displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: SPEED AWARENESS!
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Just been watching the News and apparently it's now throwned upon to have attended a 'Speed Awareness Course' by the Admiral Insurance Group as it is considered to be an offence, even though it is endourced by the Police as a constructive alternative to points on your licence. I attended one of these courses at the beginning of '09 and I found it very beneficial if I am honest, because at that point I had only been driving 2 years and I considered myself to be an inexperienced driver(unlike a lot of young drivers). I was also surprised by what I knew about the Highway Code, that the others attending that particular course didn't, considering I was the youngest and more than likely, the least experienced driver. I was the only one who knew a dual carriageway (with a central reservation) was classed as a 70MPH limit, clearly I use the Highway Code more than most LOL
What the HELL NEXT!??

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 17:13
TomGC

Junior User

Post #2
I went on one of these, the most shocking thing was that I was the only person in the room not caught in a 30/40 limit (79 on an empty dual carriageway with the cruise on). Some of the people there had worryingly little common sense.

There was worthwhile stuff in the course, but I felt it dragged on far too long at 4 hours iirc.
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 17:23
darkstar753

Regular

Post #3
Yea I've been on one as well and was amazed at the average age on my course, was by far and away the youngest there, some attendees didnt seem to have a massive grasp of the rules of the road.

I read the same today, I'm with elephant (part of admiral) did my insurance over the phone and dont remember being asked about a speed awareness course, certainly didnt lie to avoid telling them

Darkstar
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 17:31
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yea mine did drag on a little Bored I had been caught doing 36 in a 30 so it was deserved TBH! I also had to attend the course in 'Avon & Somerset' as I was going along the A4 in Bath and the A&S Constabulary will not let you do it in Constabulary where you live. Imagine if it was someone from Cumbria who had been caught whilst visiting family, bit harsh that IMO.

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 17:38
darkstar753

Regular

Post #5
See I got caught on the A5 near Dunstable, and they use the AA lot for the courses, so you could do it anywhere provided it was run by them.

Darkstar
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 17:41
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #6
A long while ago I did one which was 2 sessions of go karting followed by the video and a 'quiz'. Was very informative.

Did the same one not long after as I had to drive a friend of mine to attend one, and was asked if I wanted to sit in on it rather than wait, so I obliged and they didn't recognise me. Luckily there was a girl there who didn't like karting, so I took her place and felt like the goodiest of goody two shoes. They must have realised I had been before though when I flew through the quiz and when they passed the T shirts out and guessed my size but I stupidly said 'Had that last time and it's like a tent'.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 17:44
    arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    darkstar753 wrote:
    See I got caught on the A5 near Dunstable, and they use the AA lot for the courses, so you could do it anywhere provided it was run by them.

Oh, I stand corrected.

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
    2008 BMW ///M 320d
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 18:02
    darkstar753

Regular

Post #8
    arigti6 wrote:
    darkstar753 wrote:

Oh, I stand corrected.

On the other hand, some of them are run on a constabulary basis, so yea you would be a bit screwed!

Darkstar
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 18:07
    rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    I also read this in the news. It was only a matter of time before one of the insurance companies brought this in.

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
    You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
    - Top Tip!!!
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 19:24
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
    arigti6 wrote:
    darkstar753 wrote:

Oh, I stand corrected.

Said the man with the orthopedic shoes.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 19:26
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    rich306 wrote:
    I also read this in the news. It was only a matter of time before one of the insurance companies brought this in.

Just another way they can charge people more.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 19:31
    rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #12
    dangti6 wrote:
    arigti6 wrote:
    darkstar753 wrote:

Oh, I stand corrected.

Laugh my ass off

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 19:37
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    dangti6 wrote:

A-ha!

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 20:00
    jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    Never been on one of these courses cus I am aware of my surroundings, which allows me to do what ever speed I fancy. Thats why in the 15 years I've been driving I've never had any points. it should be a surrounding awareness course not speed.
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 20:20
    rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #15
    I went on a driver improvement course when i was 17 because i hit a lamp post at 90mph on the A30. Everyone on the course was 50+ except me it was either this or go to court for driving without due care and attention. Never been asked by any insurance company if i've been on any courses

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 20:24
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #16
    jsoulman wrote:
    Never been on one of these courses cus I am aware of my surroundings, which allows me to do what ever speed I fancy. Thats why in the 15 years I've been driving I've never had any points. it should be a surrounding awareness course not speed.

Quite!

10 years and no points here.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 20:26
    darkstar753

Regular

Post #17
    welshpug! wrote:
    jsoulman wrote:

Quite!

10 years and no points here.

Pssshhhh, never too late, my uncle took the p**s out of me and BAM 2 months later hes on the same course LOL

Darkstar
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 20:57
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #18
    i too have just been hearing this on the news and as it happens have just had a ticket and been offered the speed awareness course! in two minds now as points are cheaper...... £60.00 fine v lost day of work+ £80.00 i think it's academic if insurers are going to get involved i might just take the points. my licence is clean at the moment! oh and i was clocked at 64 on a dual carriage way marked at 50. if i did attend i would probably be in the right age group though at 50+

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
    items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 21:21
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    It'll always cost you more in the long run having the points, one company said it'd charge more if you'd been on the course, it's not all companies and they never said it'll cost as much as if you had the points.

Points are a pain in the arse everywhere, not just insurance. Police following you? If you've been done before, they'll be more keep to charge you again. Want to hire a car or van? Some places only allow a full, clean licence.

Do the course, never points.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 21:25
    jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    owain wrote:

Dont accept either. Lose your licence? keep driving anyway. Points are pointless, courses are pointless, a driving licence in pointless.
    Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 21:39
    arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    jsoulman wrote:
    owain wrote:

Dont accept either. Lose your licence? keep driving anyway. Points are pointless, courses are pointless, a driving licence in pointless.

Laugh my ass off

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
    2008 BMW ///M 320d
    Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 19:40
    swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    Seems us 306 drivers are among the best in the world!!!!

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
    blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
    Black p3 Love
    Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 23:30