displaying posts 51 to 75 of 98

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: classifieds review
milkyb

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
If i was the owner of a site and i saw thread after thread of people complaining and not one single thread saying nice things about my efforts i would be really annoyed.

Not all feedback has to be negative.

just for the record though, i do think the classifieds is really terrible and i have stopped looking at whats for sale
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:33
rikky 🦔

Post #52
but when people are paying, they have a right to say what they feel is right and wrong. a free site i would imagine criticism is ignored but a paid one.... then again even on free ones it's taken on board

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:35
milkyb

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
everyone is banging on like they pay £25 a month plus a £99 joining fee. we paid £5, you want some shares and capital bonds with that £5?

(EDIT: i paid £5, can someone please fix the pounds symbol)
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
milkyb wrote:
If i was the owner of a site and i saw thread after thread of people complaining and not one single thread saying nice things about my efforts i would be really annoyed.

Granted, but what if you only had yourself to blame? Fair enough, Ash has a life and family and only a fixed amount of time to put into this site - I get that.

What I don't get is then how he decides to spend that little time he has. When there was talk of a "new" site, he asked for ideas on designs, new banners, colour schemes, suggestions. Everyone leapt on board, knocking up ideas and thoughts, brain dumping everything that they'd ever wanted. Everyone felt like they could be part of it, and everyone got excited about the whole project.

Then it went quiet. For ages, like six months. Then there's talk of paying for the site - again people were asked, and people gave opinions. No answers or confirmations came back, but one day we get a post saying the site's going down while the conversion is run.

People were then told they'd have to pay. No details, no discussion, no time to try out the new site before committing, just pay up. Some member levels got PMs, some didn't. Everyone soon realised this was stupid as it was causing issues contacting people who were allowed to sell items but not receive PMs - again if people had been told this was the plan, this flaw would've been pointed out well in advance of Ash wasting his time on it.

Site goes down. For weeks. Comes back up again with very little explanation, then goes back down for a few more weeks. Site comes back up, nothing much seems to have changed. People's design ideas haven't been taken into account, the code is exactly the same as it was before. Still doesn't really work on phones, still full of bugs. People who have paid can't use the site for no reason, things eventually get sorted.

Still, no-one's suggestions have been implemented or even acknowledged. Member Chat appears. Who asked for that?! Classifieds appear, everyone agrees they're awful. Again, waste of Ash's time.

If I asked people for opinions, ignored them and just made what I fancied and people were annoyed, I don't think I'd have anyone to blame but myself.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:43
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
milkyb wrote:
(EDIT: i paid �£5, can someone please fix the pounds symbol)

Why should someone fix it? Stop telling the admins what to do like you own the forum.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:43
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
Owain is right. Classifieds are s**t.

Can't really be bothered explaining why but the general consensus is that they are.
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:45
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
owain wrote:
milkyb wrote:

Granted, but what if you only had yourself to blame? Fair enough, Ash has a life and family and only a fixed amount of time to put into this site - I get that.

This is what I find the most stupid excuse ever! We all have a life and a family. No one can honestly be that busy!! And if you are, you seriously need to take a good look at your life and sort it out cus the biggest regret people admit to whilst on their death bed is working too hard! How the hell can someone be so busy unless they are a big time actor, musician, in Afgan or work for a company that doesnt let you go home. I know Americans are slave drivers but c'mon!!
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Okay well maybe he's not at work the whole time, but I can definitely believe people have better things to do than code up car forums.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 13:13
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #59
Ok...

Owain/Dan et al, you've made some good points so thanks for that. I will take this information with the aim to finding some improvements and helping all you guys out. Wink

Hopefully, we can get some positive changes made and further develop the site in the direction the majority wish to see it working. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 13:46
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Hopefully, we can get some positive changes made and further develop the site in the direction the majority wish to see it working. Smile

I think we can all agree that's all anyone wants, much appreciated Stanley.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 14:04
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
Thanks Stan.... that would cover why I wanted to start the thread. Hopefully some of the good suggestions from the thread mentioned by many sees some results leads to improvements.

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 15:50
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Lets just keep this on the case of the classifieds as the thread is based on and make another rant about the rest of the forum if you wish to.....

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 20:14
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
Pretty sure this thread's pretty much run its course.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 20:21
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #64
yippeekayay wrote:
Thanks Stan.... that would cover why I wanted to start the thread. Hopefully some of the good suggestions from the thread mentioned by many sees some results leads to improvements.

No worries Andy, I'm sure something can be sorted, I'll try my best. Thumbs up

Will bring all of the suggestions to the table and see if some changes can be made, hopefully fairly quickly. Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 29th Sep 2012 at 08:51
captainash Admin

Post #65
Now Owain's got that off his chest ... again, let's look at what we can do.

I never liked the incompleteness of having for-sale items on the forum. The adverts never contained the right information, the photos were all over the place etc, negative comments were always added .. then asked to be removed etc. The best way I could think of for getting round that was to make a separate section and try to integrate that into the everyday forum pages.

Personally, I like the way a car for sale appears at the bottom of the page. Looks Cool

We gave it a go and it didn't work. So ... opening up the old Pugs For Sale forum is do-able, but that forum is currently closed to non-members, so we'll only ever be advertising our own cars.

Option 1 - We make that one forum public. Any registered users can create posts and reply to their own threads. I imagine this will lead to spamming Sad
Option 2 - We use the existing Classifieds section for non-members, and members have full unrestricted access to the Pugs For Sale forum.
Option 3 - We keep the existing Classifieds section, but remove a lot of the rigid structure around it. Threads in the Pugs For Sale forum can only be auto-created by a Classified ad. Members can reply to anything, but non-members can only reply to their own threads.

Number 3 would get my vote, so the Classifieds section creates the threads and they're open from then on.

Any more options?

quote:
Ash is in charge, from afar
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 09:56
rikky 🦔

Post #66
there is a classfied section on another forum i go on, and it's a pain in the arse.

i personally would much prefer to use the pugs for sale section as it was, because you have control over your thread and layout. i think that there should be requirements or the thread submitted to be reviewed like on 205 drivers. if the information isn't complete, knock it back

car, details, spec, some photos, tax & mot, important stuff.. contact details etc

if any of that isn't clear or it's a dead simple blatant ad linking to an ebay advert promoting bidding, knock it back

(that also annoys me - hey here's a link to all my stuff on ebay. bid amongst yourselves - that's as bad as just putting 'offers' in parts for sale surely?!)

whatever happens i think everything needs to just be in one section rather than interlinking classifieds / a forum etc

i bet most people just go straight to the main forum pages and skip past classifieds totally. you seem to get far more exposure in the forum sale sections, and it's preferred highly because of ability to do what you want with the thread

moderation on your own thread might help, like to be able to lock it at any given moment

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:10
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
Ash, Option 2. Non paying members can have a limited classified add, those who contribute to the site, get the full pugs for sale option back again. That way if someone wants to join purely to sell their car, at least you get a membership fee out of it.

Admin (as we have a lot more active nowadays) could moderate the for sale threads as they used to

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:14
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #68
Option 2 would get my vote. Thumbs up

I think this would be a very good solution to the issue to be honest. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 15:02
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
Another vote for option 2.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 15:13
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #70
Option 2 also is my vote

I dont see why people should be just allowed to join up to sell their car.
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 15:51
captainash Admin

Post #71
Interesting. Is it worth making some changes to the Classifieds while we're doing it, or leave them as is?

quote:
Ash is in charge, from afar
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 19:20
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
Option but i also like the idea of the cars for sale at the bottom of each pageThumbs up, is there anyway that you can start a for sale ad in classifieds that when activated stays as is. When you then open up the pugs for sale, its there and you can add pics,comments and what not. But still have the basic layout at the top?

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 3rd Oct 2012 at 19:52
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
option 2 works for me too.....

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 4th Oct 2012 at 01:23
dan86

Senior User

Post #74
Option two for me. Thumbs up

For some reason the ads that appear at the bottom of every page seem to be ads that are donkeys years old. I keep seeing that nice looking blaze that has the white balance way off in the photo. It looks fluorescent. That ad is years old.

Posted 4th Oct 2012 at 09:00
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #75
captainash wrote:
Interesting. Is it worth making some changes to the Classifieds while we're doing it, or leave them as is?

Myabe just having a simple layout like the following

• Make

• Model

• Year/Reg Mark

• Colour

• Engine Size

• Tax

• MOT

• Service History

• Camblet Change Done/Due

• Owners

• Modifications

• And then allowing a free format box where the seller can put as my or as little description in.

At least with the above you have a rough idea of the car even if the seller CBA to type out war and piece about the car they are selling LOL

Posted 4th Oct 2012 at 09:23

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4