displaying posts 26 to 50 of 61

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: Embarrassing problem -help sought
Chris28190

Senior User

Post #26
godders wrote:
Thanks for the ongoing help guys!

I've read there are two types of coil setups on the 2.0l engine. 4separate coils and one complete unit. Is that right? If so which one is mine? 1999 Rallye T291 KCK. Looking through the service history the plugs were renewed in Feb this year and the MAP in late 2008. No mention of coils though so its got to be up there on the list of possibilities!?

I'll throw a new set of plugs in there anyhow, and do an oil and filter change. Try and bribe it into working!

Have you tested the coil pack first? Pointless spending money on something thats working imo. The FAQ is in the link above.

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
Posted 17th Nov 2012 at 20:54
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
godders wrote:

I've read there are two types of coil setups on the 2.0l engine. 4separate coils and one complete unit. Is that right? If so which one is mine? 1999 Rallye T291 KCK. Looking through the service history the plugs were renewed in Feb this year and the MAP in late 2008. No mention of coils though so its got to be up there on the list of possibilities!?

I'll throw a new set of plugs in there anyhow, and do an oil and filter change. Try and bribe it into working!

Chris28190 wrote:
Welcome to the endless hassle of owning a gti/rallye Thumbs up

Oh god. What have I got myself in to!?

Nope you have individual coils bud

Lesser models have the all in one sh1t

Posted 17th Nov 2012 at 21:15
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Chris28190 wrote:
godders wrote:

Have you tested the coil pack first? Pointless spending money on something thats working imo. The FAQ is in the link above.

Coil packs either do or don't that's just how they roll there is no inbetween in my experience ?

But they do just fail without any warning Roll eyes

Been there had that

Which is why I have at least 8 spare for my pair of 6s Big grin
Posted 17th Nov 2012 at 21:18
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
That's why I recommended removing the plugs and checking.Wink

If all plugs are the same colour/condition/dampness it's going to be a sensor problem that's feeding the ecul info.

If 3 plugs are in good condition and ones wet/black etc it could well be the coilpack on that cylinder, or even a dodgy plug.

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 11:04
godders

Post #30
Well, turns out both my local motor factors are closed on Sundays! I could have sworn at least one of them was open until midday. Alas, I mustve dreamt it.

So the situation is yet to change. The fact I am working nightshifts at the moment is far less than optimal. My sleeping hours take up most of the daylight hours! Bring back summer...

I have some serious pieces of anatomy crossed that it is just a simple coil swap, or something equally trivial. I really need a car on Wednesday and Id really rather not have to Tax my other car for the sake of one trip!

Watch this space...
Posted 18th Nov 2012 at 18:50
godders

Post #31
So, today I picked up a fresh set of plugs, a coil, and a MAP sensor. Threw the plugs in and it seemed to run better straight away but was still missing intermittently.

Changed the coil on cylinder 1 for the new one... And it hasn't missed for the 15 minutes its currently been running for.

Surely it can't be that easy!?

Going to wait for a couple of hours until the home time rush dies down then take it out for a blast, just in case it decides to play silly buggers again and die!
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 17:18
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
That video you put up looks exactly the same as how mine behaved, mine was also a coil pack.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 17:45
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
godders wrote:
So, today I picked up a fresh set of plugs, a coil, and a MAP sensor. Threw the plugs in and it seemed to run better straight away but was still missing intermittently.

Changed the coil on cylinder 1 for the new one... And it hasn't missed for the 15 minutes its currently been running for.

Surely it can't be that easy!?

Going to wait for a couple of hours until the home time rush dies down then take it out for a blast, just in case it decides to play silly buggers again and die!

Could well be as simple as that bud Yes

Fortunate that you happened to change the correct coil Thumbs up seeing as there is 4 Smile
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 17:48
godders

Post #34
Just seems far too straight forward for one of my cars! They usually end up requiring a full engine strip down and rebuild and then giving to a man in a garage when its still not right!

A friend of mine, who has far more mechanical expertise than me, has said that with pencil coils, when one fails it is common for the other three to follow suit in quick succession.

Is this a familiar story with the Peugeot units? I hope not, they're fifty sheets a pop!
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 18:45
bengti6

Regular

Post #35
Similar sort of prob to what I had with mine a while ago, stuck another map sensor in been fine since

205 gti6 1989
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 21:41
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
godders wrote:
Just seems far too straight forward for one of my cars! They usually end up requiring a full engine strip down and rebuild and then giving to a man in a garage when its still not right!

A friend of mine, who has far more mechanical expertise than me, has said that with pencil coils, when one fails it is common for the other three to follow suit in quick succession.

Is this a familiar story with the Peugeot units? I hope not, they're fifty sheets a pop!

That's bull sh1t they never go like that. And no need to buy new ones as there are hundreds second hand
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 21:49
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Why would they follow with quick succession? There individual. Glad to see you have it up and running Thumbs up

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 19th Nov 2012 at 23:22
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #38
Nice one for getting it running correctly. Smile

Keep the MAP sensor even though you haven't used it yet as these are a common failure so you may need it in the future. Wink

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 11:09
hampstead

Junior User

Post #39
Thanks to everyone who's chipped in and helped here. The car is sorted now, much credit due to Rob, the new owner.

Cheers.

Matt
Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 23:59
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
renaults were known for all the coils going when one breaks, different rumour chap.... glad its sorted....

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 00:16
woody.

Senior User

Post #41
hampstead wrote:
Thanks to everyone who's chipped in and helped here. The car is sorted now, much credit due to Rob, the new owner.

Cheers.

What was the problem in the end?
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 01:18
hampstead

Junior User

Post #42
One failed coil pack.

Matt
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 06:21
godders

Post #43
Yep, it was a failed coil on cylinder 1. So a new one of those and a fresh set of sparks has got it up and running again.

Thanks for everybody's help!

There are a couple of other niggly issues which I'd like to investigate, but I will make a new thread detailing them soon. However, it most definitely won't be a project thread, as this is supposed to be my "sensible" daily driver, and is therefore staying STANDARD... Whistle

stan_306gti6 wrote:
Keep the MAP sensor even though you haven't used it yet as these are a common failure so you may need it in the future. Wink

You read my mind, it is already in the "spares" pile! Wink
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 16:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #44
do you mean cylinder 4? seeing as you're new to pugs Wink

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 16:57
godders

Post #45
welshpug! wrote:
do you mean cylinder 4? seeing as you're new to pugs Wink

Well seeing as you put it like that... I probably do!

It was the one nearest the timing belt side....
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 17:09
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #46
Yes, most manufacturers use number 1 as closest to the timing belt end, but PSA use number 1 as closest to the gearbox. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 19:53
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
So if i took my car to any garage and said replace piston 1 they would know its nearest the gearbox? Why wouldnt piston 1 just be nearest the belt? Always wonderd this

Black p3 Love
Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 22:24
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #48
not necessarily, most are clueless, and piston one wouldn't be by the belt because peugeot said so LOL:

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Nov 2012 at 22:28
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Laugh my ass off

Black p3 Love
Posted 22nd Nov 2012 at 07:26
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #50
The strange thing is that PSA decided to go down this route against every other manufacturer and I'm not sure why they did really. Dunno

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd Nov 2012 at 10:30

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3