displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: can someone shed some light please? Sparkplug pic in post
andypinup

Post #1
Hi All

Ok, so I started the 6 yesterday after around a week of non use, and noticied she smoked a little (white smoke) left it to idle and blipped the throttle and it fired out quite a cloud of white smoke, oh dear I thought fearing the worst! So I then thought right check for signs of headgasket failure. Oil looked fine, no loss of water, no pressure in water, heater worked fine. I then decided to do a compression test, results where great 180,180,180,180 on the dot. But after taking the spark plugs out they looked like this:

I then swapped them for a new set and the whole car felt better, also no smoke at all. Blipped the throttle and clean as a whistle. What I'm fearing is something is fouling the plugs somewhere and maybe its overfueling badly? The last plugs where not old so something is not right here.

Thanks

Andy
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 11:20
andypinup

Post #2
Just in case the above pics are not working, the spark plugs where thick black covered in carbon
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 11:29
samavery05

Junior User

Post #3
i would say your getting to much fuel into the cylinders, im no expert and ive not had this before but something is definatly scorching the ends of those plugs.....

GTI-6.........Gold.
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 18:50
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
If it doesnt get used alot then it will just be condensasion in the exhaust. Over fueling the smoke will be dark. When were the plugs last changed?

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 19:22
andypinup

Post #5
It only gets used maybe once a week if that, just a weekend toy. Once I changed the plugs and gave it a good blast no smoke at all. The plugs are maybe a year old max, It's just odd they went that colour, could it be the lamba sensor thats broke? I have noticed its a new cat on the car - well within the last 8months.
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 19:47
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Ye that smoke was just condensasion, and ur def gettin a bit too much fuel so could be lambda

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 19:48