displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Wheel bearing failure !
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #1
Anyone had a 306 gti wheel bearing fail.... Christ I just replaced my long drive shaft thinking it was that as it's that loud Shock
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 09:55
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
No, but I had an intermediate bearing on the long drive shaft fail on my 205 and it wasn't as loud as you'd think, just a very annoying razzing sound. Looked like this when it came off...

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 11:13
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
24seven wrote:
No, but I had an intermediate bearing on the long drive shaft fail on my 205 and it wasn't as loud as you'd think, just a very annoying razzing sound. Looked like this when it came off...

I had the exact same with my 6.

Wheel felt like it was about to come off

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 11:18
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #4
Fookin ell well I replaced lower engine mount lat beginning of the month n its only just started playing up after I returned from my 300 round trip to Aberystwyth I jacked car up thinking it wS drive shaft there was I bit of play in the joint next to intermediate bearing so I thought it was that so brought a new shaft but still the same noise Unsure so i done the wheel bearing test n when I steer right I can hear the squeeking crunching noise so I'm gonna replace them both to be safe...
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 12:15
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #5
confirmed wheel bearing absolutely fooooooooocked out of its tiny mind all replaced now
jobs a gooden Thumbs up Thumbs up
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 19:55
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Mine was the same, no warning, just one morning on the way to work it went big time. Managed to crawl home, it had eaten itself.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 20:35
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #7
scotzman wrote:
Mine was the same, no warning, just one morning on the way to work it went big time. Managed to crawl home, it had eaten itself.
that's how this was as I say that bad I thought the shaft had gone lol
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 21:08
Moonstone6

Regular

Post #8
scotzman wrote:
that's how this was as I say that bad I thought the shaft had gone lol
Posted 31st Oct 2012 at 21:09
docwra

Regular

Post #9
I took the car for alignment the other day, got told one of the (brand new) front wheel bearings had collapsed and got the old "I shouldnt let you drive home on this mate" speech - wasnt making any noise, wqas just a bit wobbly at the front end, almost like a dodgy driveshaft.

Lots of Nissans, two 306 GTI-6's. They are catching up! Big grin
Posted 1st Nov 2012 at 11:40
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
docwra wrote:
I took the car for alignment the other day, got told one of the (brand new) front wheel bearings had collapsed and got the old "I shouldnt let you drive home on this mate" speech - wasnt making any noise, wqas just a bit wobbly at the front end, almost like a dodgy driveshaft.

Driveshaft won't give a wobbly feelingNo

If your wheel bearing is bad enough to make the car wobbly you really are risking it driving!Shock

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 5th Nov 2012 at 09:52