Post #51
da g man! wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:
stilly wrote:
and they cant be beaten in the twisties.....LOL

^^ This LOL

we'll see about that.......in France! Whistle Razz

playboyb wrote:
Low boost for me, been in a mk4 r32, quick off the mark and comfortable, but anyone can buy one. I prefer the drive ability of the low boost and that's what I'd get in your position Smile

To be fair Sam, I do get what you mean, but if you look around this forum, there's probably more Sc 6's now, then there are standard 6's! People seem to have them for a bit, realise they're not actually that quick & then move them on Whistle
Jokes aside......I think you can pick up a Sc6 for peanuts now & there are lots around, which anybody could buy and yes, while it's reasonably quick, it'll never put the power down like a 4 wheel drive car can. But the main point I'm making, is that anybody with the money in hand, can buy any car, no matter what it is and like it or not, the charged 6's arn't exclusive anymore No

Anyway, back to the OP's question, I have recently bought myself an MK4 R32 & while I haven't owned a Lbst 6, I have had experience of being in one quite a bit, on road & track with Lee (Lee_gti6) and obviously I have come from 6 ownership myself, which was substantially modified in terms of brakes & suspension, as my plan was to track it.
I have to say & this is the important thing.......a Lbst 6 is quicker IMO then an R32 in standard form, in a straight line! However, £500 on a Milltek non Res Exhaust and £400 on a decent remap will see you into 270BHP & a nice chunk of Torque on the Golf and then it would beat a Sc6 by a good couple of car lengths and once you get over 120MPH, it would be bye, bye Sc6.
The biggest difference I have found with the R, is the Torque, it's almost like driving a diesel, but with petrol advantages and that's the problem with Sc6, you have to wind them up, to get them to go, where as the R, puts you back in your seat from about 2K onwards, right the way through its rev range.
It is of course a matter of opinion, but personally, I prefer the low down pull of the R, it's more usable and you don't have to thrash the ass out of it, to progress. But in play mode, I guess revving the 6 past 7K pulling hard is also a buzz in itself, so really is dependent on the person Wink
I've not gone bonkers with the R yet, but I have pushed on a bit through country lanes and open roads and I have to say, IMO it wipes the floor with a 6 in the handling stakes Shock Yes.......I did just say that and will no doubt get flamed down for it and sent to hell LOL Razz
But coming from a very well set up 6, the R feels in a different league and at times, looking down at the speedo, can scare the jebbies out of you, by how much pace and stability it actually has in the twisties and the magical Torque comes into play, coming out of slower corners and traction out of bends is also immense.
I'm knocking on the door of 30 and to be honest, the R is a welcomed upgrade from my 6.
An all rounder, with power, handling and comfort and my god.....does it sound good Cool

To sum it up, if you want bang for buck & smiles, then the Lbst 6 is the way to go, plenty of power & a real sleeper that can tussle down bigger cars. It has fantastic handling and cheapish to run, but at the end of the day, it will always just be a 12 year old 306, essentially a throw away toy, that is just built for having fun in.
The R is in a different league and as Aaron has already said, in some ways almost seems too different to compare. But the MK4 is where it is at for me, comfort, power, handling, classy and a sound track that will wet any girls knickers Cool
Call me boring, but I just got to the stage where I wanted one car that could do it all, jump in and drive in luxury with the heated full leathered bucket seats, but something that could be just as fun when the devil popped it's head out and this does it for me. Not found any understeer yet or numb feed back, just a nice balance and plenty of grip Big grin

Probably the best person to ask on here for a true opinion would be "mcfc1987" (Dan), as he has owned a Lbst 6 and currently has a MK5 R32, which he has owned side by side, so must of done a back to back test at some point Wink

Of course, as always, all of the above is just my opinion, that doesn't make it right Wink

But........R32 1 - SC6 0 Whistle LOL

I thought you were on a golf forum now gaz?

306 1.8 xs moonstone blue-SOLD
306 gti6 supercharged china blue-SOLD
406 coupe D9 3.0 V6-SOLD

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:27
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
Even a 270bhp r32 would lose badly to a low boost 6 I'm afraid Yes

That'd still only make it 179bhp/tonne.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:29
da g man!

Regular

Post #53
playboyb wrote:
I thought you were on a golf forum now gaz?

LOL

I am, but I have to pop back here, to whip the guys back in shape Razz
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:31
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
Matt i understand what your saying about the bhp/tonne but its how the car puts the power down and the gearing i do think it would be close but i dont think anyone can confidently say a 270bhp r32 would be slower than a 250bhp lbsc6

So whos off to sign up to a golf forum and find someone with a 270bhp r32 willing to go to the pod against a lb6 Smile

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #55
why go to the pod? pugs are not made for the pod.

WRONG WHEEL DRIVE! (for that boring straight line s**t anyway)

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:49
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #56
welshpug! wrote:
24seven wrote:
Anyone who buys a car based on it holding its value is not a petrolhead or a real motor enthusiast. You're just another consumer.

this.

I think the pair of you should f**k off I've been low boost and it's good but I'd rather have something built from the factory than s homebrew.

Enjoy your s**tboxes
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:51
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
mattgti6phase2 wrote:

Plus transmission loss

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:51
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
However having said that I agree with the above it will be nicer to drive won't rattle and will be worth more.
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 17:54
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
swiftyboi006 wrote:
Matt i understand what your saying about the bhp/tonne but its how the car puts the power down and the gearing i do think it would be close but i dont think anyone can confidently say a 270bhp r32 would be slower than a 250bhp lbsc6

So whos off to sign up to a golf forum and find someone with a 270bhp r32 willing to go to the pod against a lb6 Smile

Agreed off the line a 4 wheel drive car would be epic against a wrong wheel drive car. So not much contest there. However rolling 30-40mph the r32 would not stand a chance even with 270bhp.

And yes I've driven an r32 very good handling and launch from 1st gear but once in to 2nd they are terrible. Give me a much more tuneable 1.8t any day that would also spank the pointless r32.

Also I'm a firm believer in bhp/tonne wars and time and time again the theory is proven right. The golf would still be over 30bhp/tonne down on the lb 6.

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 18:07
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
anth wrote:
mattgti6phase2 wrote:

Plus transmission loss

^^^^^ forgot about that which is quite a bit on one of those.

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 18:08
rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #61
Just Been out this afternoon and test drove a mk4 r32 it is an awesome bit of kit Thumbs up

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 18:09
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #62
Meh

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 18:10
da g man!

Regular

Post #63
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
anth wrote:
mattgti6phase2 wrote:

Plus transmission loss

^^^^^ forgot about that which is quite a bit on one of those.

a couple of points to add, the R is not permanent 4 wheel drive, it is two wheel drive with Haldex control, that engages the rear wheels only when it detects slip from the front wheels, so it does not suffer from the same losses as say an Evo or Scoob.
So in a rolling start situation, the Golf has no more transmission losses then a 6, which puts them quite even Smile

Another point to make, is that the R out of the box is not that quick & will certainly be owned by a Lb6 in a straight line, so as previously stated a couple of little tweeks will see the R on top IMO.
But if you put the same kind of money into the R as you would a 6 to supercharge it, if you didn't buy one already supercharged, then you would have a far better machine Wink

Superchargers for the MK4 can be as little as £4k drive in drive out conversions & see you with 350 - 400BHP + about the same in Torque Cool & a DIY can be done for cheaper.
The R is not just about all out power, it does so much more and that V6 delivers nice usable Torque that a Lb6 will never match, in the way that it delivers it.

It just comes down to horses for courses...........if you want a weekend toy, that puts a smile on your face, is rewarding to drive and that you want to track, then the Lb 6 is the way to go.
If you want something that is more of an all rounder, that will with stand the odd Track day, but pack a punch on the road, get you around in the snow with 4 wheel drive & make you feel you are driving something far more exotic then you actually are........then get an R.

I for one, will certainly not be turning back to pug, unless its a track weapon Cool

Just the noise alone is enough for me: Milltek Heaven Cool

and here's a supercharged one, just for good measure: Supercharged Heaven Big grin
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 19:50
rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #64
Even Better Razz

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 20:00
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
Love that sound

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 20:02
rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #66
Theres a Rotrex powered mk4 for sale 58 miles from my house might have to go and have a butchers Love

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 20:03
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
Well said Gary. I for one would be interested in upgrading to an R32. The lb6 is alright but just ain't torque enough imo. The R32 has it in spades though. And again... the heated seats... hmmm... LOL

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 20:56
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
In my opinion....
VAG as a company are great at making anything boring.
They have achieved it with every Audi out today. Including RS ones
The only cars i would even consider from them are the the R8 v10
And that mental limited edition a1 with the s3 engine.
On the VW side of things the Golf is literally in general the most dull car evermade. When previously it was one of the coolest, why to go there. The corrado, another cool car but they dont make anything like it anymore though. The scirocco which should be a cool sporty coupe is a golf with a slightly different shape but underneath it all is exactly the same car.
You can apply the same formula to the R32 imo. A car with a 3.2 litre V6 engine, 4wd (albeit haldex 4wd, this aint no Subaru/Evo and lets be honest its fwd 90% of the time)
AND THAT noise.
Yet with all of the above it STILL doesnt appeal.
Back on V.A.G making everything dull. The veyron (this will be controversial)
The fastest car in the world but it have soooo many cars over it because it sounds so s**t.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 21:01
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
Is MCFC a member on here still. He owned a SC-6 and either him or his partner own an R32

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 21:06
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
Im sure he was on there lately.
He always said the 6 was quicker but he doesnt have the balls the drive it flat out on the corner in the same way as the r32.

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 21:08
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
Bear in mind that a SC-6 is about £3k whereas a R32 is closer to £5k

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 21:11
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
Good bit on how the R32 is neither a all weather 4WD Scooby esque machine or a hardcore drivers car
Here

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 21:18
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #73
I'd take one of these over an R32 every time

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/alfa-romeo/147/147-gta-nuvola-bianco-pearlescent-white-49k-fassh/705751

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 22:05
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
All those alfa v6 are damn pretty engines....

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 22:06
asim_pug306

Senior User

Post #75
They are indeed. And have a natural V6 sound that makes me wet my pants every time I drive mine

'01 Astor Grey GTi6

'99 Cherry Rallye
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 22:14

Pages (12): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last