displaying posts 1 to 25 of 26

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: the best way to break the 306
king of the hill

Regular

Post #1
this needs to go by the end of the week,so thinking about breaking,never really done this before so whats the best way to
dismantle
thanks in advance

DON!T BUY IT---EARN IT
Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:11
rikky 🦔

Post #2
depends if you need to move it, having it rolling always helps but depends what you're selling

beam
interior
engine
suspension
panels

it's literally a case of finding out who's after what and the biggest bits you can get rid of first. getting shut of the interior helps as you can stash stuff inside it then

i've broke a few of my own now and it's a good way to make money but it takes a while and you deal with idiots and have random strangers showing up at your house at 9pm with loud exhausts to collect bits

having something to put the shell on like a metal base with wheels helps so you can move the bare shell (if it's in an area where space is limited for a truck or hiab to pick the bare shell up (assuming you scrap it)

depends how quick you want it gone too cos it'll take more than a week to shift stuff unless you gut it and scrap the shell, but you have bits laying around then and it's a waiting game for people to see stuff and want it. sometimes it's easier to get the big bits off and scrap the rest, but there is more money in it keeping everything!

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:13
king of the hill

Regular

Post #3
thanks Rikky basically i have 1 space and 3 cars so the 306 must go i am limited for space,there is some bits that would go easy,as you say sell the best bits then scrap it
cheers

DON!T BUY IT---EARN IT
Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:29
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #4
Do you have an engine crane, angle grinder, impact gun etc?

If your rolling with a hand me down canvas tool bag full of blackspur tools and a scissor jack - all the best.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:31
    cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    king of the hill wrote:
    whats the best way to break the 306

Drive it, will break on its own soon enough Yes Laugh

Chris
    1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
    2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:45
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
    crack hub nuts, stick up on 4 stands, drop beam off drop subframe off, drop exhaust off manifold, remove panels remove interior, pull out engine.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:48
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #7
    If your doing it on a surburban drive, I would leave the panels and beam until last.

That way, the interior can be removed and stored inside as Rikky mentions. Then have the car up on 2 stands at the front and the engine/suspension off and it will resemble a vehicle to passers by. Then on the day of scrapping, drop the beam and panels if required.

Who is going to dispose of it? Rather than have a bare shell sat there do some forward planning and book a pik vehicle removal guy to come collect it. Word of warning, not all will jump at the chance to travel to remove a 400kg shell with no cat etc. So advise them it's a non rolling shell. If you have a trailer obviously take it to a scrap merchant yourself. I use a pallet with a ply board on under the centre and drag lift it on the trailer and away I go. Even with the new ruling on showing ID, I have never been asked for a V5C.

• Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 10:58
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    If you have an engine hoist or access to one by far the quickest way is to drop the engine, gearbox, subframe etc, etc all in one lump and split it on the floor when it's out.

Get the beam off the back, rip the interior out and remove whatever panels you want to keep, easily do able in a day.

Ryan
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:02
    rikky 🦔

Post #9
    also fill fuel tank with water and stuff anything you can find in any hole for maximum moneys

the above is not my own advice though

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:03
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
    rikky wrote:
    also fill fuel tank with water and stuff anything you can find in any hole for maximum moneys

Yes Fuel tank is a great used engine oil/PAS fluid/gearbox oil/brake fluid/anti freeze receptacle.

• Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:09
    yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    I got 65 squid for a bare shell with doors on and glass still in 2 months ago. If your engines a high miler I would just weigh the lot in less the wheels cat and any uprated parts good seats... bitron relay hockey sticks wing mirrors and thats about it. I have about 3 cars in pieces at the moment and nothing other the engine box sells for anything worthwhile travelling 30 miles each way to meet anyone who may or may not turn up. Also you may have the engine for months before it sells so all in all scrap it less the 10 to 20 quid bits you can get off.

And having just looked at your car for sale leave the engine in strip garbs cage and all other parts and weigh in with another scrap metal you can fins in it.

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
    x box "yippeekayaymofo"
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:12
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
    rikky wrote:

Doesn't work round here, first thing they do is stick a big hole in the tank.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:30
    rikky 🦔

Post #13
    LOL

Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:53
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #14
    60L of sludge over their floor FTL LOL

• Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 11:56
    jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    drop the subframe and then drop the engine out on a jack. Should be able to strip it no probs in half a day but to be honest i would only take engine, box, beam, wheels and brakes and weigh the rest in.
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 12:41
    jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    drop the subframe and then drop the engine out on a jack. Should be able to strip it no probs in half a day but to be honest i would only take engine, box, beam, wheels and brakes and weigh the rest in.
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 12:41
    heliosphan

Senior User

Post #17
    I guffawed at the thought of this:

dangti6 wrote:
    rikky wrote:

Yes Fuel tank is a great used engine oil/PAS fluid/gearbox oil/brake fluid/anti freeze receptacle.

And then, inevitably, this:

dangti6 wrote:
    60L of sludge over their floor FTL LOL

Scrap man thinks "Mmm, free fuel I can hear sloshing around in that tank. Finders keepers." LOL
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 12:48
    roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #18
    Or just drop the price to something bargain-tastic so you havent got the ballache of breaking it in the 1st place Wink
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 13:34
    rikky 🦔

Post #19
    couldn't sell my six for £700 so broke it over 4 weeks and made £1k and kept the engine brakes and front suspension LOL

and that's why paypal are on my case about money laundering the douchebags, it's a joke

Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 13:36
    roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #20
    rikky wrote:
    couldn't sell my six for £700 so broke it over 4 weeks and made £1k and kept the engine brakes and front suspension LOL

and that's why paypal are on my case about money laundering the douchebags, it's a joke

haha how did you manage to make so much without selling the engine/brakes? LOL
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 13:38
    rikky 🦔

Post #21
    tbh i sold most stuff, its handy having a big garage really, i gave the shell away aswell to a mate with a hiab but it was completely empty.. i literally managed to shift 95% of it, i did well actually

i think i made £650-700 on a silver one i broke, i gave allanallen on here the bare engine for nowt, and it was like this when i scrapped it: http://rikky.net/upload/scrap6.jpg - i kept the bumper and bonnet but the rest was scapped (i gave it away)

second one - http://rikky.net/upload/scrap6-2.jpg - it was gutted totally and sold pretty much everything off it. this is the one i kept the engine for for my 205 - http://rikky.net/upload/lump.jpg Hyper

there's definitely money in it but it takes forever and it's ballache posting stuff. i was gonna break my 406 v6 up but i've got a bare shell in the middle of the garage now LOL and 3 broken peugeots so naturally the mrs is kicking off Whistle

Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 13:41
    roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #22
    rikky wrote:
    there's definitely money in it but it takes forever and it's ballache posting stuff.

Yeah you're right and Thug and I have made some good money from our join "Hobby" over the last few years

But its got to the point where you're giving bits away like complete engines for £250 inc box etc that you have to draw the line.I moved on the Clio 172's but even they are getting to the point of a lot of hassle for a small return so a new venture is needed.
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 14:59
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #23
    When selling engines it's a bit hit and miss I think. Depends who is looking and where you are in relation at the time.

I recently sold a '6 engine for £600 with mild cams yet minus most of the ancillaries.

• Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 15:09
    roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #24
    dangti6 wrote:
    When selling engines it's a bit hit and miss I think. Depends who is looking and where you are in relation at the time.

I recently sold a '6 engine for £600 with mild cams yet minus most of the ancillaries.

You can pipe down!you're the catalyst of ruining mine and Jon's 306 parts empire LOL
    Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 15:13
    rikky 🦔

Post #25
    he sold me a full engine for £75 on a pallet delivered including box and everything. posted to Argentina. lovely and cheap

Posted 24th Sep 2012 at 15:55

Pages (2): [1] 2