displaying posts 1 to 25 of 37

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Jamies Baby Blaze
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #1
Well it all started playing golf one day, I was having a bad round until......

The guy who i was playing with happened to be the service manager at my local garage, he proceeded to tell me about one of his customers who had a GTI6 which had to go due to the arrival of a new company car, i knew the car in question straight away as it lived just down the road from me, after a little bit of prying and perseverance i got to view the car, as i remembered and had been told it had been mechanically maintained well by the garage with lots and lots of bills, however the interior not quite so good and pretty filthy (This got me thinking!)

When it came to the crunch i made an offer and walked away as the guy was not ready to let it go, or for what i offered, so as far as my thinking went i had been blown out the water already.

3 weeks later however i got the call, "your cars here to collect as i'm off on holiday tomorrow" so off I went!

in this 3 weeks though I'd managed to buy yet another go-kart to fill the mother in-laws garage up with the one i already have and now a car to put on her drive just in time for my operation 2 days later!

In the next 6 weeks of recuperation is when i met all you wonderful guys on here, i was helpless and had plenty of time so thought I'd sign up on here as i had plenty of questions that needed answers and lots of stuff i wanted to buy, well i certainly havn't been let down as everyone has been so helpful and such a credit, i cant thank you enough!

The car was perfect, I have always been around Motorsport as my Dad raced in top level saloon cars and my family had owned a Peugeot dealership yet i have never driven round a circuit myself............... Time to change that!

So far................ i have owned the car a couple of months now but only just got back on my feet, the mother in-laws spare room is full of parts I've collected and there's a car on the drive that needs building so here goes!

I just had to look at it for weeks now without being able to start!

My best mate decided he'd make a start for me, and seeing as everyone had helped me out i offered all the parts on here for free

This weekend the real work started, ready for some seat fitting this week, i intend to give everything i can a good go myself and learn as much as i can in the process

advice very welcome and accepted with open arms! hope you all have as good a laugh reading as I'm going to building!

"winners come and go but legends never die..."
autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 16th Sep 2012 at 23:48
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Always good to see a project on the go. Look forward to some progress. Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 17th Sep 2012 at 11:17
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
I'm not to far away if you need help with welding related items like seat bars etc. glwt project

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 17th Sep 2012 at 15:32
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #4
Thanks guys, hopefully keep the progress going and get some pictures up soon!

Making a start on the seat bars tomorrow night so with a bit of luck I may have some more

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 17th Sep 2012 at 20:14
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Looking good fella. Whats your Dads name then?

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 17th Sep 2012 at 21:08
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #6
yeah getting there with collecting all the parts, anybody got any preference on nice crisp exhausts?
His name is David Oates.

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 17th Sep 2012 at 21:18
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
i run a 2.5 powerflow straight through to a box, its loud and raspy!!! your not too far from me and pug performance and pug racing!!

Posted 18th Sep 2012 at 18:52
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #8
I've got hold of a 2.5" straight through to a scorpion box, with a decat so hopefully it'll be OK. have you ever struggled with noise db on track? needs a bit of modifying though, it came from Colin as i live in four marks and actually work next to PPM, what do you drive as I've probably seen you go past?!

Had a bit of a mare tonight though! started working out how to do the seats, which isn't as easy as I thought and hoped as me being me bought Corbeau Revolution style which is proving to be a bit harder than first thought, due to them being very wide.

I'm trying to make them easy to move backwards and forwards without using the sliders as they are going to make the seats to far too high, but they need to be easy to adjust as not everybody is as lanky as me!

will crack on and get some pics up asap

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 18th Sep 2012 at 22:18
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
who else is gonna drive ya car mine are bolted solid lol. i would say that my system is too loud for track and hopefully the turbo should shut it up a bit lol.

Posted 19th Sep 2012 at 10:27
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #10
Haha, I might have to make some ammendmants then, maybe have a centre box still?

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 19th Sep 2012 at 21:16
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
Tallguy_2 wrote:
I've got hold of a 2.5" straight through to a scorpion box, with a decat so hopefully it'll be OK. have you ever struggled with noise db on track? needs a bit of modifying though, it came from Colin as i live in four marks and actually work next to PPM, what do you drive as I've probably seen you go past?!

Had a bit of a mare tonight though! started working out how to do the seats, which isn't as easy as I thought and hoped as me being me bought Corbeau Revolution style which is proving to be a bit harder than first thought, due to them being very wide.

I'm trying to make them easy to move backwards and forwards without using the sliders as they are going to make the seats to far too high, but they need to be easy to adjust as not everybody is as lanky as me!

will crack on and get some pics up asap

People really struggle with this on these cars, the thing to do is cut out the box sections welded to either side of the tunnel (If you are having a passenger seat the same that is? Then you've more room for fitting in bars and mounts.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 21st Sep 2012 at 17:04
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #12
Do you mean the box going from the tunnel to the sill on either side or running in line with the tunnel?

It wouldn't be so hard if I didn't have such a unique shape, long legs and shortish arms!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 22nd Sep 2012 at 09:21
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #13
Well yes it's actually both, it's been a while since I looked at a standard floor pan. Cut out the crossmember that goes under the seat and chop back the box section that parallels the tunnel and you will have a bit more room to gt the seats further over and lower.

Harness bars
Posted 22nd Sep 2012 at 10:34
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #14
Will get some decent pictures up soon! Both seats are now in, very nice and low, also dead central to the steering wheel, really happy with them. Got a jetex exhaust delivered this week, prepped it and coated it ready to go on the car, I thought I'd attempt this myself! My mate said to put the car over the pit and off I went, bit of a mission getting the lambda sensor out and the box off the back! Eventuall it all came crashing down, cat and everything!

Putting the decat and new system on took a bit of fitting and moving in to place, after a bit of time it seemed pretty good and sounds mint when it's started up, nice and crisp yet not boomy at all!!!!!

The wheels are only on as a temporary measure!!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 28th Sep 2012 at 02:51
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #15
Well, been a little while since much has happened. Flat out readying the kart and stock car and at work doing loads of hours saving for Daytona 500 next year

Had a good weekend on her, got the rear beam lowered by a notch and the new adjustable shocks and springs on the front along with some mintex 1155 pads and the strut brace, an absolute transformation!

I wanted to get along to the French car night at ace too but only wanted to go if it looked half decent so when I had the car at home in the evenings I had all the seats and subframes back out and painted the floors, made myself some aluminium foot plates and fitted the rear interior cards which were ripped, splitter which was missing, mirrors as one was cracked and pillar vinyl's off Jord294 which was handy as they were split, sparco boss and spacer etc

That got me to where I am now:

Really enjoyed Ace, was nice to meet some peopke and put names to faces!

Not much will get done this weekend with brands hatch Saturday and Wimbledon Sunday

Next bits are, manual winders, finish and fit front door cards, tidy some more wiring, fit my p3 crystals which were a £17 bargain!!! And give her a good coat of t-cut and wax ready for the winter!

Cheers, opinions welcomed as always!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 20th Oct 2012 at 23:40
seans6

Senior User

Post #16
Nice progress! What seats are they?
Posted 20th Oct 2012 at 23:59
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #17
Same as the corbeau revolution we use in the race car mate

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 00:01
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Ahhhhh i remember seeing this at Ace the other night, didnt realise it was yours. Top work Thumbs up

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 00:24
stilly

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
dont suppose you have some piccys of the seat bars welded in...Smile

deaf in 1 eye blind in 1 ear Crazy......

307 136bhp daily drive.....

306 rallye stripped out and charged.....

lee_gti6 also known as "the tit".....

stan_306gti6 also known as "stan the dick".......

Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 07:24
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #20
Yeah I'll try and get some later, I've taken a fairly different approach, I was tempted to cut out part of the tunnel and the sill to tunnel but at the end of the day that is an integral structural part of the design of the car so preffered not too.
My seats are now low and dead central to the wheel, they needed to be central otherwise the doors wouldn't close because of the "wings"

I've used the original rear tunnel side mounting point and front tunnel side mounting point is all plated and bolted. The door sides are all braced and gusset'd effectively I've made a little frame out of angle as I find its very good to bolt through in comparison to box which can crush. This little piece was all made making sure the seats dead level and square, this piece is fixed by welding it in and by bolting through the floor and substantially plating the underside.

Had a few people ask about the wheels these are team dynamics pro race 1's, but are a bit different as they are part mag and in 17" are under 6kg. I like the look personally and it means one day my AP 6 pots will fit!!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 21st Oct 2012 at 08:52
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #21
Bit more done tonight and the weekend, got the winders in (electric motors here if anyone wants them)? Door cards all fitted and looking sweet!

Lights however......... Who would thinking two pieces of plastic with bulbs in could be such a pain in the arse!! Looking good though eventually!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 25th Oct 2012 at 22:01
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Where did you source the pro race 1s?

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 25th Oct 2012 at 22:26
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #23
I managed to get them out the back door of a Motorsport team, they seem to be fairly rare, want to buy them? Lol

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 25th Oct 2012 at 23:05
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Tempting!

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 25th Oct 2012 at 23:42
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #25
Well, havnt done much in a little while, got myself a cheap set of wheels to use as winter ones so started doing them last night. Mainly because I don't want to inialate the mags over winter etc. I picked up the 1.2's cheap, bought a set of 3 with 2 very good tyres for £11.50 and then found the 4th one that completed the set!

I think I'm going to keep the current wheels for circuit as I've got my slicks to go on them!

After this she should be off for a service and the dreaded MOT!

autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 29th Nov 2012 at 06:57

Pages (2): [1] 2