displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: SORNing my 2nd Car due to no insurance
DanRM

Regular

Post #1
I swapped the Insurance over to my Gti6 on the 17th Jan, so currently my 205 is uninsured. I recieved a letter last week saying that unless I SORN the 205 I will have to pay a fine due to it being uninsured and not being declared as being off the road.

My problem is that the MOT is up on the Gti6 in 2 weeks time and I have a horrible feeling it's going to fail, in which case I will have to go back to the 205 as I wont be able to afford putting things right for a while with no job at the moment.

How does it work if I SORN the 205 to avoid the fine (as they seem pretty quick this time), but in say 2 weeks time I have to drive it again and put it on the road? as it currently has 4 months Tax on it. I know that an option would be to claim the unused tax back but it'll on be a certain amount.

If I un-SORN the car will I have to buy a new tax disc?

My plans as soon as I get another job will be to have both cars insured but for now this isn't an option

Cheers
Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 12:10
rikky 🦔

Post #2
that's odd, i have had my gti6 in the garage uninsured but taxed and never had a letter, and likewise swapped my insurance to and from it

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 12:24
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Insure it, all policies have to have a 14-day cooling-off period during which you can cancel it at any point without penalty.

Just cancel it after 13 days, job done. Worked for me when I quickly needed insurance for a new car once.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 12:34
rikky 🦔

Post #4
pwain 1, insurance company 0

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 12:44
DanRM

Regular

Post #5
Would I get that 14 day cooling off period when I swapped the insurance over? Or is that only if I were to take out a new policy? Reason I ask being that I paid an extra £190 on my old premium, if I were to phone up and say I'd like to cancel those changes and return the policy to my previous car would I have lost that £190? I've got 3 days left to cancel the changes if this is the case, then I would SORN the gti-6 as soon after buying it I realised I had been sold a duff car, so I can then take time fixing it
Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 13:05
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
It's only on a new policy, but you'd want to speak to the insurance company first to check the specifics.

Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 13:10
DanRM

Regular

Post #7
Just got off the phone to them, She handed me over to her manager and I explained to him that I bought the car not realising there was a lot of problems with it and that I need to take it off the road for a few months to repair it, and 9 of the days since I purchased the vehicle it was at a garage getting checked over.

He said he understands my problem as we're all prone to making mistakes when buying vehicles, he then explained if I hadn't of purchased the car I'd be able to cancel with a full refund of the premium change but because I've had it 11 days then it will only be a partial refund.

He put me on hold for 5 minutes and then told me that I will be refunded £175.30 of the £190 I paid when changing vehicle, the difference that is non refundable in this case is the administration fee.

Thought that's the best I'll get so I've swapped the cars back. So now the 306 will be SORN whilst I take some time and fix it properly.

Cheers for your help chaps

Dan
Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 13:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Not bad, I do seem to remember there's a loophole where they can take a "reasonable" admin fee, which it seems like they've done.

Good stuff.

Posted 28th Jan 2013 at 13:41