displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Volvo Help Please
gwyn rallye

Regular

Post #1

I appreciate this isn't a Peugeot but thought some of you on here may be able to help...

My grandad has a Volvo S40 (no surprise!) 2.0ltr 140 bhp diesel on a 55 plate...

He rarely uses the car so the battery often drains.

The other day he removed a dead battery and somehow connected the new battery the wrong way.... (positive terminal to negative etc...)

Since then the car has been completely dead.

I intend to go and have a look this afternoon to see if there is anything obviously out of place.

Any one with any suggestions where to start? Do these have a battery fuse? Im just hoping he hasn't fried the ECU!

Any help welcomed.

Gwyn

Bianca white 306 Rallye
Arctic blue Clio 182 FF
Alpine white 205 1.9 GTI
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 12:14
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #2
Oops.

Could try Adam he has had a few volvo
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 12:31
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #3
I've started a thread for you on the Volvo forums:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1355842#post1355842

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 12:47
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #4
That S40 is the newer shape and is likely to be similar/the same as a V50, therefore Ian might know if they have any kind of fuse to prevent damage.

When you do connect the battery you're supposed to leave the key in pos II for S60's and P2 V70's, not sure if this is required for an S40/V50 but something to bear in mind when you do get the problem sorted.

Edit: Ian already to the rescue.
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 12:49
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #5
I've been meaning to ask you for ages Tom, what's that place in your picture? Sorry for going off topic.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 12:57
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #6
It's Beelitz-Heilstätten, just south of Berlin. A massive abandoned hospital complex. Completely dilapidated and amazing to walk around. Bit of a heath and safety nightmare though. Went there as part of a Euro road trip a few years ago, I'd love to go back again: I really like places like this.

http://www.forbidden-places.net/urban-exploration-Beelitz-Heilstaetten_Sanatorium#.USDUcB3vhAI

Google image search Beelitz Heilstätten to see what it's like.
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 13:05
gwyn rallye

Regular

Post #7
Thanks for your help Ian, nothing conclusive yet on the other Forum but shall wait and see...

Bianca white 306 Rallye
Arctic blue Clio 182 FF
Alpine white 205 1.9 GTI
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 14:02
gwyn rallye

Regular

Post #8
Right, been there for a look... re connected Battery, central locking works, dash light's illuminate, but when turning key car makes no effort to start.

Also, steering lock is stuck on, it's not like an old car where a twist of the key releases it... it's just stuck in it's place like there's a solenoid or something locking it?? As my grandad parked it on full lock this may prove difficult to recover the car without damage.

Had a look at the fuses under bonnet... there are a few to say the least... nothing obviously blown though. Are there any hidden elsewhere?

Ian, would you mind posting this on the Volvo forum on my behalf please?

Thanks, Gwyn

Bianca white 306 Rallye
Arctic blue Clio 182 FF
Alpine white 205 1.9 GTI
Posted 17th Feb 2013 at 18:21