displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Gearbox Noise
ash j

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys,

Hoping somebody can help me out.

I had a Magnex exhaust fitted to my 6, and I wanted a change to a standard system. I struck a deal with a guy on here, and swapped my Magnex and de-cat for a standard system and cat, and he offered to fit it for me.

On the journey home from having exhaust fitted, the car started making a rattling/vibrating noise at idle and at around 3000 revs, but was fine at the rest of the rev range.

I naturally thought this was the cat/centre box banging against chassis or heat shield as it only started doing it since exhaust has been changed back to standard.

It has been getting a bit worse, and today was the first opportunity to take it to a garage to have exhaust realigned.

Anyway, I went back to pick the car up, and I was told the noise was not exhaust related, but gearbox related. I wasn't convinced at first, as again, it has only started since exhaust was changed. So they put it back on the ramp and I had a listen, sure enough it is gearbox related.

I have no idea if its is clutch, release bearings, gearbox bearings or whatever, so I'll try explaining the symptoms and see if anyone can shed some light on it.

It makes quite a lot of mechanical/grinding noises when in neutral, but when the clutch is dipped, the noise goes completely. Soon as I let the clutch out again, it comes back.

You can hear it in 1st and 2nd gear when you're driving along, more noticeable in lower gears. I was coasting home on motorway and couldn't hear it in 6th gear, and less noticeable in any gear at lower revs.

Anybody any idea what this could be? I guess it has to be a massive coincidence that this has happened at same time as exhaust being changed? Was absolutely fine before.

On another subject, I was also going to ask the garage to check track rod ends as my car is pulling to the right quite a lot, even though a track rod arm and tracking was done about 2 weeks ago (but they didn't replace the track rod end, just the arm). There is also a massive vibration through the steering wheel at about 70/80, possibly driveshaft related? Or could also be track rod end so I've been told?

Would appreciate any help as to what gearbox noise could be please guys!

Ash
Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 11:44
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #2
The fact the noise goes when the clutch is depressed suggests a release bearing noise, but that may be a seperate problem to your driving along noise. Would you say it was a whine?

The release bearing in my 205 makes a slight noise on idle and the clutch has done less than 2k - although it's been a hard 2000 miles so I can't complain.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 11:48
    jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
    if the noise goes away when you dip clucth i would say box has had it. Very unusual for these boxes to go, maybe its run low on oil
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 11:50
    jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
    a release bearing would become noisy when clutch is pressed. Pressing the clutch will stop gearbox turing and the noise goes silent suggesting the release bearing is good but noise has stopped as gearbox is stationary
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 11:53
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
    jonnie205 wrote:
    a release bearing would become noisy when clutch is pressed. Pressing the clutch will stop gearbox turing and the noise goes silent suggesting the release bearing is good but noise has stopped as gearbox is stationary

Perhaps that is what mine does then I forget now LOL Or maybe I had my symptoms correct and the box has gone instead which would be OK as it's getting changed soon.

• Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 12:01
    atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    Mine does this and has run low with gear oil in the past, and it whines like a straight cut box. Funny really, just hope it doesnt let me down in a awkward place.

owain wrote:
    A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 12:24
    ash j

Regular

Post #7
    No it isn't a whine. Makes the same sort of noise when driving along as it does when at stationary, but more so when stationary and at idle.

Pulls fine through the gears though.

Can a gearbox burn oil as such then?
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 12:25
    rikky 🦔

Post #8
    mates 2006 mini cooper was doing this and he took it all apart this weekend and rebuilt the box. job jobbed

but 2nd hand boxes for them are £300 as opposed to £50 for a gti6 one. so choice is yours really

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 12:26
    atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    Nah they dont burn oil, its just when the previous owner leaves the drain plug loose.

owain wrote:
    A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 12:45
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
    Or re uses a washer 6 times after dropping it onto a coarsely concreted floor and crumples it severly upon picking it up with smelly riggers.

• Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 12:57
    jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    it can leak from dirve shaft seals, the level will drop to just below the seals leaving some oil in the box but not enough realy especially on motorway stuff where box is up to higher temps
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 13:35
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #12
    Gearboxes don't burn oil but they can leak from any seal point, driveshafts seals etc.

Is there any evidence of an oil leak, such as staining on the bottom of the box?

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 15th Oct 2012 at 16:19