displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: New seats and airbag issues
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi all. We just put mint seats in my 6. The plugs were all the right ones and marry up fine. However, i too have the airbag light flashing. So basically i am wondering how best to proceed.

The seats are a newer phase 3 seat with the airbag symbol on them but the ones we took out were the phase 3 ones without the symbol. Is there any difference in the plumbing of the air bag system in these 2 types of ph3 seats?

So, i do want the bags to work so whats the best way to check the wiring in the seat?

Failing that, has anyone done the resistor bypass on the air bags in 6 instead of a ralllye? If so, are ther pictues or a FAQ as i cant seem to find one.

Cheers in advance. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 14:54
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
right so both sets of seats were ph3? Both have a orange, red and yellow plug?

If its the airbag light (not side airbag) flashing, its a pretensioner issue. try reconnecting the orange plugs firmly.
Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 15:55
gti6girl

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Check the airbags have not exploded and been shoved back in. See if the stitching looks new
Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 15:59
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I did. Lots if times. I then plugged it all back into the old worn seats and was fine so 100% a problem with the seats. They are deffinatly .ph3 seats. But later ones than mine. All the plugs are correct. Connections seem okay as the plugs clip together nicely but I guess the wires can be loose in the plug.
How do you check the pretensioners? Can they be swapped from my old seats if they are gone? Ultimately though, I just want the light to stop flashing so if I cant work out the problem I'd happily do the resistor thing. I just can't find a picture or faq on how to do it to a 6. It seems to mostly be on rallies which only had the pretensioner with the resistor. Is this gaping to be different in a 6 with 3 cables per seat? Smile

Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 16:07
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
gti6girl wrote:
Check the airbags have not exploded and been shoved back in. See if the stitching looks new
The stitching looks about the right age. Either than that I have no way of knowing do I?

Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 16:09
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
if the airbags had gone, you would have both lights on on the dash and you would know about it! generally it destroys the sides of the seat.

Its definately a pre tensioner issue. You can check if the pre tensioners have fired. Look down the belt stalk and if the plastic around the steel cable is wrinkled, they have fired. If i was you, take the ones off your old seats (just take the plastic cover off, 1x 17mm bolt and unclip the cable) and swap them over.

Saying that, if you want to be 100% sure its not the cables, cut the plugs off and solder them. Pug released a recall in 2001 due to the plugs being a crap design. All they did was cut them off, solder and heat shrink.
Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 16:34
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
oh and if you do decide to just unplug and fit the resistor, its a 2ohm fused resistor you need but i wouldnt bother. Its a easy fix mate Smile
Posted 9th Dec 2012 at 16:35
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Just to put a result up.

Both pretensioners had fired so I swaped the both over (cheers stilly) and all is well.

Posted 8th May 2013 at 13:08