displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: clicking sound
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #1
Hi everyone,
I have been experiencing a weird clicking sound which is a lot like the indicator sound coming from around the dash/ steering wheel area/ fuses? not sure what this sound would be, could anyone shed some light on this and what I should do to correct it?Unsure

stevenage black gti 6, 198bhp
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:03
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I've heard of this before, either one of the following:
Faulty Relay
Indicator stalk making constant contact (Vaseline inside the unit making electrical contact)

If it's not them, i'm sure the other guys can give a better hint making me sound like a tard' Thumbs up

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:08
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
need a new indicator stalk mate Smile
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:08
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #4
rich306 wrote:
Faulty Relay
Indicator stalk making constant contact (Vaseline inside the unit making electrical contact)

If it's not them, i'm sure the other guys can give a better hint making me sound like a tard' Thumbs up

cheers mate, Im not sure what your suggesting? to put vaseline on it and where? lol Im interested to hear some more suggestions. I've recently replaced the green and brown sensors on the thermostat housing waiting on the blue sensor to arrive at the momentThumbs up

Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:13
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #5
Niall wrote:
need a new indicator stalk mate Smile

cool this sounds about right are they hard to replace/?

Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:14
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
easy. 3x t20 screws under the steering column shroud, remove the cover, 2 or 3x t15 screws fixing the stalk into the holder then pull it out, unplug and reverse.
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:16
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #7
Niall wrote:
easy. 3x t20 screws under the steering column shroud, remove the cover, 2 or 3x t15 screws fixing the stalk into the holder then pull it out, unplug and reverse.

Brilliant ill give it a goThumbs up

Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:17
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Demograffix.com wrote:
rich306 wrote:
Faulty Relay

cheers mate, Im not sure what your suggesting? to put vaseline on it and where? lol Im interested to hear some more suggestions. I've recently replaced the green and brown sensors on the thermostat housing waiting on the blue sensor to arrive at the momentThumbs up

mate the blue one only controls the gauge on the dash. no point really in replacing it.
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:18
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #9
Niall wrote:
Demograffix.com wrote:
rich306 wrote:
Faulty Relay

mate the blue one only controls the gauge on the dash. no point really in replacing it.
even so, Im trying to work my way through any faulty parts. If iv replaced the other two there no harm in it. Just trying to keep my 6 running at the moment gonna spend a bit on it soonSmile

Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 21:23
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Demograffix.com wrote:
rich306 wrote:
Faulty Relay

No, not put vaseline on it lol, it comes out the factory with a lubricant on it to A: keep it moving smoothly and B: provide good electrical contact. Unfortunately over time the lubricant moves making contact with the other metal parts forming a connection... therefore making the clicky sound and sometimes making the indicator lights come on as Hazards.

All you need to do is take it out of the steering column, prise it apart and clean it making sure the vaseline isn't spread across the two contacts. That should sort it, if not it will be a new stalk jobby! Thumbs up

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 22:02
rikky 🦔

Post #11
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=151758

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 22:03
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Couldn't of been put better Rikky! Thumbs up

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 22:13
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #13
thank you this FAQ looks to
Be very detailed and i will try to follow it as best I canThumbs up

Posted 13th Dec 2012 at 23:34
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
The only thing i can say is after removing all the grease, put a smidgen of Vaseline on the runners (very tiny amount) so that it reduces the wear a little bit more.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 14th Dec 2012 at 07:11
rikky 🦔

Post #15
bear in mind it'll conduct again though if you get more bits within it so be careful

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 14th Dec 2012 at 08:06
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #16
How do I open the indicator housing?

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 12:49
rikky 🦔

Post #17
see my faq LOL

small flathead and press the 3x tabs (6 in total, 3 per side) and the top mechanism will remove

Posted 17th Dec 2012 at 12:50
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #18
Thanks to everyone that offered their support, I took the indicator stalk apart, cleaned and added Vaseline. The condition of it was very dry and worn. The problem is still there so I'm going to buy a new, it's an interest task taking it apart and I'm glad iv learnt something newThumbs up

Posted 18th Dec 2012 at 18:47
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Demograffix.com wrote:
Thanks to everyone that offered their support, I took the indicator stalk apart, cleaned and added Vaseline. The condition of it was very dry and worn. The problem is still there so I'm going to buy a new, it's an interest task taking it apart and I'm glad iv learnt something newThumbs up

Hmmm, no problem for the help but it's a shame it's too worn for the part to work fully. Sad

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 18th Dec 2012 at 19:42
rikky 🦔

Post #20
did you rotate the circular contact as my FAQ says?

Posted 18th Dec 2012 at 19:45