jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
What thread?
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 17:57
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #28
matt evans wrote:
Simple fact Stan, i did a classified add before and it never got published. So why bother doing it again.

Are you sure you activated it Matt? When you create a classified advert you have to make it "go live" yourself. Wink

matt evans wrote:
Strikes me of double standards Stan.

Ok, ok. I have gone through and found Matt's for sale thread. Seeing as his advert was created before the rules were made clear on what the Parts Bin should be used for, I have moved it to 'Peugeots For Sale' and you can continue with the advert. I will also do the same for Sam "playboyb" as the same applies to his advertisement.

However, as you can all now clearly see, the rules for that particular section have been clearly laid out, and any other adverts for vehicles for sale in here from now on will be permanently removed AND deleted...

I think this is fair enough, good luck with the sales guys. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 18:52
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
BRING BACK PEUGEOTS FOR SALE stan if you wanted to sell your car i bet you would prefer the old peugeots for sale over the classifieds Yes

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 18:57
woody.

Senior User

Post #30
Stan has a '6????? Shock
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 19:02
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Thank you Stan. I still think the classified is not at all nice to use, however I also appreciate its not of your doing.

Out of interest at what point do you think the Pugs for sale section might go back to how it was?

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 19:11
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
woody. wrote:
Stan has a '6????? Shock
so he claims, hes such a lier

Black p3 Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 19:20
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #33
swiftyboi006 wrote:
woody. wrote:
Stan has a '6????? Shock
so he claims, hes such a lier

LOL

You will see it one day, I promise you fellow Pug owners...Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 19:48
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #34
matt evans wrote:
Out of interest at what point do you think the Pugs for sale section might go back to how it was?

Matt - I'm actually in agreement with you and the majority of the others. I do think it was better the way we had it before, the only problem was that adverts were not always well presented and sometimes caused confusion etc.

However....

What I need from you guys, is solid, constructive ideas of how exactly you would like to see the 'For Sales' sections working. After all, it's you guys which use them. Yes

I do believe it needs changing to a more user-friendly, workable format. However before I can try and move it forwards in development we need to have some good, do-able ideas to work from. Once I have a list of useful ideas/suggestions etc, I can present them to Ash and hopefully we can make some improvements. Smile

So...discuss. Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 19:59
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Once I have a list of useful ideas/suggestions etc, I can present them to Ash

So he can pop up in three months' time, tell everyone their opinions are wrong and change nothing?

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:04
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
As this is a forum and not the auto trader and never will be i think we should be able to comment below peoples listings. Somepeople may already have asked a question you wer about to ask if that makes sense? Also people who know these cars well can backup some history of the cars being sold on this forum. I think people will agree

Black p3 Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:07
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #37
owain wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:

So he can pop up in three months' time, tell everyone their opinions are wrong and change nothing?

I think that's a bit pessimistic Owain to be honest and certainly not constructive to the cause...

I am willing to TRY and get the things YOU GUYS want changed to happen. I can't guarantee anything will change, but it's a lot better for me to say "This isn't working, however if we do this, this and that it would be a lot better" than to say "This isn't working - fix it please". Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:12
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Bring the pugs for sale section back but with something like bullet pointed must haves.....mileage,mot,tax and what not and keep the rest the same Dunno

Black p3 Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:14
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #39
swiftyboi006 wrote:
Bring the pugs for sale section back but with something like bullet pointed must haves.....mileage,mot,tax and what not and keep the rest the same Dunno

Good idea, thanks for the input. Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:16
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Also remember that the Peugeots For Sale section got crap because no admin were ever on line.

Nothing to see here
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:28
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #41
adam b wrote:
Also remember that the Peugeots For Sale section got crap because no admin were ever on line.

Another valid point. Yes

The section got cluttered in a very short space of time and there was no-one around to clean it up, things could be different this time. Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:34
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
With stan the man about it could go well a second time Thumbs up

Black p3 Love
Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 20:39
dan86

Senior User

Post #43
I think it should be restored to exactly how it used to be. I liked it. It worked.

Posted 27th Sep 2012 at 22:39
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Appreciate the fact you are engaging with this matter Stan, well done.

As a forum member of under 2 years standing (but fully paid up) I would have to agree with all the others that it was better the way it was before.

As the current Government seems to be painfully unaware, not all so-called "improvements" are worthy of the name. Also, as mentioned before, now that people pay for membership, their opinions should count for something as paying customers - especially when they are pretty much unanimous.

Otherwise people will desert the forum and it will no longer be the useful resource it was, especially when useful threads are randomly deleted (although that is another issue).

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 00:37
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
My thought are as follows.

Paid up members are allowed to post up full adverts, with as much narrative and pictures as they like, AS LONG as they adhere to a set number of bullet points at the top of the add, such as Mileage,MOT,Owners, History, Belt changed, etc etc. Then as long as thats done, they can flush the add out with propper worded descriptions and pictures.

Non paying members can advertise, but with limitations on picture numbers and wording, but still must adhere to the bullet point system as well.

It needs careful policing by admin to ensure rules are kept to.

Just my 2p worth

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 07:52
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #46
owain wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:

Remember the forum rules vid? "This is the Gti6 forum, it is not a democracy, if you don't like it you can f**k off" Laugh my ass off

Nothing's changed about that since we started paying, so I intend to put up and shut up.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 08:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
stan_306gti6 wrote:
I think that's a bit pessimistic Owain to be honest and certainly not constructive to the cause

I completely agree, it's the most accurate though Wink

Okay, here's some real thoughts and suggestions. Firstly, Ash needs to let go of his baby and give Admins more power. If he doesn't want to be around that's fine, but he should entrust the admins to sort out membership issues and such, which I believe at the moment only he can deal with. Without wanting to brown my tongue too much being an admin is a thankless task - you're the first place people throw abuse, and whenever you make a decision to end a thread or ban a user you have to consider the fallout and personal insults you'll get thrown at you. It's not a paid job, it's done for the good of the forum. We're lucky anyone volunteered at all, I sure as hell wouldn't ever want to do it.

Back before the site Went Through The Change it was infinitely busier than it is now. If you dared not check the forum for a few days you had pages on pages of threads, and any you posted had long since disappeared off the bottom of the page. There were hundreds of active members posting tonnes of s**te. Apart from the times when the server completely emptied its bowels, the site was up and running 90% of the time.

That was on a s**tty old server in Texas, running about three hundred other sites at the same time. We're now paying to be on our own server (allegedly, but Ash is oddly cagey about the details) and have probably 25% of the posts we used to have, so why is any of this even an issue? We have no slowdowns anymore, the site very rarely has issues, search is quick, so why are we going around deleting stuff? Why do we care if people post replies on For Sale threads? Who gives a s**t if someone wants to post up an ad for their dad's Granada? Who actually cares? If someone's paid to be here, let them post.

As ever, there are limits. If someone started filling the entire For Sale section then they deserve to be on the receiving end of a Smackdown Stick, but y'know what? That's what the admins are for. We didn't have admins before, and that was part of the issue.

Everyone agrees the site had its problems, however many changes were implemented at once, meaning there was no "fair test" as to what fixed the issue. Who's to say that by implementing admins the number of crappy posts and spam wouldn't have gone down and we wouldn't even have needed to move to a new server? Site wouldn't have been down for a month, countless members wouldn't have given up caring and gone elsewhere. No need to move to new server = no need to charge for the site, therefore a more active site. A more active site can get more cash from advertising, therefore even more reason why people don't have to pay.

I'm no businessman, I've never run a car club and I'm sure as hell no mechanic but you know what, I know a s**tload about websites and online companies, and the ones that make people pay *all* fail. All of them. Unless you're offering up some exclusive resource that you have the sole rights to, it will fail.

By putting in Classifieds people didn't want, by auto-locking them and by auto-deleting old threads nothing has been improved, it's just driven more and more people away. What's being done at the moment to keep people here? Nothing. Remember a couple of years ago when people would flock to this site saying how great it was, how they really wanted to sign up and how much better it was than all the other Pug forums? Yeah, not to much anymore.

So. FFS.

Give admins more power.
Ditch the Classifieds, no-one wants them
Stop deleting threads, there's no need
Stop telling people what they want, listen to them instead. They're your customers.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 09:18
milkyb

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Owain, I've always thought your ideas are good, valid and would improve this forum vastly, and im sure it is constructive criticism well received by senior admin but at the end of the day...you need to let it go brah...

You are a user just like the rest of us, just accept the forum for what it is and stop trying to nit pick the flaws. its never gonna be perfect and until Ash makes you a super user, stop thinking this is your forum.

owain wrote:
Stop telling people what they want, listen to them instead. They're your customers.

Stop telling admin what YOU want. You're THEIR customer.
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
milkyb wrote:
You are a user just like the rest of us, just accept the forum for what it is and stop trying to nit pick the flaws. its never gonna be perfect and until Ash makes you a super user, stop thinking this is your forum.

I don't by any means think it's my forum, but it's a forum I pay to use. I'm not saying Ash should make changes because *I* say so, I'm saying they should be made because the majority of people seem to have the same opinion - the classifieds are awful and the deletion of threads is stupid.

I just think it's a shame that what used to be a great, active forum will probably be dead in a couple of years. Excuse me for trying to help stop that happen.

Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:16
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #50
I do think Owain and others (me included in the past) making strong, close to the line comments actually helps get a point across.

We can all sit here begging and live with it, or we can provide fair critism. Think of it as feedback perhaps.

A lot of members on here don't even have GTi6's anymore. But perhaps they have experience, an interest or even a sense of humour for a community going back years. Long may they continue to have those memories of members misfortune, banter etc.

If the banter dries up because of non renewals, others will follow suit. I'm waiting for the first person to say 'We don't need banter, just the knowledge'. Buy a Haynes manual. This site for me has always been about the helpful members that 1 minute will reel off the hub nut socket size, and harmful banter the next. I almost treat it as a lighthearted banter board with the GTi6 just being a thing in common.

I'm almost surprised we get away with what we do, but thankfully the admin team aren't mini Hitlers. That is another thing that keeps the non GTi6 owning people here.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 10:32

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last