displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Temperature problem
ed_doe

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys,

Hoping you'll have some ideas on the following problem I'm having with my gti6...

Some will remember recently I posted about my car being hesitant on partial throttle, and very 'engine-brakey' off the throttle and at very light throttle. Basically after a few sessions on pug planet the issue was diagnosed as water in the loom increasing resistance to sensors.. So new loom time!

I got a new loom off a mate breaking a white ph2 gti6 and fitted it last weekend . started the car in the evening and left it idling for 10mins whilst packing away. Jumped in and the coolant was at 80degrees. Manoeuvred about the drive and then pulled out into the road to drive home, looked down and the temp was up at 90.it went up to 110 on the gentle drive home and stayed there until I turned it off. Same all Monday to and from work, and on Tuesday. Now the coolant had not been touched throughout the weekend, and the sensors in the thermostat haven't been changed either. Only the loom.
Skipping through the week, it's now had a new thermostat, been bled and rechecked several times, and the temp still seems to be very high... The fans also do not kick in when it reaches the 110 mark. It also waves about every so often between 2 of the increments on the dash, and erratically drops on temperature or raises in temperature occasionally. Now the rad gets hot as normal, the top rad hose obviously gets hoy too, as to the heaters in the car. So its definitely not air locked in the heater matrix. I'm pretty stumped.

This weekend I managed to source another loom in known good nick (taken off a mates gti6 only the weekend before as he's swapped engines in it). Everything else works as it should. I've unfortunately not had a chance to put it on pug planet, but I'm now completely stumped.

Oh also, when driving, occasionally the temp gauge jumps up from say 80 to 90 when I open the throttle, and then jumps back down to 80 almost ad soon as I come for the throttle. Now surely the sensor couldn't respond that quickly due to its own thermal mass?

I haven't changed the sensor yet, as I don't tknow I'd that's th underlying issue; the fans still come on when the brown plug is unplugged, I'm now just at a loss as to whether the temperature gauge is faulty due to the sensor or what, or the fans sensor is also faulty and the temperature gauge is then accurate and I've *ucked my car?

Any help would be massively appreciated, I'm pottering the car about as is for now but to have it fixed would be rather a weigh off my mind as it's my only transport to and from work currently!

Also one final thing, the oil warms up and sits at 90 as it should...

Cheers in advance!

'97 Black Dturbo 110,000miles: SOLD
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti6 108k RIP
'93 106 1.5n/a d: daily hack YAAAAAWN
'00 Ph3 Astor GTi6 117k Love
Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 18:04
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Basics first, are you sure the right plugs are on the right sensors!?!?!?!Whistle

Thumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 18:20
ed_doe

Regular

Post #3
Blue temp gauge sensor on top, brown fan one in the middle and Green ecu at the bottom?

Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 18:46
306xsi

Junior User

Post #4
Do both fans run when the brown plug is unplugged?
Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 19:02
ed_doe

Regular

Post #5
Yeah definitely both turn on when unplugged

Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 19:03
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Ed i already told you today not to bloody panic! The water temperature can not change as quickly as that gauge was working! Personally i think its a duff sensor so try putting your spare in and see what happens. Wont take you 5 minutes and if it doesnt solve it, so what?
If you want, you can drive up tomorrow and borrow my pug planet and go for a drive with it plugged in and monitor the temp. Dont forget, the blue sensor only controls the dial on the dash. The important one is the green one as that is the ECU temperature sensor.
Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 19:10
306xsi

Junior User

Post #7
There's a good FAQ on the cooling fan system which may be of help. Presumably the fans wouldn't work at all if the relays were knackered. Maybe worth checking though along with fuse f7 in the car. Replaced the temp sensor on mine not so long ago, wasn't that expensive so might be worth ruling it out.
Posted 16th Feb 2013 at 19:17