displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Danish 306 PH3 GTI track toy
niw

Junior User

Post #1
Peugeot 306 GTI PH3 2001 with aircondition (this was a requirement for me)

Payed a bit more for it than you can get another one for normally, but the good thing about this one was that it's not an import and it has complete authorized service history from Peugeot in Denmark.

The dealer told me I could come look at the car, but as I had to travel quite a long way and pay for bridges etc, I asked him to tell me everything there was to know about the car, so I wouldnt show up and be dissapointed.

He told me that the car had just had some damage to the right sidemirror and wing/door as someone obviously thought it would be fun to ruin this car when drunk.

I asked him if he had a report from the insurance and some pictures and he told me he would send them too me.

I also asked him if I could bring my mechanic friend and maybe get the car up on a lift to inspect it and that was no problem either Smile

I then went with 3 friends to look at the car (one of them already have a ph3 306 gti) and we inspected the car and drove it.

The "only" surprise about the car when we arrived was that the clutch needed changing and the clutch cable as well, but this was no problem for me, as I had planned to get the gearbox off anyway, because I wanted a lightened rich w flywheel.

The car all in all was in good condition.

We then drove it back and took a picture of it as it was delivered.

The first thing I wanted to do was sort out the clutch, flywheel and clutchcable so I ordered a flywheel with Rich W, but had some trouble getting my paypal payment through (this was my own fault not Rich's)

When the payment went through my flywheel arrived some days later and I had already ordered a new Sach's standard clutch here in Denmark with an original Peugeot clutch cable.

New vs Old flywheel

I went to the workshop with my friend, so he could take off the gearbox and we had some struggle with the pin that you need to take out, so we sawed it off and bought a new one, made it a bit easier.

We then fitted the new flywheel and clutch with no trouble at all and put back the gearbox back on.

We then started to fit the new clutch cable and couldnt get this fitted AT ALL and then realised after comparing with my old cable, that it was the wrong one (thanks Peugeot!!) even though we had given the VIN and licensplate number.

Peugeot was closed, so I had to call a friend late a night on a weekday to come pick me up (the workshop is approx 40 miles from my home)

My friend then went back to Peugeot and got the right cable (he took my old cable with him, so he would be sure this time) and we went back to fit it the next day and WHAT a difference it made!

We then inspected the service history and found that the cambelt and waterpump could use a changing, so I ordered some parts and we fixed that as well as some other small pulleys (just standard ones)

I was pretty happy with the car for now, but wanted to make it ready for a trip to the ring a little later on, so I began to search the web for parts and found a guy that actually lived almost right beside where I picked the car up in the first place Sad

I then spoke with my friend, who had looked at some parts for his turbo civic vti near by and we desided to make a roaptrip to pick up all the parts in one day.

I came back with this:

KW V2 Innoxline (used)
Brembo 4 piston calipers from 406 Coupé V6 with some totally worn out brake discs from a 307 2.0 and standard brake pads??
Powerflex lower engine mount
Spoox gearbox and engine mount
Powerflex wishbone front bushes

I then desided to order some powerflex p-bushes, so I could change those, while changing the front ones and also get a bit more caster (+0,5) Smile

Also I put up a order for 2 new adjustable koni rear dampers as I dident get these from the guy I bought the KW suspension off.

As the discs and brake pads were totally worn out, I ordered some discs from a Xantia/C5 V6 (288x28mm I think) and some yellowstuff brake pads.

We started with changing all the engine/gearbox mounts and removed some weight from the car like the sound deadning from the bonnet and from under the carpet in the trunk.

We also removed the spare tyre, tyre holder and all the tools (gave me about 25 kg less in the car in total)

I then realised I couldnt put on my new brakes, before I had bought some other rims to fit around the big calipers Sad

So I went back home and online to search 306gti6.com to find out what 15" inch rims that would fit, so I wouldnt have to spend so much money on Toyo R888 tyres Smile

I found out that everyone was very happy with the Team Dynamics 1.2 Pro Race, so I ordered them in Gloss Black from Demon Tweeks.

A couple of days later they arrived at home

and I went to the importer of Toyo tyres in Denmark to pick up some R888's in 195/50-15 Medium compound. (they cost about 150 pound less than 195/50-16 for 4)

When I got around to fitting the tyres this is how they sat on my car (without it being lowered)

I then went to check out if it performed like it should on a rolling road and this was the outcome.

I was quite surprised by this, but when I thought about it, when picking up the car, I got a K&N air induction kit with me in the trunk, so maybe the car even has maxi cams?

Then it was time to mount the new suspension parts and brakes.

We tried looking to take the rear beam apart to lower that as well, but we could get the torsionbars out and broke a slide hammer Sad

I like really low cars, so I started with 60mm lower than with standard spring and dampers, which later turned out to be too much for the track.

We then went to the ring, to try out the car and it went like a rocket! though it would need an oilcooler for next time, as I could only do 1 lap and then I had to cool the car down Sad

I also found out it could use some new gear linkages as you can see right before Adenauer Forst where I miss the gear totally Sad

Pics and video:

http://youtu.be/BbAKUqVFe4k?hd=1

These arrived shortly after the trip to the ring

I then desided I wanted some sit-still seats as well and found some second hand Sparco Evo 2 Plus + 1 Sparco harness (still looking for another cheap one)

The car is now on winter tyres with some Tecnomagnesio gold rims and have had some stickers added to it for a more racy look.

Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 12:37
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #2
nice effort Thumbs up

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 12:41
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Nice,
How do you find the 406 v6 brembo's?
Noisy?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 12:54
niw

Junior User

Post #4
Yeah when the pads were brand new they were SO noisy, but after a trip to the ring, it has all gone Smile so next time I get new pads/discs, I go straight to the ring haha
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 12:58
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Very nice car! The pics from the ring also look like you were enjoying it Thumbs up
Have yo had any problems with the quickshift slipping? Has it shortened the gearchanges much?
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 17:56
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #6
Nice architecture. Cool

A road trip around Scandinavia has been on my 'to do' list for some time now...

Oh yeah, the 306 looks great too. Thumbs up
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 18:01
niw

Junior User

Post #7
marco: havent really gotten around to mounting it yet im affraid Sad

but I have read alot about people having trouble with it, so I was actually thinking about just changing the linkages to start with.

The ring is a lot of fun in a 306 Smile
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 19:49
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I'd worry about those linkage's, bit of threaded bar does not have much strength, I bet you can bend them quite easily, Well the long one

Worth getting some belled Disc's for her too, at least you can run 305mm and be around half the weight, the std disc's weigh a ton

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 20:08
niw

Junior User

Post #9
Miles: I don't understand, whats wrong with the pug1off linkages i've bought?
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 20:21
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
He's questioning whether they will be stiff enough to provide a solid gear change without bending under the force.

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 20:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
indeed, threaded bar is not very strong at all.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 20:43
niw

Junior User

Post #12
Ok, i dont know.. Where Can i get linkages that are not threaded?
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 20:45
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Miles does a set.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 22:06
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
No idea on who's they where (looked DIY), You can make those for around £6.00 a set, the old Griff's engineering used the same method with 205 linklages but used heatshrink over the top to try and hide the fact

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 15th Nov 2012 at 23:57
niw

Junior User

Post #15
Stripped out the back seats and a couple of other things, what a difference already Smile

Next month im gonna mount my new seats, just waiting for subframes from DT.

Posted 29th Nov 2012 at 11:20
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
miles wrote:
I'd worry about those linkage's, bit of threaded bar does not have much strength, I bet you can bend them quite easily, Well the long one

Worth getting some belled Disc's for her too, at least you can run 305mm and be around half the weight, the std disc's weigh a ton

What kind of place sells them belled discs? Or are the bells completely custom made for spec, and then you choose the rotors?

Great car btw! Smile

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 5th Jan 2013 at 18:56
niw

Junior User

Post #17
This arrived a couple of days ago in the mail from matt lewis racing

Then off to the workshop, to get my mechanic to do his magic

First the termostat sandwich plate went on (no problem)

Him then looking for a way to mount the oilcooler, without attaching it to the front bump, like we saw another member on here did:

He made some nice mounts (couldnt use the ones in the kit from Matt Lewis for anything):

Bumper on and voila:

Posted 6th Jan 2013 at 11:37
Takedown

Senior User

Post #18
Job done nicely!!!!

works so much better then the stupid heatexchanger......
Posted 7th Jan 2013 at 16:47
niw

Junior User

Post #19
A little bit of an update:

Got my new steeringwheel in, I went to pick up a "used" rear beam, that I can use to refurbish with new hybrid ARB and xsara vts torsionbars and then the guy has a OMP steering wheel with OMP spacer, that he aint gonna use anymore and told me I could get it for a few extra quid.

Also got my seats in FINALLY after a lot of hassle with my old seats and the sparco so called "tailored" subframes!!!

First I tried to mount my Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats, with sidemount and sliders, which is almost impossible, because the seat is wider in the front than in the back and therefore you have to do some custom s**t with the sliders, that I couldnt be bothered with.

I was thinking about just mounting the seats without sliders, but that seemed to be just as hard, as the subframes are "tailored" for BOTTOM mounted seats and NOT sidemounted, so that was gonna be s**t too.

I then took a quick decision and put my Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats up for sale and went and bought some brand new Sparco Pro 2000 II seats with bottom mounts instead and then it was an easy fix, though the sidemounted plate from the tailored subframe from sparco needed new drilled holes as they dident fit the original ones apparently?!

Posted 9th Feb 2013 at 13:38
Takedown

Senior User

Post #20
Looks great!!!
Posted 9th Feb 2013 at 15:20