displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Exhaust issue
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I have an ongoing issue with my exhaust, problem is it becomes loose at the join where the fitting kit and fire ring goes.

As far as I know there have been at least three fitting kits fitted by 3 seperate mechanics/Garages, and it's always fine for a few months then becomes loose and rattles again.

Real annoying, any ideas what could potentially be causing it?

I'm booking it in to get fixed again, and the solid mount which causes vibration (gearbox one I think) replaced with standard one.

Pretty fed up of having to pay for a new fitting kit and getting it re fitted every few months!

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 14th Dec 2012 at 19:12
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Your top mount is prob shot and causing to much movement thus causing the joint problem Yes
Posted 14th Dec 2012 at 19:18
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Hmm I think it's been sorted will
Check with anth. There is definitely zero engine movement.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 14th Dec 2012 at 19:23
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Mine kept doing that until I had the top mount welded and the mounts all changed. I also found cheaper after market fire rings are tosh and that pug ones are not. Wink

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 00:54
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I guess I should have mentioned that the car was religiously maintained by anth as in everything perfect, done by Carl, and kept up by myself.

If top mount was f**ked or cracked surely my engine would
Move?

cress87 wrote:
Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 01:24
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I am buying pug oe kits everytime

cress87 wrote:
Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 01:26
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #7
Yep, I agree. A worn engine mount issue here. Wink

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 07:49
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Or who ever is installing the parts is using the wrong bolts ? I'm sure pug version come with 2 or 3 length bolts in the kit ?
Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 07:58
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Yeah they do come with different length bolts- The first time they fitted the new kit they didn't, just mugged me off with the old one and re-tightened it- what a move.

All those mounts are Baker BM not done many miles- isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the weld has gone on the top mount though.

Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 08:15
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Okay then, what about the robbers that hang the exhaust? Are they all good and present? Something's moving and it ain't the engine it must be the pipe itself.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 15th Dec 2012 at 08:49
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I believe they are all fine, really need to get it into a garage, just struggling to find time.

Real annoying though, had to drive to the pub last night with people from work and looked like a complete c**t as it's rattling like hell.

Will get the top mount checked and the rubbers, then report back.

Cheers

cress87 wrote:
Posted 19th Dec 2012 at 17:06