displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: In car camera.
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #1
Does anybody have one of these? I'm looking at getting one and I don't mean for track use, it's just for the road in case of accidents and stuff.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 19:44
rikky 🦔

Post #2
road hawk ftw

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 19:45
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #3
I was looking at them but the picture quality seems to be quite poor for the price of it.

Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 19:48
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
ian7675 wrote:
it's just for the road in case of accidents and stuff to show you that Thug never lets me out of a junction on his way to work.

EFA

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 19:53
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I thought the recent evo thread was a glowing reccomendation for the road hawk.
Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:04
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I think Owain bought one a few months ago, might be worth sending him a PM.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:06
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Road hawk ftmfw plenty of vids on it

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:09
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #8
The Evo thread was what got me thinking but a lot of reviews say the picture quality isn't really very good. I've been looking at some HD ones too.

These seem to have the GPS stuff like the road hawk but in HD and it looks better quality too.

http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/BlackVue_DR380G_HD.php

Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:26
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #9
thugpuggin wrote:
ian7675 wrote:
it's just for the road in case of accidents and stuff to show you that Thug never lets me out of a junction on his way to work.

EFA

This too, I'll show you all what he's really like.

Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:31
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
Will the road hawk not have more features for your particular needs that outweigh the luxury, but not the necessity of HD.

A road hawk presumably overwrites over time unless removed to look back over after an incident or whatever, whereas a go pro or the likes will have hours and hours of peaceful footage which will need to be cleared and started each time you set off. I was under the impression the road hawk starts up automatically under ignition and if the car was knocked/towed. Whereas you can bet the time you flip a motorist over your bonnet you'll have forgotten to hit record and miss out on the HD image of someone s**tting themselves mid air.

The GPS and speed recording of you hitting them at a legal limit will be more of a perk than not being able to prove you were in the right.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:36
    ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #11
    It seems the road hawk features are pretty much the same as the one I linked Dan. It does all that you listed in your post.

Posted 26th Dec 2012 at 20:42
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    RoadHawk DC-1 is what you need, that's the one I have. Easy to install, easy to set up, get the big 16GB memory card and it'll record hours worth on a loop. If you see something you want to keep (dwarf pushing wheelchair across road, etc) it has a big Event button you press, and that 30 seconds or so of video won't be overwritten until you delete it.

Also it records sound, but you can turn that off if you spent a lot of the time in the car singing along to the radio of shouting at idiots like I do.

Takes 30 seconds or so to get GPS signal, install software on your computer and plug in the memory card and you'll get all your clips with a little Google Maps next to it showing where you were and your speed.

Only downside is it doesn't embed your speed onto the actual video file, so you need the software to support your speed. Don't worry about the lack of quality, you're trying to catch people pulling out in front of you, you're not filming Transformers 4.

Well worth getting one, makes me feel so much happier on the road knowing if I got pulled over for doing speeds I didn't do (as happened before) or if someone hits me, you can be as cocky as you like to said copper/3rd party.

Unless of course you're a terrible driver, in which case it'll only serve to prove you were speeding or the collision was your fault.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 11:45
    ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #13
    Thanks Owain but if I can get one with all the same features but in HD for the same price then I don't see the reason for getting the roadhawk.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:02
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    Ah yes I agree, but I don't think you will or can. I spent quite a long time searching around (albeit a few months ago) and the lack of HD was more than countered by the ease-of-use and the GPS.

If you find anything better for the price let me know, but the DC-1 is the de-facto for a good reason.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:06
    Chris28190

Senior User

Post #15
    Surely it being HD will use up more space on the SD card? Both do look good though, I've been looking myself.

Owain is it easy to take out my car? I'd worry about it being stolen as you can't really hide it on the window.

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
    Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:10
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    It would, but with a decent card you're still talking hours of footage, and you don't really need to keep it; even having the last five minutes is more than enough.

It's not for trackdays or to keep the video, it's just there to make sure you catch the point that dick on his phone in the 3-Series hasn't checked his blind spot.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:12
    ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #17
    Have a look at the link I posted earlier in the thread, if you see anything that's not as good as the road hawk then let me know otherwise it looks good at first glance.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:15
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    Ah sorry, missed that. Looks good actually, would be interested to see how well it works but if it works as well as it says, go for it.

The problem with these things is that you really don't know until you try. The resolution looks good, but cameras with tiny lenses are always pretty poor, the DC-1 is rubbish at night.

Get it bought, get it fitted, post up some footage. I did consider that you'd actually want one in the back window as well to catch idiots running into the back of you (although I know that's less of an issue because it's almost always considered their fault anyway) so if that one was much better I'd consider moving my DC-1 to the back.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:23
    ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #19
    I know what you're saying which is one of the reasons why I started this thread, the roadhawk is tried and tested but this other one isn't so much so I was hoping somebody might know a bit more about it. I guess somebody has to take the plunge so I might just get it.

There is also a cheaper HD one on eBay called smartcam which has a really good night vision but doesn't have the GPS features, looks good but I'm only saying in case somebody is interested in a cheaper one, about £85 iirc.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:26
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    Yeah, get it ordered. Then we can crash into each other and send both our footage to the insurance companies, let them decide which is best. Whoever has the worst footage foots the bill and loses their no claims bonus.

Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 12:30
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #21
    I have a Minidvr III from Dogcamsport, seems to work really well and I can get around 20 hours of runtime on a 16GB card. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 27th Dec 2012 at 14:23