displaying posts 26 to 32 of 32

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Peugeot 1.4hdi vs 2.0hdi engines?
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Couldn't comment on reliability but the 1.4 turbo diesels are surprisingly good engines to drive. My sister has a 207 with one and apart from it feeling like a bigger car than it is (feels bigger than the 307 SW my dad used to have) the engine was quite torquey, surprisingly so even at low rpm ans uphill.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 02:01
phil b

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
welshpug! wrote:
1.4 is a fair bit newer, which is a factor in why you don't see so many with higher mileages, as well as them being used as town cars.

206's rust, smaller engines use chocolate teapot gearboxes, have crap beams.

Nothing more scary than having to take my sisters old car down the road to Arnold Clark with the right hand arm flapping about like a one legged man on an ice skate hoping it'll get there

'97 PH1 'Sigma Blue' 306 GTI 6 project 'Tooters'
194.2bhp 127.6 dB
'96 PH1 'Black Noir' 306 DTurbo (project in permenant storage)
'94 300tdi LR Discovery (project gone dead and buried)
'99 td5 LR Discovery 2 (trailer tug and family bus) project 'in the garage getting chassis welded' (again)
The 6 can go fast, the disco can go anywhere
Built: 9 January 1997 - that's a Thursday
Skip Brown cars: tarporley Cheshire Tel: 01829 720492
add me --> philbrindley85@hotmail.com
TEAM: Snapper Sad
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 06:55
phil b

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
honestly3k wrote:
Only really asking about the 1.4's as my brother is hell bent on getting one in the new year and binning his golf GTi's to save money. Wanted to gather opinions on both engines really to weigh up pros and cons.

Also keeping an eye out for the right 3dr 306 HDi to turn up also as it maybe something i will look at getting. Not in any rush there though, as i dont want to spend too much...so if it turns up it turns up!

Just got some PE2's on some clones ready to go on the 6 but its p**sed it down with rain for 24hours here so not had a chance to try them out yet!

Have heard that the 1.4 does have the MA gearboxes which are a weak point. Apparantly the 1.4s have intercoolers though which the 2.0 doesnt which is a plus point with regards to possible remapping.

If i generally look towards getting the most bang for buck (ie. the most mpg/use for as little outlay as possible) then the 1.4hdi would win

Thanks for opinions so far

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to be under the impression (even tho u hate them) the Xsara 110's I.e. vtr trim etc had a intercooler???!!!!??

'97 PH1 'Sigma Blue' 306 GTI 6 project 'Tooters'
194.2bhp 127.6 dB
'96 PH1 'Black Noir' 306 DTurbo (project in permenant storage)
'94 300tdi LR Discovery (project gone dead and buried)
'99 td5 LR Discovery 2 (trailer tug and family bus) project 'in the garage getting chassis welded' (again)
The 6 can go fast, the disco can go anywhere
Built: 9 January 1997 - that's a Thursday
Skip Brown cars: tarporley Cheshire Tel: 01829 720492
add me --> philbrindley85@hotmail.com
TEAM: Snapper Sad
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 07:25
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
2.0ltrs over 1.4's any day...

How small is your budget that you're thinking of?

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 08:20
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Not sure on that one Phil.

Rich, not much around a grand. My bro is more determined to go diesel in the new year and has probably a bit bigger budget than I do. I'm just of the mindset that if a good one comes along at the right price then great.

If not then no worries as I still have a perfectly reliable car atm Smile (jinxed it now haven't i) Doh

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 09:19
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Well you'll easily be able to pick up another 306/Xsara with that money.
You probably have jinxed it now lol yes... Doh
Tut tut Wink

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 13:11
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #32
phil b wrote:
honestly3k wrote:
Only really asking about the 1.4's as my brother is hell bent on getting one in the new year and binning his golf GTi's to save money. Wanted to gather opinions on both engines really to weigh up pros and cons.

Also keeping an eye out for the right 3dr 306 HDi to turn up also as it maybe something i will look at getting. Not in any rush there though, as i dont want to spend too much...so if it turns up it turns up!

Just got some PE2's on some clones ready to go on the 6 but its p**sed it down with rain for 24hours here so not had a chance to try them out yet!

Have heard that the 1.4 does have the MA gearboxes which are a weak point. Apparantly the 1.4s have intercoolers though which the 2.0 doesnt which is a plus point with regards to possible remapping.

If i generally look towards getting the most bang for buck (ie. the most mpg/use for as little outlay as possible) then the 1.4hdi would win

Thanks for opinions so far

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to be under the impression (even tho u hate them) the Xsara 110's I.e. vtr trim etc had a intercooler???!!!!??

Yeah I think they do. Also, Autotrader's figures seem to suggest it's marginally better on fuel than the 90 HP version too. Win/win scenario.
Down to the better torque I assume...
Posted 23rd Dec 2012 at 13:19

Pages (2): 1 [2]