displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: 406 sri turbo conversion?
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #1
Hi all I may be able to place my hands on a decent condition 406 sri turbo and would love to have boost in my Gti6 Yes have many people done this conversion ?
Is it worthwhile?
And is it straightforward ?

I don't want masses of boost and huge power just the power delivery of a turbo and around the 180bhp mark would make me a happy manThumbs up
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 14:53
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Straightforward? Reasonably, yes.

Worthwhile? Matter of opinion really. They're 150bhp as standard and unreliable tuned. I wouldn't bother personally.

Rich
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 14:59
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #3
Rich E wrote:
Straightforward? Reasonably, yes.

Worthwhile? Matter of opinion really. They're 150bhp as standard and unreliable tuned. I wouldn't bother personally.
cheers rich I never knew they only had 150bhp i saw the turbo'd rallye on the bay and thought that's a good idea lol
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 15:03
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
A stopgap engine before the XU10J4R was released, bit of a Meh power delivery

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 15:08
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
There not a bad engine to be honest. There quite easy tuned to 200bhp+ that red rallye on ebay is quick. I know the lad who has it and i have had a drive out it.
Front mount intercooler, more boost, 205 1.9 gti cam and a remap will see you around 210-230 bhp. All depends what engine you get as well as they come with 2 different pistons. 1 engine has pocketed pistons and the other has flat pistons.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 15:14
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Waste of time, Having done a 230bhp one in a 205 it was more of a 5th gear torque machine than anything else, If you can handle the TDI driving experience then yes, or find some old TT parts and use them, A huge leap forward in driveability

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 19:47
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
miles wrote:
Waste of time, Having done a 230bhp one in a 205 it was more of a 5th gear torque machine than anything else, If you can handle the TDI driving experience then yes, or find some old TT parts and use them, A huge leap forward in driveability

Old TT parts?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 19:49
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #8
eddy_gti6 wrote:
There not a bad engine to be honest. There quite easy tuned to 200bhp+ that red rallye on ebay is quick. I know the lad who has it and i have had a drive out it.
Front mount intercooler, more boost, 205 1.9 gti cam and a remap will see you around 210-230 bhp. All depends what engine you get as well as they come with 2 different pistons. 1 engine has pocketed pistons and the other has flat pistons.
cheers mate this is all useful info I can have the whole car for £375 its an r reg covered 86k... Tnt'd ready to drive it home thing is my engine is sweet as a nut just not sure what to do.. . Decisions decisions
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 19:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
smegal wrote:
miles wrote:

Old TT parts?

Turbo Technics.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 19:52
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Moonstone6 wrote:
eddy_gti6 wrote:
cheers mate this is all useful info I can have the whole car for £375 its an r reg covered 86k... Tnt'd ready to drive it home thing is my engine is sweet as a nut just not sure what to do.. . Decisions decisions

You can get it for £375 yes but then you need a loom making up, ecu unlocking, speedo rewiring so it works, you need a longer bottom fork and back the bulk head in abit to make clearange for the turbo, then you will need a down pipe paking up, custom intercooler pipes, a good evofront mount intercooler is the most common one to use on these conversions and i think that is it Smile its all the extras that add up what u need to think about.
Also they only rev to around 6500rpm maybe a little more

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 20:08
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #11
quote:

You can get it for £375 yes but then you need a loom making up, ecu unlocking, speedo rewiring so it works, you need a longer bottom fork and back the bulk head in abit to make clearange for the turbo, then you will need a down pipe paking up, custom intercooler pipes, a good evofront mount intercooler is the most common one to use on these conversions and i think that is it Smile its all the extras that add up what u need to think about.
indeed mate I thinkyou have put me off tthis close to Xmas lol I ideally wanted a 16v turbo my old fiesta zvh was an 8v turbo and very low revving clutch killer with masses of
torque
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 20:42
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #12
quote:

indeed mate I thinkyou have put me off tthis close to Xmas lol I ideally wanted a 16v turbo my old fiesta zvh was an 8v turbo and very low revving clutch killer with masses of
torque
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 20:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
they don't rev to anywhere near 6.5k, most peak at 5.5k, it was designed to power big barges like the xantia, XM 605 and 406, the citroens had the CT badging, "constant torque"

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 21:01
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
The rallye i was going to get reved to around 6.5k. May have something to do with the 6speed box and remap maybe?

Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 21:09
rikky 🦔

Post #15
CT "complete toss"

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 21:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #16
Laugh my ass off

it might well have revved that far, but wont be making any power up there usually.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 21:13
boost

Regular

Post #17
i spoke to colin stewart at pug performance about this sort of conversion for mine n he says its tge wrong way to go he recomended boosting a 6 engine as the power gains are better but for 375 me personally id go for it just so i could have it dump LOL

97 1.6 xs gti6 conversion Smile scrapped
99 black rallye ( low miles and immaculate Thumbs up ) sold
new owner of a 2001 diablo red hdi mile muncher Smile swapped
99 red rallye turbo sold then died Sad
00 moonstone 1.9d (slow)
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 21:32
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #18
boost wrote:
i spoke to colin stewart at pug performance about this sort of conversion for mine n he says its tge wrong way to go he recomended boosting a 6 engine as the power gains are better but for 375 me personally id go for it just so i could have it dump LOL
haha yea mate that was what was thinking just need a spot of boost in my life lol
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 22:01
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #19
Extremely untidy engine bay with these.
That alone is a big no-no.
Posted 4th Dec 2012 at 22:37
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #20
tompaltridge wrote:

I'm in agreement here.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 5th Dec 2012 at 06:02
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #21
stan_306gti6 wrote:
tompaltridge wrote:

I'm in agreement here.
and me it'slike a snake nest lol
Posted 5th Dec 2012 at 06:53
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #22
You would be far better off boosting the '6' engine, even if you made it into a 'low blow' conversion. Much better base to start with...and tidier!

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 5th Dec 2012 at 07:19