displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Phase 1 twin optics won't fit
si_batt

Post #1
I've bought a twin optic phase 1 headlight setup, and I'm having trouble fitting the front offside headlight. As I push it back in to place, it fouls against the expansion tank on the side of the radiator. The headlight just won't fit without shifting the radiator back about an inch. Has anyone else had this issue?

The lights have gone in to a phase 1 XSi 8v, I didn't think the detail of the radiator around the expansion tank would have been much different to a gti6, but perhaps it is? Also I don't know if it is a standard radiator or an aftermarket one, it's not been replaced under my ownership but a previous owner may have put an aftermarket radiator in the car. Any thoughts?
Posted 4th Feb 2013 at 20:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
Fitted twin optics into a ph1 dturbo no issues, that had the integrated expansion tank as did the gti6 so can't think what your issue is :/

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Feb 2013 at 20:43
si_batt

Post #3
No, I'm not sure either. I've just been having a look at it, and he radiator does look like a non genuine one, but saying that, from the pics I've been looking at, it does look the same as a genuine one, so I don't think the issue is with the dimensions of the radiator.

I noticed that the radiator pins fit in 2 holes in the plastic fan housing / assembly. I don't know how this plastic fan housing fits to the car, but it wouldn't need to move sideways very much to clear the headlights, so my next thing to investigate is how this fits to the car, and whether it can be shifted sideways by 5 mm or so.
Posted 5th Feb 2013 at 20:46
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The rad hasnt popped out of the 2 clips at the top has it?
If so that could be why its sat an inch or so further forward.
Andy

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 7th Feb 2013 at 16:03
si_batt

Post #5
The radiator is sitting properly in the clips unfortunately. One thing I did notice is that with the clips in place, there is a gap between the radiator and the fan shroud assembly on the near side, but it is a close fit on the off side. If I could get the gap even so it is sitting further back on the offside too, that would do it I think. I initially thought there could be something wrong because of the uneven gap, however I then did a search on here and found that's pretty normal. Oh well, perhaps I'll just stick with the old headlights for now!
Posted 8th Feb 2013 at 12:59
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Sorry to bump an old thread but it is probably not worth starting a new thread just to ask a noob question.

Are twin-optic headlamps in a Phase 1 the ones where when you put main beam on they are a separate light/bulb from the normal dipped beam?

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 17:15
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Bump, can anyone clear this up for me?

Posted 19th Dec 2013 at 12:23
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Yessir they are. The inner bulbs are the dipped and the outside are main
Posted 21st Dec 2013 at 12:13
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Thank you.

H7 bulbs were correct then, and those are what I fitted so it's all good!

Posted 21st Dec 2013 at 13:30