displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Head Unit Hole
mellowr1

Senior User

Post #1
Morning chaps.Thumbs up

Im now onto my next little task to sort and its the squeaking head unit in the dashCrazy

My car has a Kenwood head unit fitted but it does not have the peugeot triangular ended face plate thing fitted and it squeaks over bumps. I took the kenwood faceplate off and noticed the hole in the dash is slightly bigger than the kenwoods mounting cageUnsure

Does anyone know if i get a triangular ended standard faceplate thing will make my head unit fit better and illiminate one of the annoying squeaks as im sure most of you have non standard head units Dunno

cheersThumbs up
Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 12:15
darzmat

Senior User

Post #2
i think any time an aftermarket head unit is fitted it just goes on the rectanguar hole. the "triangular ended face plate thing" is part of the standard head unit from what i remember

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 15:47
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I think these aftermaket adapter things do make it slightly tighter as they slot into the hole then the radio slots into that.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 15:53
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
mellowr1 wrote:
Does anyone know if i get a triangular ended standard faceplate thing will make my head unit fit better and illiminate one of the annoying squeaks as im sure most of you have non standard head units Dunno

Standard surround clips on to the headunit so you'll definately need to bodge it or buy the aftermarket facia filler.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 18:32
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I have a Blaupunkt unit in my car and it was no probs fitting it. The slot, the cage and and the head unit will all be compatible DIN dimensions so should be able to be made to fit properly. A filler piece from Autoleads goes between the cage and the dash, but it looks a bit nasty and relies on the cage to hold it in place so I don't think it would fix any fitting problem. Best to get the cage fitting correctly by making sure bent lugs are holding it in place or get a new cage for pennies on ebay. Is it actually a Kenwood cage? Is the had unit properly clipped into the cage? If not could be the problem.

Look carefully and work out whether it is the head unit moving in the cage, or the cage moving in the dash, pulling it out of the dash and refitting if necessary. Then go from there.

Top tip: before removing the head unit, put 2 layers of masking tape on the fascia around the head unit, as the back of the radio has sharp corners and will scratch the **** out of your fascia very easily when you are lining it up to put it back in.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 23:29
woody.

Senior User

Post #6
Does you headunit have a hole in the back where a bolt would go in? In the back of my alpine unit it has a bolt sticking out that fits into a little square hole in the bulkhead. Have a look at the bulkhead through the headunit hole with a torch and u should see it. HTH
Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 23:56
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
just fit a supercharger, you wont hear the squeeks then

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 23:59
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
buzzbrightyear wrote:

Is that how Katie rolls? No squeaks...

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 01:48
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
thugpuggin wrote:
buzzbrightyear wrote:

Is that how Katie rolls? No squeaks...

She squeeks, skwarks and screeches al day long, gets on my tits

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 11:58
mellowr1

Senior User

Post #10
ok men,thought id show ya what i gotSmile
this is it with faceplate on

this is the cage sat in dash hole.notice gap at top and cage bent up to bridge gapUnsure

right hand side is straight and shows the small gap between unit and dash

Not sure if its genuine kenwood cage as only just bought removal tools but i would hope it is.il check the bolt in the rear once i pull it out hopefully next couple of days if i get timeThumbs up
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 16:25
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
My kenwood is the same. Rattles about all over the place. I wrapped the cage in body work tape and jammed it in there and that stopped it for a bit but problem is it soon starts to rattle again.
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 20:44
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Can't say I've ever had a rattly head unit with either the Alpine I had in my XS or the Sony I have in my '6 now. Are you sure the cage is pinned in place with the little bendable tabs properly? Maybe kenwood stuff is just a little smaller...

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 9th Jan 2013 at 00:34