displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Issues with indicator
ash j

Regular

Post #1
Spent this weekend changing the gearbox on my 6 with the help of a good friend, as my last one was knackered.

Anyway, after putting everything back together, I have noticed problems with the indicator and horn.

When headlights are completely off, both indicators work if I push stalk up or down.

When sidelights are on (first click), again both indicators work if I push stalk up or down.

When headlights are on full (second click), the left indicator is constantly on (not flashing) on the front and back, but not full brightness.

The right indicator works if I push the stalk up, but the left indicator does not work at all when the stalk is pushed down.

Any ideas?? Obviously need my indicators working, during the day it is fine as I don't always need lights on, but if I want my headlights on at night, then I can't use the left indicator.

Also noticed my horn button doesn't work either when I went to use it after a van cut me up.

Cheers
Ash
Posted 22nd Oct 2012 at 17:18
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
sounds like a earth problem. Check the earth points in the engine bay just below the abs pump. Give them a good clean up. Also check the one in the boot behind the passengers c pillar trim. If this doesnt fix it, time to get the multimeter out to start doing continuity checks on the wiring.
Posted 22nd Oct 2012 at 17:21
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Niall wrote:
sounds like a earth problem. Check the earth points in the engine bay just below the abs pump. Give them a good clean up. Also check the one in the boot behind the passengers c pillar trim. If this doesnt fix it, time to get the multimeter out to start doing continuity checks on the wiring.

Could the Gearbox Earth cause such a problem? I remember bolting it back in but i failed to clean up the mount before i put it back on Ash's 6'

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 22nd Oct 2012 at 20:46
ash j

Regular

Post #4
Where abouts is the earth point below ABS pump? Can't see one, and can't lift the pump up much due to the solid lines running round the bay.

I will check that gearbox mount Rich and give it a clean, never know it might work.

Have spoken to my mechanic mate over the road, and he seems to think it is a dodgy stalk. Could this be the case?

I started unplugging certain plugs for the lights on the left hand side, can't remember exactly what I did, but I remember the side light flashing if I had the left hand indicator on, aswell as the indicator itself flashing.

All sorts of strange things are going on! Also, the main beam for the left hand headlight is not working, either the bulb is blown, or something is making me think it just isn't working correctly due to the rest of my problems.

Need to get my arse out of gear and get it sorted as it is an absolute nightmare driving home from work in the dark!
Posted 23rd Oct 2012 at 20:16
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
ash j wrote:
Where abouts is the earth point below ABS pump? Can't see one, and can't lift the pump up much due to the solid lines running round the bay.

I will check that gearbox mount Rich and give it a clean, never know it might work.

Have spoken to my mechanic mate over the road, and he seems to think it is a dodgy stalk. Could this be the case?

I started unplugging certain plugs for the lights on the left hand side, can't remember exactly what I did, but I remember the side light flashing if I had the left hand indicator on, aswell as the indicator itself flashing.

All sorts of strange things are going on! Also, the main beam for the left hand headlight is not working, either the bulb is blown, or something is making me think it just isn't working correctly due to the rest of my problems.

Need to get my arse out of gear and get it sorted as it is an absolute nightmare driving home from work in the dark!

Right, it's not directly under the Abs unit for starters Smile it's on the chassis leg running alongside the battery tray where the earths are located.
But see this is the thing, it worked fine before we took it apart and it hasn't moved.
The gearbox earth (the one with the green wire bolted onto it) is the only thing i didn't make sure had decent enough contact. Sand it down to bare metal, do the same with the eyelet on the wire and bolt it back down.

Once that has been achieved then see if it all works. That's when you start moving round to check other things... i.e:
Other Earth locations
Indicator stalk.

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 24th Oct 2012 at 07:24