• Service history unknown
  • Cambelt changed: Unknown

Modifications: None

displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: 1996 Volkswagen Golf GTi 16v ABF
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi All, putting this up on behalf of my brother who is selling one of his GTi's. Great car. Any Q's fire away:

With a heavy heart, I have up for sale my lovely mk3 2.0 16v GTI. I have bought a diesel as my daily, to allow me to continue my mk2 16v project.

I bought the car in October 2009, so have owned her for just over 3 years and I have no hesitation in saying it has been the best car I've ever owned.

Currently has 150k miles (ish) on the clock (bought her with 119k, so regularly used during my ownership)

5 door, manual, NON aircon, sunroof model. PAS, elec windows etc.
ABF engine code
OBD2 Digi 3.2
288mm late spec brakes

MOT September 2013 (end of)
Taxed till end of March 2013

During my ownership:

Fitted full grey leather interior in excellent condition for age
Brand new VR6 clutch and lightened flywheel (lightened by Hotgolf from clubgti circles)
Regularly serviced by myself, including fully synthetic Redline gearbox oil.
Morette/quad headlights
GTI stripes
Refurbed BBS RZ in gold (not professionally, but look excellent)
Racing steering wheel with aftermarket boss kit
Kumho KU31 tyres, 2 have good tread still, 2 will need to be replaced in not too distant future
Painted/refreshed inlet manifold
New front discs and pads a year ago
White sports dials with orange needles, fitted by myself on the original clocks.
Fitted replacement front electric window mechanisms/setups as both had stopped working

Other positive points:

Full stainless steel Jetex exhaust, with twin pipe back box
Sports suspension - Weitec Ultra GT shock and spring setup all corners, excellent handling.
Aftermarket performance chip
Made a very healthy 162hp & 145lb/ft on Garage Streamlines Dyno dynamic rolling road
Doesn't use any oil or water, doesn't smoke, no noise from tappets at all. Very clean running and free revving engine especially with lightened flywheel.
Cosmetically generally very clean, no real rust issues, there are a couple of specks/bubbles on the drivers front door.
Tons of service history (including original bill of sale) plus a vast amount of receipts etc collected over the years

Recent work: (In last 3 months)

Nearside (passenger side) front wheel bearing
Cut and re-welded Jetex centre box (notorious for not being a perfect fit, this completely cured the blow and knocking against the rear beam, now quiet as a mouse)

Some negative points: - (Am being very honest as I have recently been sold a lemon of a french diesel and wouldn't wish it on anyone)

A leak has developed in the passenger side footwell. The cause is the front passenger side sunroof drain hole, there is a split in the drainpipe that should drain down to the bottom of the door, but where it is split, it is getting in the car. As a temporary work around I have taken to parking it slightly up an incline so the water drains down the rear sunroof drain holes. I haven't and won't have the time to sort this out before the car is sold, but it is a straight forward fix.

Slight dent in the nearside (passenger side) rear door. Barely noticeable, was caused by a prat turning their car around (and into my car) in my cul de sac. The vast majority of it has been pushed out, but if you look for it you can see that it is slightly dimpled.

ABS light is unplugged as it stays on. This is a regular mk3 problem, the car stops better than any car I've owned, so don't think the actual ABS is the issue.

Rear electric windows don't work properly, I have turned them off on the centre console so they don't get stuck down

Front nearside (passenger side) electric mirror doesn't work properly - however it is stuck in pretty much the correct position, so has never been an issue.

Advisories on a couple of holes and subsequent corrosion in the sill areas, more than likely caused by some idiot not using the jack correctly in the past (not me). Not in critical location, but will need attention in the future.

Few stonechips as per the norm, but paintwork is generally in very good condition

Pictures:

Note: car now has original 16v GTI grille and badge back on, gave it a spruce up because of stonechips etc, not perfect, but looks good.

I hail from Tring, Hertfordshire (20 miles from Watford) HP23

£1200 ono

Please PM or call: 07530772066

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 21st Jan 2013 at 21:58
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Bumperoo

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 31st Jan 2013 at 21:01