displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: Lower Radiator Joint 'circlip'?
luthor1

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all,

going through my new 306 and unpicking the tapestry of disaster that is the previous owners' efforts on it, now moving on to the cooling system.

The lower drivers side rad outlet has a kind of connector I am unfamiliar with; you push together the pipes then use what looks to be a large 'cir-clip' to prevent them bursting apart.

My lower radiator pipes are missing this cir-clip and have popped apart emptying the coolant! Charming!

So I'm wondering if anyone has one, or knows the name of it or something so I can buy one?

Looks an easy job to sort, just need the bit!!

Thanks in advance
Andy
Posted 16th Nov 2012 at 16:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Peugeot part number 1339 95 if it's the same as the one used on the plastic thermostat elbow. ~£1.76 from peugeot according to servicebox. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th Nov 2012 at 17:05
luthor1

Junior User

Post #3
Ok 6-minutes, that's pretty fast response!!

Thanks I will get a couple ordered I reckon Smile
Posted 16th Nov 2012 at 17:18
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
prism7guy wrote:
if it's the same as the one used on the plastic thermostat elbow

It is. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 16th Nov 2012 at 18:44
luthor1

Junior User

Post #5
Hi again guys,

I've found that actually the circlip on the bottom of the radiator had not popped off! It's a bugger of a location to get near! I assume the bumper coming off makes this a whole load easier??

Actually looking at is closer, the hose pipe that comes down the drivers side and goes through the chassis into the radiator, has 3 little bumps on it. These push in to the radiator which has 2 slits on it, the circlip goes in to the slits and holds the bumps in place?

It looks like the hose is just at the wrong angle because the bumps are hidden from the grooves, when the circlip goes on, it doesn't find a bump to hold on to?

Anyone seen this before? If so which to change - the radiator or the hose?

The radiator has been replaced at some point but they removed the automatic fan activation circuit and replaced it with a switch in the car! It's a right nightmare! But will fix that bit later, now I need to get this hose in and held on

Any ideas you guys?

Cheers
Andy
Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:18
rikky 🦔

Post #6
yeah bumper off and washer bottle out, simples to get to then

i would spray the s**t out of it all with brake cleaner and wipe it all down and remove any corrosion or coolant etc and have a proper look. you might find the circlip has corroded or the bottom of the pipe has corroded and it can't seal right. might even be the rubber seal in there too. i bought a new one, got it at home still unused

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:22
rikky 🦔

Post #7
i can't rate brake cleaner enough. it's like £2 a can and it's literally magic in a can. buy some and clean it all up properly. you will need bumper and washer bottle out though for a proper nosey in there - again not hard, just 4 10mm bolts or so and the 2 from the washer bottle

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:26
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
I used a couple of tins of the £1.55 a tin brake cleaner from Peugeot to degrease my engine block. Did a much better job than any degreaser I've used.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:27
    luthor1

Junior User

Post #9
    The circlip is now off and in *lovely* condition! The pipe I've pulled back through the chassis and taken off the rubber gasket and cleaned, it's the re-assembly - the 3 locking humps on the pipe connector don't line up with the slots in the Radiator-side plastic connector; that's why it popped off in the first place dumping the coolant Sad

I was just wondering is the hose or the radiator are the most likely causes of the mis-alignment, if anyone has experienced this before, or whether actually it should stay in at any angle?

I'll have the bumper off tomorrow, it's lashing it down in Hampshire today!!
    Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:31
    rikky 🦔

Post #10
    maybe it's got the wrong hose on then or the radiator isn't the right one (and ties in with your comments above about things being rewired, possibly)

Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:41
    luthor1

Junior User

Post #11
    /googles for images of radiator! Smile
    Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 14:42
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #12
    There are two types of radiator.

It's possible you have the earlier rad and the later hose and that's why it doesn't fit. Unlikely though as it should be blatently obvious.

I always put a bit of grease on the sealing o-ring on the pipe before I push it home into the rad, makes it slide in much better and less chance of leaking. Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 20th Nov 2012 at 19:08
    luthor1

Junior User

Post #13
    So I got my bumper off, all the bolts sheered off, the 2 holding the washer bottle, the 2 x 10mm ones holding the bumper on, the 2 inner headlight TORX bolts (took headlights off as they were 'glued' to the bumper with black glue)

Complete nightmare Sad

My car is shocking, there looks like there should be some electrical gubbins in between the fans in a little cubby hole, there are just clipped wires, and lots of 'other' wiring in there, total disaster, I am very disillusioned Sad

I also find out that the key that does the ignition doesn't do the boot or either of the doors, or the glovebox very unhappy

I guess I can change the radiator for the correct one, replace the lights (the headlamp adjusters are rounded off and stuck), change the bumper, and inner arch liners is it all worth it though perhaps I should just break it??
    Posted 25th Nov 2012 at 09:30
    tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    Sounds like a shed mate. There should be three relays in that little cubby hole. As for broken bolts, there are several tips and tricks to get them out, suggest you invest in a can of "Plus Gas". Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
    Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
    Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
    Posted 26th Nov 2012 at 07:21
    swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    There should be relays in the the triangular box located in the middle of the rad :shock

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
    blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
    Black p3 Love
    Posted 26th Nov 2012 at 08:15
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #16
    It does indeed sound like it has been severely bodged in the past. Sad

You could probably buy all the parts you need for the car second hand from peeps on here, but it all depends whether you personally think it's worth it or not. Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Nov 2012 at 09:17
    luthor1

Junior User

Post #17
    I think getting the radiator/hose to line up correctly, which probably means a new radiator, would go a LONG way to getting me going, then I'll look at the wiring because it's not that great either

I'm not overly concerned about getting a new slam-panel, arch liners, bumper and grill if the water-works and electrics are sorted, because really other than this the car is pretty good! The engine is strong and not a 'tapper', I've got new driveshafts and wheel bearings up front so it's just 'nice' in that respect.

Anyone know of a decent 'proper' radiator which will fit me? It's a Phase 2 I think, R reg but with the later lights
    Posted 26th Nov 2012 at 13:30
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #18
    Buy a Nissens rad and you won't go wrong. Keeps the engine slightly cooler and also doesn't corrode like the standard Ordonez item. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Nov 2012 at 13:39