they are doing and clean it all up before tackling the bitron unit and / or fan relay's

Cheers
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 23:02
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
I suspect that your issue is that the fan which isn't moving is knackered and this is what is causing the fans not to work at their low speed point when the engine temp reaches 97c.

As for the fusebox, there isn't a relay there for Phase 3 as Thug points out, perhaps it is used on diesel versions for some purpose, I'm not sure.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 08:39
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #5
Yeah I think the cooling fan system has an error somewhere else, but the guides and wiring diagram seem pretty straightforward so I can troubleshoot and sort that one out on Sunday, im hoping a clean of connections / check of fan relays will sort it but worse case a new fan or Bitron unit is inexpensive and easily done.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions that there shouldn't be a relay there... Rear Window motors, electric hood or perhaps a diesel related accessory are all I can think off that would fill that slot. Couldn't find a definitive list anywhere of what each one does.

Do you think that the fact something has been plugged in (must have been the case, for whatever reason, perhaps by mistake) would cause the relay to short and melt out as presumably there would be a 12v feed but no earth to go to as the relevant accessory is not plugged in?

I'm still not sure what the jumper cable does but will know once I get the fuse box apart - hopefully I can get things back to normal without too much issue.

Cheers for your help.
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 09:46
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
Maybe someone in the past has found a 12v feed there and used it to power an added accessory, perhaps a subwoofer/amp system. Dunno

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 09:56
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #7
It did have wiring left in for the Sub / Amp so I half suspected that may have been the cause.... I can understand the thinking as to why the previous owner may have done that & perhaps replaced with the inline fuse after it burnt out a relay.

Either way it makes my life easier as I can just replace the fuse board & clean up the relay holder rather than re-wire a new socket .etc

Still need to figure out what the jumper lead does, let's hope it's a simple fix.

Cheers for the help, on a side note, what do you know what each of the other relays do in there. Can't find a guide anywhere.
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 13:00
rikky 🦔

Post #8
looks like an inline fuse holder but the wiring looks a bit skinny for an amp or sub Unsure

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 13:27
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #9
rikky wrote:
but the wiring looks a bit skinny for an amp or sub Unsure

Maybe that's why it burnt out the relay in the first place...Dunno

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 18:51
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #10
Looking at it - there is a missing fuse on the RH side, all the others have 2x 15a blue ones next to each other, and my car only has one.... so this would be the ideal candidate for the in line holder, which looks to go into the fuse box around that point.

Checking the guide this one is:
15A Instrument panel - Clock - Windows and heated seat relay - Rear wiper -Courtesy light

Don't know why it would have a red 10a fuse in line, but nothing much to worry about if so, I bought a new fuse box & relay panel from eBay for £18 so i'm hoping fitting that will get things back to normal this weekend and I can tackle the fans as a separate job.
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 21:02
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Your rear wiper clearly melted it at some point then as that's the prime candidate for nuking that fuse. Suspect it blew once, and some f**ktard put a higher rating of fuse in there.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 21:11
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #12
Tackled this one today - a big job that requires patience labelling up every single wire to ensure there are no mistakes & the fuses can go back in as normal.

As I figured out, the wire was soldered to the buzz bar and was bypassing the melted out fuse and spliced into the loom at the back, stripped this out and re-fitted the correct connecter and then plugged in a new fuse box and everything seems to work as it should, not a job I'd like to repeat.

I was intended to remove the singed relay carrier, and replace with a new one (just so it looks cleaner really) but there is such little space behind the dash and the fact it's unused meant I just left it well alone save for a bit of electrical tape to cover up a bare bit of wire.

Also discovered the passenger seat airbag connector unplugged, no warning lights on the dash so looked into it and there was no check on ignition which got me worried.... but it looks as if the bulbs had been removed, plugged some new ones in (along with the connector) and all was working as usual... seemed strange but then I remember the fingerprints on the clocks when I collected the car, I guess the light came on and as a quick fix the seller just took the bulbs out!

Few more jobs done, more to follow over the next few weeks... Thanks for your help everyone!
Posted 3rd Mar 2013 at 19:29