displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Fitting Buckets - Airbag Resistors
ed_doe

Regular

Post #1
Evening all,

I'm planning on fitting buckets on the weekend, but could really do without the airbag light blinking at me all the time. Can anyone advise what resistor I will need to fit to the underseat wiring for the seat side airbags, and for the seatbelt pretensioners?

Any links to suitable ones with the right resistance it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

'97 Black Dturbo 110,000miles: SOLD
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti6 108k RIP
'93 106 1.5n/a d: daily hack YAAAAAWN
'00 Ph3 Astor GTi6 117k Love
Posted 5th Feb 2013 at 20:58
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #2
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=144590

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 6th Feb 2013 at 07:58
niw

Junior User

Posted 6th Feb 2013 at 08:19
ed_doe

Regular

Post #4
Thanks for pointing me to that link Davey Smile I've already done the resistor for the steering wheel, just wanted to make sure they weren't any different to the seat ones...

Niw; isn't 2.1 ohms a bit high? If it works then perfect, I was looking at that set of 4 last night but hadn't bought as I was concerned the resistance was too high! Do you have the passenger airbag still wired in?

Posted 6th Feb 2013 at 10:20
niw

Junior User

Post #5
ed_doe wrote:
Thanks for pointing me to that link Davey Smile I've already done the resistor for the steering wheel, just wanted to make sure they weren't any different to the seat ones...

Niw; isn't 2.1 ohms a bit high? If it works then perfect, I was looking at that set of 4 last night but hadn't bought as I was concerned the resistance was too high! Do you have the passenger airbag still wired in?

Yeah I still have the passenger airbag wired in Smile it works great, I also have a resistor for my steeringwheel airbag.

I just noticed this text when I bought this kit:

These are 1.8 ohm resistors .025 watt with a 2 amp fuse included, which gives a total resistance of 2.1 ohms, they are wired into the car to replace the missing unit to fool the airbag computer in to thinking that the airbag or seat belt pretensioners are still in place, which will stop the airbag fault light coming on and also allow the other airbags to operate normally.

Don't worry, they work Smile
Posted 6th Feb 2013 at 10:24
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If you get harnesses too you can just take all airbags, wiring and ecu straight out

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 6th Feb 2013 at 19:46
ed_doe

Regular

Post #7
I've already got harnesses Manthos, but IIRC the new MOT regs state if the car was fitted with airbags from the factory, they must be present when the car is presented for test?? Meaning technically I'll have to swap the seats and wheel prior to every MOT...?
I mean I'm prepared to do this, but it'll be a ballache. Least with the resistors left in there wont be any issues with the seat connectors, I'll just bolt them in for the test and take them straight out afterwards...

Thanks for clarifying on the resistors Niw; I think a mate has a load leftover from his car, but if I'm still stuck after the weekend I'll be buying the ones in your link! Smile

Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 10:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
ed_doe wrote:
IIRC the new MOT regs state if the car was fitted with airbags from the factory, they must be present when the car is presented for test?? Meaning technically I'll have to swap the seats and wheel prior to every MOT...?

Nope, that was only an advisory. I've completely removed every aspect of my airbag system, and it passed an MOT no problems. I think they put a note on to say you've done so, but it's not a fail.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 10:45
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
ed_doe wrote:
but IIRC the new MOT regs state if the car was fitted with airbags from the factory, they must be present when the car is presented for test?? Meaning technically I'll have to swap the seats and wheel prior to every MOT...?

Not yet but i think its this April that comes into effect.
Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 16:50
ed_doe

Regular

Post #10
Aah bo***cks, my MOT isn't due until the end of May Sad

Nevermind, it wont be too hard a job to swap the seats and wheel over. Should be a couple of hours with a nice brew Smile

Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 21:25
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Had MOT yesterday no problem im told as long as there is no trace of airbags ie everything removed then if its not there it can't be checked just like if you take the rear seats out you will not fail only if you remove the seatbelts also.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 22:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Some goes for ABS while we're at it - an ABS light is a fail I believe, but as long as you've removed every trace of the ABS, it's not part of the test.

Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 22:08
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
manthos wrote:
Had MOT yesterday no problem im told as long as there is no trace of airbags ie everything removed then if its not there it can't be checked just like if you take the rear seats out you will not fail only if you remove the seatbelts also.

Wouldnt be so sure. I was talking to my MOT tester and he was saying they are expanding the mot database so that there will be a record of what cars at what ages, had airbags and abs. Where you have cars that could have, say side airbags as an optional extra for example, these wont matter as this is done on a single car basis but if like the 306, all ph3s came with side, drivers and passengers airbags, they will all have to be there and working.

Also cant take the bulb out. They check to see if the light comes on for a while
Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 22:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Yes there's nothing to say they won't change the rules again once they have this data up and ready, and even then it'll still come down to the common sense of the tester; whilst they're meant to be all working to the same rules, the reality is that many parts of the test are subjective.

Yes I've removed all my ABS so one guy might not bother testing it, whereas someone else might go for the "s**t, this guy's dicked around with his brakes loads, they're generally unsafe now" and fail it.

Eventually it'll all be so expensive for us to track cars we'll have to trailer them everywhere anywhere so it won't matter.

Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 22:33