displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Will I get value out of fixing her up?
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Going to be chopping in my '6 and I'm wondering if I should spend to save, if you know what I mean!

I've spent quite a bit to keep the mechanical side in working order but various things let the car down. The front bumper has the grille missing and is cracked so really needs replaced, including the front fog lights. The rear discs and pads need done, although I know that's relatively cheap. The front fans have given up, but i don't know if it's the thermostat or if the fans are knackered. It needs a service as well and the wheels could do with a refurb as well. The tyres are good though.

I have had the clutch changed, various suspension bits as and when required, a new front shock absorber, new radiator, brake pipes, front and rear suspension mounts, track rod ends and a few other bits and bobs.

So, trade in its probably £200, eBay I might get £400. If I get a new bumper, get fans sorted, refurb wheels, get drivers seat retrimmed, try and deal with the patch of rust and get it serviced will I get more for it?

It's a phase 2.5 in black, paintwork isn't great but it shines up pretty well, has done 126k miles and Cam belt was done at 103k by methven garage in Perth so won't need done for another 10k at least and it's an S reg. should I spend £500 and do what I can? Will I make £800 for the car? Opinions?

In case someone asks, thinking about either a Leon Cupra (non R), Octavia vRS or Megane RS 225. I am also considering an Accord Type R but they're like rocking horse s**te up here!
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:10
rikky 🦔

Post #2
personally I'd just break it up for spares. you'll be much better off than £200 / £400

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:18
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I know but I don't really have the equipment to strip it and I really have nowhere to keep it all while I do it.
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:22
T400 PUG Banned!

Post #4
no money in these cars when they are worth more in bits than something which can be driven. Crazy

nobody wants a 10+ year old car anymore, bloody toffs want audis and s**t.

you aint nutin without a 10 grand motor these days. girls just dont want to know about some scrubber in a 12 year old shed. LOL
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:23
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
T400 PUG wrote:
no money in these cars when they are worth more in bits than something which can be driven. Crazy

nobody wants a 10+ year old car anymore, bloody toffs want audis and s**t.

That is what I am worried about. I may try and source a bumper and see about getting the seat trimmed as it really let's the interior down. That and the overheating but I may just trade it in and hope he doesn't just decide to scrap it. I'm hopeful they will fix it and offer it up at £995 or something or send it to auction. It would be a real shame to scrap it, it's been unreliable and temperamental but when it was working it was great!
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:30
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Bin the shed not worth spending anything over the stamp to send the V5 back.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:41
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Yeah I'm thinking just trade it or whack it on eBay, auction style, £200 reserve and see what happens.
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:45
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
Have you driven an Accord Type R?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:45
    misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    No. They're very rare north of the border. The idea of being civilised and almost docile and then beng able to let rip when needed does appeal but they're not much newer than the '6 and have some problems that I'm aware of. It's one of the options but the Leon is looking like the favourite at the moment.
    Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:47
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
    In that case I think you'd be even more disappointed. Should never have been given the Type R badge.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:49
    swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    Get a civic ek9

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
    blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
    Black p3 Love
    Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:52
    misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    dangti6 wrote:
    In that case I think you'd be even more disappointed. Should never have been given the Type R badge.

Really? I heard they were pretty good? LSD and everything?
    Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 22:54
    darzmat

Senior User

Post #13
    i think all of the type R range had lsd.

for a 2.2 they are not all that great.

was quite annoyed today, as there is a black one that passes through my town every now and then, and today i was finally behind him, was going to go out the road with him, but had my son in the car so i just went home. would of liked to see how it went, although im positive it was my pug i was in when i bet a 2.2 prelude. so they cant be that great.

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 10th Sep 2012 at 01:00
    misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    Different 2.2 in the ATR though? 212BHP supposedly.

Thought about a CTR but I've heard the ride is rock hard? Loads of speed bumps round my place!

I'm kind of moving away from the Octavia, only got a 5 speed and i've got the 6 speed buzz now! Leon has a 6 speed box. Smile
    Posted 10th Sep 2012 at 01:23