displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: rear wiper arm
funscott

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
am i right in thinking if my wiper arm has cracked all i need is a new wiper arm. does the spindle on the motor come with the arm or is it a part of the motor?. should it be a cause of new arm and push it over the spindle or do they come with the arm and i need to work out how to get the spindle off?

silly question i know but this arm only lasted 13 years without being replaced.

Join Quidco the top cash back site and earn £1.25 from my referral link (once you earn £5) http://www.quidco.com/user/571859/1838
Posted 4th Jan 2013 at 17:20
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Is there a tip to remove the wiper arm without breaking the glass at all ?

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 23:51
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Right, the arm comes off the spindle - it has to in order to remove the motor upon replacing.

On the older models - the wiper arm is bolted in i know for sure.
On the newer ones (looks out the window at mine) I assume that plastic cap prises up and again un-bolts.
Once you have unbolted it - to get the wiper arm off you need to wiggle it from side to side without being too forceful until it loosens, and then gently lift off in the process of wiggling.

I've never heard of someone breaking the glass before now though Wink

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 08:09
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
CUJ did... Laugh my ass off

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 10:40
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
If your issue is that the alloy bush has come apart from the plastic wiper arm it is moulded to, then the answer is yes, all you need is another arm. The motor spindle is a separate part. The alloy bush on the arm is pushed down onto tapered splines on the spindle and held there with a 10mm(?) bolt.

Copious quantities of release fluid helps, as the alloy bush on the arm and the taper splined part of the (steel) spindle all corrode together nicely when plenty of road salt and dampness over years is added into the mix.

I'd squirt the bolt and spindle daily for a few days with WD40 before attempting to undo. Take bolt off, then as Rich says wiggle arm until it comes off the spindle. Don't apply too much force to it, let the WD40 do the work.

I've got a P2 motor with a P3 arm on it, so those bits at least are interchangeable (although the spindle did need cutting down by 6mm as the P3 does not have the water nozzle feeding through the spindle).

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 11:18
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
mik wrote:
I've got a P2 motor with a P3 arm on it, so those bits at least are interchangeable (although the spindle did need cutting down by 6mm as the P3 does not have the water nozzle feeding through the spindle).

I've removed a phase 3 wiper arm from a phase 3 rallye boot with a wiper motor that has the water nozzle hole in the end of the spindle so not sure why you'd have needed to cut spindle, pretty sure my car has the same motor in it.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 17:28
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Thanks guys, i do rememeber someone breaking the glass, i just wanted to avoid it.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 17:38
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Maybe it would have fitted anyway I probably just assumed it wouldn't, but I measured it and it was 6mm longer so I made it the same length as the one I took off.

Or maybe I was removing unnecessary material for lightness cos it's a Rallye Whistle

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 17:41
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
mik wrote:
Or maybe I was removing unnecessary material for lightness cos it's a Rallye Whistle

Laugh When Servicebox is working I'm going to try and find out...

I'd advise just take the moths out your wallet before driving, will probably equal the same weight saved.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 17:46
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Hmm The rallye I broke and mine have same part but an older phase 2 I broke has different part number so maybe the 6mm is the difference. What I'd give for an extra 6mm...

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 18:05
funscott

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
yup i have a ph3 so no waterjet. the wiper arm came off easy as it had cracked. like you said lots of salt in there. I have a new wiper arm on order Smile

Join Quidco the top cash back site and earn £1.25 from my referral link (once you earn £5) http://www.quidco.com/user/571859/1838
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 20:46
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
funscott wrote:
yup i have a ph3 so no waterjet. the wiper arm came off easy as it had cracked. like you said lots of salt in there. I have a new wiper arm on order Smile

Glad you sorted it. When you put the new one back on, i'd put some copper grease or something on the splines to stop it seizing again. Smile

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 21:15
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
thugpuggin wrote:
Hmm The rallye I broke and mine have same part but an older phase 2 I broke has different part number so maybe the 6mm is the difference. What I'd give for an extra 6mm...

They were distinctly different - apart from the length difference, there was no Jap's eye...I mean nozzle hole in the P3 one, it was solid.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 22:42
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
thugpuggin wrote:
mik wrote:

Laugh When Servicebox is working I'm going to try and find out...

I'd advise just take the moths out your wallet before driving, will probably equal the same weight saved.

Instead of opening my wallet I usually just have a dump. Way more effective in terms of weight-saving. Be even more effective if I just laid off the sauce over the holiday season.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 22:44