displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Coolant sensor clarification
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #1
I have searched around but cant find the answer i'm looking for so hoping someone else has noticed/come across this...

I've been testing my 3 (brown,blue,green) sensors and i'm not getting any reading from the blue sensor, the gauge was wildly fluctuating anyway so i expected it to be playing up, dont understanding why the gauge kind of worked when i dont get a reading at all but hey ho new sensor required.

My actual question is when testing the green and and brown sensors in a pan of hot water the green, as expected decreased in ohms from 000's to 00's as the water heated, sensor works imo. However the brown sensors seems to increase??? where i expected it to decrease the same as the green sensor, i had a new brown sensor to hand and this performs the same.....

can anyone shed any light on this?

This site is my mechanical bible, Thank-you everyone!!
Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 15:39
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The brown one is for the fans.
The green one is for the ecu
the blue is for the gauge

As you say, its probably right as you say, perhaps its just the way the bitron unit reads the signal is the other way around to the ecu? Ie, the more ohms the hotter the coolant?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 15:49
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #3
Thats what i was thinking.... just seems odd to me that sensors performing a similar operation, operate the opposite way round.

Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 15:55
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
testing them is all well and good and what youve done clearly shows that it isnt just short or open circuit but how do you know what reading relates to what temp? I have never seen a list of readings so really you dont know if its working properly. For the sake of 8 quid, i would just bung a new one in there!
Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 17:08
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #5
Heres a thread that shows what reading Ohms should be for a given coolant temp...

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80340&page=1

but i assume that's just for the green sensor, maybe the blue i cant tell mines duff but the brown seems to read the opposite way around, this is probably how it's supposed to be but hasent been covered on here yet.... if an answer comes out of this it could be useful to the intrigued

Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 17:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
blue sensor works totally different to the other pair, it has a switch and sender in one.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 17:42
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #7
Ooo nice i was reading about 1 and 2 pin versions earlier... so on the 2 pin gti 1 pin is the gauge and one is the stop light, do you know any way of testing the sensor welshpug?

Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 17:55
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
only by testing from pin to earth, I don't know any parameters though, other than Circa 110 degrees for the warning light switch.

if its an intermittent issue I would be looking at the loom or the main loom plug tbh.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 18:00
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #9
Cheers for the advice ^^^ a few more things to investigate whilst putting the car back together tomorrow.

Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 18:05
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
hismastersfinger11 wrote:
Heres a thread that shows what reading Ohms should be for a given coolant temp...

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80340&page=1

but i assume that's just for the green sensor, maybe the blue i cant tell mines duff but the brown seems to read the opposite way around, this is probably how it's supposed to be but hasent been covered on here yet.... if an answer comes out of this it could be useful to the intrigued

Well thats shut me up! haha

Very useful. cheers
Posted 14th Nov 2012 at 22:47