displaying posts 151 to 175 of 287

Pages (12): first .. 6 [7] 8 .. last

Author Subject: the ZX 16v thread
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #151
got hold of some Clio 182 Weber Pico IWP 042 injectors, flow 250cc/min @ 3bar, decent spray pattern I hear, and most importantly shorter than the IW204 gti6 units.

20140905_171609 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

which means this fits

20140905_171915 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

20140905_171931 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

though with the trumpets I have the filter doesn't fit, so I still need a stepped backplate, or if possible some Satchell trumpets with the backplate bolted to the back of the radius of the trumpets.

20140905_173035 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

then I took the inlet and loom off, made up an extra bit of loom for the other injectors, seeing as the ecu and the bodies have capacity for twin injector's why not? Big grin

20140907_150538 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Stuck the standard loom ecu and inlet back on for now, as I want to get it MOT'd, looks a bit like this.

20140907_170047 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

and to bring us right up to date, got my set of part worn Michelin PE2's and C5 wheels fitted up with new valves and balanced.

20140910_113539 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Sep 2014 at 14:07
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #152
Good stuff. Smile

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 11th Sep 2014 at 17:03
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #153
progress since the last post has been that I fitted a standard 24mm rear arb, and stuck on the drivers side front arch trim, also got hold of an 075 battery off a mate scrapping a mk4 golf in exchange for one of my dead batteries.

and the V5 finally turned up, so I booked it for an MOT, which was 11.30 this morning.

BOOM!

20141001_131837 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Big grin

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Oct 2014 at 18:29
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #154
600 miles down in two weeks, no issues at all other than central locking playing up.

got hold of some kw springs from a 306 coilover kit courtesy of AdamB, to replace the 30nm 250mm lomg ast springs, awkward sods are metric.

kw's are 170mm and I believe 50nm, so gone from 180 to 285 ish lbs, wound the spring pans up so there was no flapping about, hopefully they dont go coilbound before the bumpstop as its low enough already, might need to try a 200mm spring.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Oct 2014 at 20:07
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #155
Quick question....

Why have the injectors underslung rather than on top?? Bonnet clearance ??

TT
Posted 17th Oct 2014 at 17:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #156
partly yes, also aids mixing I believe.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 18th Oct 2014 at 00:41
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #157
AdamB corrected me on the spring rate, its 315 lb/in, not got round to winding up the damping yet, can't remember where the adjuster knobs are!

drove it to west Wales to give Dan a hand with his 205, few issues with the clutch cable coming out of the clip on the pedal but managed to drive it without a pedal to the end of the journey fine, gave the clip a squeeze and re-fitted the cable and its been fine all day.

went to a RR meet at Saxon Motorsport in Hereford today Dan was taking his 8v, Matt taking a V6 205 and his brother bringing matt's Ibiza Cupra TDI 130.

got myself some curves which I'm happy with.

img015 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

img014 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th Oct 2014 at 21:03
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #158
no updates of late, didn't use it at all in January but I bought a massive air filter from Tom so I don't need to get an expensive backplate, I've got shorter Pico injectors in the bodies now so clearance there isn't a problem.

I've got a few lengths of -6 Teflon Braided hose, probably enough to do the engine bay but I haven't got any fittings, I need about £80 or so of them and get two adapters welded to the fuel rail.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Feb 2015 at 20:50
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #159
Friday after work I decided to faff about with the throttle bodies instead of watching youtube videos and drinking beer all night.

inlet off.

gti6 wiring loom off.

got a bit dark by then even with the awesome £9 LED floodlamp from Screwfix, and it started raining.

Saturday morning I got the loom laid out, inlet and filter fitted, decided to just run the standard fuel rail till I get the AN fittings.

Got the Tablet hooked up after feeding the wideband wires through a handy grommet behind the glovebox and the sensor fitted into the downpipe.

Today I made a bracket for the coil, need to find some bolts and get some Vauxhall plug leads.

Then went for a quick spin up the road.

https://flic.kr/p/rcr5Pf

OHMYGODTHENOISE!!!! Big grin :wub:

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 17:17
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #160
She sounds like thunder welshpug Thumbs up

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 18:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #161
Brief update from last weeks faffing, bought a jiffy bag full of bits from Alex at Torques (on here as Powers) thanks very much to them for the quick postage and decent prices, I'd already been donated and picked up a few lengths of AN -6 teflon hose already.

quickly boshed the ends on as practice.

Then on Friday after work set about taking the rubber stuff on ready to fit the shiny stuff, chopped the flare off the original steel return pipe and found it was not 8mm as I was expecting, but 8.4mm, checked the feed and that was 10.2mm FRENCH bas**rdS!!!

Annoyed and starting to get rained on I gave up at that point.

Saturday morning, went on a mission to find some 8mm o.d tubing, ended up at Screwfix in Newport buying their only 25metre roll, B&Q's website showed stock but had none on the shelf, not a bad thing as it was about a third more expensive, though came in a shorter reel, so I have lots spare!

see, fits!

I've used one of those compression fittings before on a 205's steel tubing and it fitted fine, so it made sense to use them again here.

and here's the nearly finished setup, the two short lengths of rubber will be replaced by welded or brazed fittings as soon as I find someone to do that for me.

And for some as yet unknown reason, it wont bloody start! Fuel pump is irregularly priming all the time, which it should only do once when the ignition is turned on, however I can connect to the ecu just fine, so I think I have a noise or damaged wiring issue in my home made loom

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 21:56
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #162
Nice work, loving the sound!

Goldie the track car.
Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 13:16
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #163
Mei, I got HERMAN from 205drivers to braze some fittings on for me. That was a while ago mind, I haven't been on drivers for a while

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 17:58
jorg

Senior User

Post #164
clen666 wrote:
Mei, I got HERMAN from 205drivers to braze some fittings on for me. That was a while ago mind, I haven't been on drivers for a while

i did the same, he did a top job Thumbs up

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 18:12
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #165
end of feb update -

made up another loom, I had already made one up with an ecu plug, just needed the relays adding, a few more terminals and some wire lengths adjusting, and the plugs for the second set of injectors.

gave it another try but found a flat battery, and really black plugs so packed up for the night, fresh charge on the battery and new plugs, and still nothing, ecu talking fine to laptop and no noise on the crank sensor, however did have pops and flames!

popped a short vid up on Facebook and a friend suggested incorrect firing order, so swapped the pairs on the coil and bingo, splutters farts then barks into life Big grin

need to tidy the loom up then head for mapping I think!

2nd march -

mapping booked, need to find my passport, heading across two borders, over the severn to england and down to Cornwall LOL

will be borrowing a trailer from my friend Anton, not the same one that I cooked a brake shoe on though, as that has a flat, but another slightly bigger tiltbed brian james.

This weeks update, 7 day week at work, plus spending time with a friend and some yukky evenings, means I only got the timing belt kit water pump and an ally crank pulley changed.

Genuine kit and pump and a RichW crank pulley.

dropping the engine down off the arm and supporting it on a jack under the sump makes getting at some of the bolts easier.

got a small oil leak somewhere on the back of the engine, probably rear cam cover or cam ladder as the area behind the covers is dry.

using a square drive sump plug key to tension the belt and a 13mm combination spanner to nip the bolt up, home made timing pins, old valve stems and a bolt with the threaded portion cut off Big grin

new standard plugs, plus set of cooler 7's just in case they were needed, only single electrode, though there are two types of 7's with twins listed my local place didnt have them on the shelf, not sure if it'll make that much difference or that I'll need them at all yet.

£9.50 LED floodlamps are great.

Day off tomorrow, going to change the oil and see if I can check the cam timing as theyre just on the standard pinned position at the moment.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 17:55
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #166
welshpug! wrote:
AdamB corrected me on the spring rate, its 315 lb/in, not got round to winding up the damping yet, can't remember where the adjuster knobs are!

drove it to west Wales to give Dan a hand with his 205, few issues with the clutch cable coming out of the clip on the pedal but managed to drive it without a pedal to the end of the journey fine, gave the clip a squeeze and re-fitted the cable and its been fine all day.

went to a RR meet at Saxon Motorsport in Hereford today Dan was taking his 8v, Matt taking a V6 205 and his brother bringing matt's Ibiza Cupra TDI 130.

got myself some curves which I'm happy with.

img015 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

img014 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Mei very interesting !!!!!
Mei with your cams / pocketed pistons & throttle Bodies apart from a throttle response & amazing sound what sort of extra power have you gained or once sorted hope to gain ?
Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 18:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #167
I have no idea what the car was running before the cams but it certainly wasn't a slow engine, taking those Saxon figures with a pinch of salt given some "standard" engines made mid 180's LOL: also not sure how much would have been missing from the faulty VSS and unmapped ECU.

As for what it'll be on bodies, no idea really, Matt Holley made just over 200 with carbs, and I think 220 when he went 2.1 and bodies with the same cams.

The rollers Sandy uses are regularly calibrated though hasn't any computer attached to it, just a dial and a digi readout, but they've had plenty of different motors on them in all manner of states of tune, stock to full race and have a good idea of what things "should" be running at.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 19:04
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #168
welshpug! wrote:
I have no idea what the car was running before the cams but it certainly wasn't a slow engine, taking those Saxon figures with a pinch of salt given some "standard" engines made mid 180's LOL: also not sure how much would have been missing from the faulty VSS and unmapped ECU.

As for what it'll be on bodies, no idea really, Matt Holley made just over 200 with carbs, and I think 220 when he went 2.1 and bodies with the same cams.

The rollers Sandy uses are regularly calibrated though hasn't any computer attached to it, just a dial and a digi readout, but they've had plenty of different motors on them in all manner of states of tune, stock to full race and have a good idea of what things "should" be running at.

All the rolling roads I've ever used haven't had Computers linked ....They either know there stuff or they don't Thumbs up

Are you going or getting it ready for FCS or Prescott even ?
Can't wait to hear & see it go !!!!!

Cams /TBs / ECU are my next step ....keep me in mind if you ever sell up Thumbs up
Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 21:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #169
I'm not getting it ready for any event specifically, just gets done as and when I have the money, I bought the ECU 4 years ago LOL

I would like to do a trip to the Austian mountains like I did two years ago with my mate George in his V6 205 (Goliath)

Bloody awesome scenery, fun roads, and a high chance of being the only car on bodies unless DCC comes along too, as the German and Austrian regulations don't allow them, also LOTS OF TUNNELS!!! Hyper

bought a GoPro a few weeks ago too LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 22:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #170
here's a link to the pics from a few days of that trip back in 2013.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/welshpug/sets/72157635469777012/

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 22:36
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #171
it has a bark, a hell of a bark for a standard engine with bodies and mild cams!!!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Mar 2015 at 00:52
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #172
welshpug! wrote:
it has a bark, a hell of a bark for a standard engine with bodies and mild cams!!!

Tease LOL
Posted 11th Mar 2015 at 07:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #173
Right then!

Yesterday was quite an epic for me, first time I've done this kind of stuff on my own car and none of my friends were about to come along for the experience and help out if needed, even though a few would have loved to come along!

Started off on Monday afternoon, first day off work in 7 days, changed the engine oil, fitted a heatshield to the fuel tank and adjusted the exhaust clamps, then headed off to pick up the trailer from Antons near Monmouth.

Strapped the ZX down and headed for bed early, 5.30 alarm clock, make coffee and leave at 6.

Sunrise over the Severn Bridge.

Made really good time and was barely slowed down by any traffic at all, managed to hold a good 60 mph all the way, saw this sign through a bit of mist before 9.

Pulled into the industrial estate in Launceston in lovely sunshine just after 9.

Was booked in for 10.30 so I tried to get hold of Tigger Dave as Satchell engineering weren't too far away, I had been there before but some 5 years ago so wanted a postcode to punch into google maps just to make sure of the route, had a kip in the car whilst waiting for the info and for Sandy to arrive, he was unfortunately delayed in traffic, I didn't mind much as I slept for 45 minutes!

As I already had my Wideband Lambda fitted and connected to the ECU that was a fair chunk of Sandy's time saved, so it was cam timing check and adjustment firstly, bit of faffing with dropped allen keys into the abyss that is the subframe hiding under an XU10J4RS! timing set to 1.4mm inlet and 1.3mm exhaust (valve lift at TDC) this engine ha had the piston valve reliefs machined an extra 1mm deeper by Bridgecraft engineering so 1.4mm is quite safe as I know only 9 thou has been skimmed off the head and its on a standard 1.2mm MLS o.e gasket.

Check the throttle stops and sensor settings then get it fired up and a quick trim of the fuel and ignition settings, then onto balancing the bodies,took a little while and we ended up swapping to the 7 rated plugs as it looked like the new 6's I had were quite sooted up already from a small imbalance and a loose fitting plug lead, also transpired upon starting a few low range load sites that one of my outer injectors was duff, causing a misfire so we decided to crack on the full mapping only on the inner set, the Weber IW204's even at the standard 3 bar have plenty of flow and a very decent spray pattern.

Working through the load sites getting further and further up the revs and throttle openings it became quite apparent that this engine has quite a clear loud bark, was also struggling for grip in 3rd gear!

I did capture quite a few of these short blips through various load sites with my new go-pro, here's one of them at around the 4.5k mark.

https://youtu.be/iTSfn-9Ai2g

Big thanks to Neil, the few times I've been down there to see Sandy work his magic he's provided quite a few cups of tea Big grin (Neil works with Mark Shillaber, as far as I know he assembles most of Marks Stock car and rally Pinto engines, I think mark does most of the machining and porting work and cam choosing (Sandy can clarify that I guess, I forgot to ask!)

Got to the point where noise and grip was an issue so I think Sandy was doing most of the fine tuning on acceleration runs rather than holding certain loads, this still didn't take too long and by around 4.30 we got to capture a run through a few gears, no specific power figure due to the issues but suffice to say it revs quite nicely and is very easy to drive, also with the wideband lambda being wired up to the ecu I can run a closed loop[ which is very useful as it will keep the cat alive for MOT purposes.

https://youtu.be/VJ_X4A8Ez3o

At this point I got hold of Tigger Dave to see how long they'd be about over at Colins some 11 miles of Cornish A & B road away, so I suggested to Sandy we could head in that direction for the final fine tune and check of how its running on the road.

Got to Colins workshop and had a snoop about looking at the cool goings on, Dave showed me Colins car and where its being improved and refreshed after 2.5 years of being used pretty hard, had a look at a few other projects an ideas they're working on, really interesting stuff, and picked up one of the first 306/xsara/zx Satchshifts Big grin

Unfortuantely half a mile after leaving heading back for Launceston we lost fuel, managed to figure out all fuses were ok, ecu switching the relay fine and power even getting to the pump using a 3rd high level brake lamp that I had in the boot LOL: Law of sod, but I guess the pump is 23 years old and I am asking more of it than it has ever needed to, though when working properly they are more than enough.

Lucky Sandy was with me, as I had no reception whatsoever outside of Launceston! Colin kindly towed the ZX back to the safety of the lane by his Farm then dropped Sandy and myself back to Launceston, as Sandy was due home by this time and I could take my BMW and trailer up to Week St Mary to get the ZX and head home, bit of a push and a hand reversing the BMW and trailer from Colin and I hit the road heading back to England and Wales, hitting the main road outside Launceston at 8pm.

A few diversions from road closures and a fuel and food up stop art Taunton Dene services I made it back to Wales, crossing the bridge at 11pm.

Home at 11.30, upload a few videos and a few posts to those asking how it went on Facebook then bed aiming to get up early to pull the ZX off the trailer and take the trailer back to Anton, running a bit late for work I thought I might as well see if the spare pump I had would fix it.

Looks like this;

Which sits in a bowl in the tank, so had a fair resistance to surge, it hides under here.

Its a Bosch pump unit that sits on its side with an elbow on the end and a filter which sits under it (IIRC, one of the two I have is a Walbro as well)

This one showed more signs of life than the old one but seemingly not enough, as it still didn't want to fire up, so I have a replacement ordered from Torques.co.uk fingers crossed that's it!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Mar 2015 at 22:54
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #174
Great review & Those TBs sound amazing !!!!
Sadly bit of bad luck !!!!

Keep us updated Please Mei Thumbs up
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 00:05
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #175
Great right up enjoyed reading that

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 10:49

Pages (12): first .. 6 [7] 8 .. last