displaying posts 1 to 25 of 46

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: MR Glitch
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #1
A word of warning...Costly mistake! Recently driving home from work on a friday night I became aware that the rear brakes had decided to start grinding patterns into the nice shiny discs. Sat morning I nip round a few places to see if i can get it sorted. Picked up some discs and pads from GSF and off i went on a search to get them fitted; i couldn't find anywhere that would fit customer supplied parts until i stumbled into mr glitch!
There was nice chap' bespectacled and very polite; the garage looked clean and he said he wasn't supposed to fit customer supplied parts but as they were quiet they would fit them for me for £60.00' job done i thought. Car sorted; only off the rd for an hour; I'll nip off and have a pint and do some mooching around the Bedminster haute couture shops of east street and see what i could find in cash converters. Bloody great shops for mooching in they are! That was two months ago! Thought the job was a good-un!
Last friday night i heard the dreaded grinding noise again! WTF i thought. I only did them two fffffing months ago!
So sat morning i wasted no time as it happens, by now, i need two front tyres too and the tracking done; those Toyos wear out so fast! So I'm straight down to Protyre this time; no messing! sod running about trying to buy new discs! at this point I'm thinking there must be another problem maybe the brake bios compensator flux capicitor valve is unstable???? I'm a chef not mechanic! i just want the damned thing to work and not cost me and arm and a leg of lamb! Now the lads down at protyre sem to know their stuff! I explain my dilema and order two tryes and can they sort the rear brakes? the drivers side rear was fubar already, metal on metal ... it didn't sound nice! noo fuss no problem the car was up on the ramp in 5 minutes and ten minutes later the guy asked me who fitted them? apparantly the pads have locator pins one one of the pads on each side, the muppets had only put both pads with locator pins on one side and the others on the other side nor had they greased the cylinder up either? i asked them to put the fubar disc in a box with the pads as i would be visiting mr glitch directly!
Now I'm happy to say that when i got back in with the new tyres and tracked with sound brakes i kind of cheered up somewhat! the car was kind of wagging it's tail a bit! So by the time i got Mr Glitch i wasn't quite as grumpy as i ought to have been!
There was mr polite with his clean coverall and beaming bespectacled smile. "hello again" remember me i said? I put the box on the counter and asked who had fitted them? he pulled up the invoice and jobsheet and said erm yes. I firmly told him that i was here not for a refund but as a matter of public safety! the pillock that fitted these needs to know he has to take brakes seriously! LOOK! I showed him the disc and the shagged pads and told him what his numpty had done and how much it had cost me AGAIN! BY this point his inane polite "erm i don't know what to say smirk" had cut through and my grumpiness started to show! Is he here today? the Lad? as i'd like to tell him!
mr polite said it wasn't his w/e to work! but i could have a free MOT or something the next time something went wrong? my grumpiness gave way to outright rudeness and i asked him if he was trying to insult my intelligence.. as if i would take my car back to be fixed wrong again by that numpty.... no thanks

So ..... if your clutch goes don't take it to mr Glitch they are dangerous!

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:36
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
do you mean mr clutch?
Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:44
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
To be honest that sounds more like a caliper issue than wrongly fitted pins.

All they do is hold the pad in, more likely sticky sliders that weren't identified as a problem IMO

Ryan
Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:45
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
if so it does not surprise me in the slightest.
Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:46
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #5
calipers are less than 6 months old too were replaced with new in august!

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:46
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Strange, the pads usually just fall out if the pins are fitted wrong.

Sounds like a place to avoid though, have heard other stories of this Mr clutch

Ryan
Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:50
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #7
pugjim wrote:
do you mean mr clutch?

Stan? Is that you?

Did the last paragraph give it away? LOL

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:55
    dcc

Senior User

Post #8
    Its still pad material, it wont wear out THAT fast!

Unless your doing 10k a month which i doubt.

Sounds like you fitted cheapy pads, and have a slightly poorly rear caliper.

I would suggest you get them looked at asap, else youll be needing more brakes too!

205 GTI
    Xsara HDI
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 19:58
    Chris28190

Senior User

Post #9
    Sounds like a Garage in Coalville who left my front calliper unscrewed!! And they said 'bring it back and we will sort you out for your next job' as hell will I go back to a place like that. Another of many garages here marked off the list who take the p**s! Least I found a good garage now Big grin

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 20:00
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #10
    dcc wrote:
    Its still pad material, it wont wear out THAT fast!

Unless your doing 10k a month which i doubt.

Sounds like you fitted cheapy pads, and have a slightly poorly rear caliper.

I would suggest you get them looked at asap, else youll be needing more brakes too!

I tell you honest truth the pad was to the metal and the disc was deeply scored! FUBAR! in two months! ye doubters i should have photographed it!

the pads may have been cheapy ones. at the time i want fussed! but the ones fitted now are supposed to be decent but i have no idea what they are?

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 20:02
    scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    Ive had this before wher the locating pin on the pad wasn't sitting in the groove in the piston but on a high part, this made the pads sit at a funny angle and wear out unevenly and quickly.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 20:09
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    grumpychef wrote:
    I'll nip off and have a pint and do some mooching around the Bedminster haute couture shops of east street and see what i could find in cash converters.

Which pub did you go to, The Globe?

We are due a pint soon, I'm off now so if you fancy a pint after work let me know.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 20:42
    30ASTOR6

Regular

Post #13
    i have seen on various occasions when doing these rear brakes where one side has had the clips under the pad end and the other side on top! lol silly but cheap set up! When i did disks and pads all round on my 6 i got a pad fitting kit as a clip was missing! lol

TEAM ASTOR GTi 6

SNAP-ON SUBARU

SOON NOT TO BE TEAM DIABLO MEREDIAN (for sale)
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 20:54
    bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    Learn to do your self then you know it's been done correctly its hardly a difficult job.

When I bought my old estate the rattle pins were in upside down and caliper was sticking wearing out pads quickly and the discs

I always replace discs and pads my self as I trust no one No
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:12
    miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    very common and seen it more times than I care to think of, It's for the adjuster part of the calliper and won't effect wear unless uneven, Mind if they where Vtech items say no more

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
    Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
    New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
    We now also carry out Routine Servicing
    www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:15
    roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #16
    Chris if they need doing order the mintex kit off eBay (around 30 quid) and I'll fit them for you when I'm in bristol soon Thumbs up
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:17
    roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #17
    miles wrote:
    Mind if they where Vtech items say no more

Vtech Y0! LOL
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:18
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #18
    bigbadbowen wrote:
    Learn to do your self then you know it's been done correctly its hardly a difficult job.

When I bought my old estate the rattle pins were in upside down and caliper was sticking wearing out pads quickly and the discs

Jon and i once started to try and change the pads once (hardly a difficult job!) but we didn't have the windback tool LOL
    I'ts alright saying learn to do it your self and sit in judgement however at this time i have no means of effecting repairs as i am pretty much living in the car! I live with a crazy woman landlady having recently seperated from the mrs and have no where to work on it if I had the tools which I dont as they are in the shed back at the family ranch. however if ever feel the need to volunteer some mobile mechanical service pm me! sometime the circumstances of life dictate the action of the moment! i need the car on the rd 24/7!

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:23
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
    dont need a windback tool, and I haven't seen one that will work on the bendix caliper.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:28
    scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    welshpug! wrote:
    dont need a windback tool, and I haven't seen one that will work on the bendix caliper.

I just use a little bit of square bar that I have

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:33
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    grumpychef wrote:
    Jon and i once started to try and change the pads once (hardly a difficult job!) but we didn't have the windback tool LOL

It wasn't windback tool we lacked as that's a screwdriver shaft. It was daylight, the fact I didn't want to smash the s**t removing the L bar as it wouldn't budge and we decided a beer was the better option.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:37
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #22
    thugpuggin wrote:
    grumpychef wrote:

It wasn't windback tool we lacked as that's a screwdriver shaft. It was daylight, the fact I didn't want to smash the s**t removing the L bar as it wouldn't budge and we decided a beer was the better option.

daylight thats right quite important that i still owe you beer for the coilpack that didn't work LOL

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:52
    bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    grumpychef wrote:
    bigbadbowen wrote:

I'ts alright saying learn to do it your self and sit in judgement however at this time i have no means of effecting repairs as i am pretty much living in the car! I live with a crazy woman landlady having recently seperated from the mrs and have no where to work on it if I had the tools which I dont as they are in the shed back at the family ranch. however if ever feel the need to volunteer some mobile mechanical service pm me! sometime the circumstances of life dictate the action of the moment! i need the car on the rd 24/7!

I'd do anyone's brakes on a 6 if they need the help no problem Thumbs up
    I'm getting quite handy at cam belts as well now Thumbs up
    Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:53
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #24
    roland rat wrote:
    Chris if they need doing order the mintex kit off eBay (around 30 quid) and I'll fit them for you when I'm in bristol soon Thumbs up

it's all over bar the shouting! but the clutch might need doing soon Wink i feel a little off roading coming on LOL

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 21:54
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #25
    bigbadbowen wrote:
    grumpychef wrote:
    bigbadbowen wrote:

I'd do anyone's brakes on a 6 if they need the help no problem Thumbs up
    I'm getting quite handy at cam belts as well now Thumbs up

thats gratifying to know mate and i don't mean to get all irate i'm just a grumpy git! when something goes wrong i just take it somewhere and get it done! if you know something is due and there is time to organise people thats a different pot of stew but i needed it fixing there and then! there are some very helpful and competent folk on here always willing to help and i have used their help and I expect will in the future! and winchester is a bit of a haul really if were being practical. but thats what i love about this place were all one big happy family! Smile

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 22:01

Pages (2): [1] 2