displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: 205 rust welded beam...
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Iv build a few beams myself, i'v already partly built a 205 gti beam and all fitted and wanted to take the old one apart to salvage either the whole lot or parts of it like arms.

The picture below is what i got after applying 300 tons of pressure to try and unseize the beam, whats happened is the tube itself eventually came out from the tubes end shock fixing brackets. Instead of seizing around the bearings area it seems to have rust welded seized before the bearing area, iv never seen this before and quite surprised its rust welded itself in that area. As for the other side, well that is in perfect condition, totally different to this side Shock

Has anyone seen this sort of seizing in the same sort of area before Unsure ?

I have sprayed some dry moly grease around the new beams seals, so at least it will keep the water at bay around the seal a little more. Moly dry grease can be used on rubber seals where wet grease isnt sutiable, ie wet grease attracts dirt and bits to it, which in turn will ruin the seal.

EDIT - unless some of the roller bearings has come loose, then got trapped which then started to attach between axle and tube then rusted in

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 12:12
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
yup, seen that before, though not with the bracket coming off the crossmember, once the trailing arm came off the arm shaft there was no point going any further.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 13:42
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
When it was being pressed out, the bracket was on the shelf as was arm, they came out together at the same time after a fair amount of heat then oil, was wondering if the bracket would break during.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 14:14
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I think its safe to say thats f**ked.
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 14:27
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
i've had the trailing arm shaft stay in a tube many a time.

but a gti6 arb whacked from other end has always got it out.

i'm with mei. never seen the actual bracket come off Shock

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 18:31
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If you look carefully, you can see the camber where its eaten away the top part of the inner tube. I didnt want to use anymore pressure than 300 ton, wasnt looking forward to a big bang or similar and breaking the bracket.

Before the car was on axle stands on the front for over a year in dry storage, the beam did have movement as much as the good side, the lesson learned here is dont leave on axle stands for too long lol, still would have been beyond repair though even if it had movement.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 27th Feb 2013 at 19:44