displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Tyre load index
GTI-6

Regular

Post #1
Hey guys. My tyres are shot.

Saw these
http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/kumho-195-50r15-81v-ku31.html

Load index is 81V, but the minimum on the 306 should be 84. Will this be an issue?

Thanks folks!

Love thy 6
Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 11:48
GTI-6

Regular

Post #2
yo, i need some help, these things go off sale in 30 mins!

Love thy 6
Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 11:57
GTI-6

Regular

Post #3
buuuuuuuuuuuump

Love thy 6
Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 12:03
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Incorrect load rating?

Just say No

Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 12:20
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
indeed, in the UK everyone uses the wrong size tyres and hence the wrong weight loading.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 12:53
GTI-6

Regular

Post #6
Thanks heaps for the response guys. I always used slightly lower profile tyres in the UK. Never even thought about the load tbh. Wouldn't use lower speed rating.

Only really thought about it when I last got tyres out here and the garage wouldn't fit the tyres i wanted as they were lower rated.

Sooo, I bought the above tyres. They're an 81v, should fit an 84v according to the info card. Is this going to be a big issue?
It's a commute car for me, occasionally me and the missus. Did the math and I've got about 6-700 kgs spare, so thought f**k it and bought them. Maybe not the best choice. I dunno.

seen people on here loving the PE2s etc on a 50 profile, but the load index is around 81/82 for them...

Sorry if I seem like a complete muppet. dont wanna shell out for 4 tyres i cant use.

Love thy 6
Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 14:23
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
84 does seem excessive in this case as they can take a maximum load of 1000kg's over each axle and the 6 weighs in at around 1200kg’s all in.

The pic above was one of the tyres that were supplied on my S6 by Audi and it looked like that after just 1500 miles.

The biggest concern I have would be insurance; if you have an accident and the tyres were deemed to be a contributing factor and you have fitted a lower spec than recommended you could end up in a whole heap of trouble.

Like you I used to put 50 profile on my 6 rather than 55 but the loading and speed rating was still correct.
Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 15:07
GTI-6

Regular

Post #8
Thanks barry...

Insurance not required out here, only 3rd party medical. I'll get third party, but Ive got a shed load of points, so will go from there.

Cant believe your tyres got that bad after 1500 miles. that's awful!

I've had some crappy zeta tyres to get me through mot. been on here 6 months and less than 10,000kms. Found a hole in one this morning. I figure some semi decent kumhos with a slighty lower load rating will be better than the crap thats on there now. The car is never fully loaded. 1/2 occupants max, so im gonna go with it.

Couldnt find 195/50/15 in anything above an 82V. what did you use?

Love thy 6
Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 15:16
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
I don't know what the regs are for tyres over there, as long as they're all the same size here and have enough tread they don't seem to care much, technically should have the speed rating above the VMax of that model.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Sep 2012 at 15:30