Author Subject: Richies Project Rallye
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
coskev wrote:
Getting through itThumbs up

Have you treated the pitted areas where you removed rust from?Dunno

Unreal the amount of surface rust on the majority of these old sheds nowAngry

After looking at your gay picture I can now see why you like the grilleYes You are the young chav I recommended you sold the grille to on E-Bay!!!!!!Yes

I ground all the pitted areas back and sprayed the lot with Hammerite. Should be all ok now.

The rust is only present if the car hasn't been looked after properly i guess.

And ref my picture - Hahaha nutter

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 27th Aug 2012 at 22:13
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
I have some photos of it all cleaned up...

And painted

I also did the Hubs today, cleaned all the rust up and hammerite'd them!

The suspension struts will be changed at some point so i left them for that reason.
I undersealed the wheel arches and bottom of the engine bay to give extra protection against rust. I don't think there is anywhere on the front of the car now that has rust on it lol!

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 1st Sep 2012 at 21:13
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Nice job. Been doing same area on mine over the last couple of weeks while doing uni assignments. Takes fricking ages, or maybe it is just the way I'm doing it. And then when it looks OK I poke another piece of underseal and pull it off revealing more rust! Need some more wire brushes too.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Sep 2012 at 23:23
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
mik wrote:
Nice job. Been doing same area on mine over the last couple of weeks while doing uni assignments. Takes fricking ages, or maybe it is just the way I'm doing it. And then when it looks OK I poke another piece of underseal and pull it off revealing more rust! Need some more wire brushes too.

I wire brushed the entire bay lol, regardless of whether it looked clean or rusty. One way to tell if the metal was ok or not. LOL

Almost done on the bay after the subframe and gearbox mount. Cannot wait to start on the engine and clean that up!!
I've been doing this every chance i get, sometimes at 7am Smile. how is your's looking?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 2nd Sep 2012 at 09:46
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
I haven't taken engine out yet. Chassis rails half done and in zinc primer, still getting rust off toward the front of the rails (when I get a patch of clean metal I paint it straight away and then move on to next bit). Have finished inside strut towers, ground off the rust, 2 applications of de-ox gel, zinc primed, red painted and clear waxed.

Going away for a couple of weeks so got to reassemble wheels on etc and roll it back into garage today.

When back, remove rad and do inside of chassis rails, new rad, then nice satin black painted slam panel etc back on. Another couple of full days work I reckon. However, am moving house (again - job change) late Oct so need it sorted before then.

This stuff takes ages. I started at the rear bumper working my way forward and that was a year ago.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Sep 2012 at 11:32
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
I know it takes ages, i'm not De-oxing it though, wire brushing it back, painting it with Hammerite and then undersealing it. That should stop the rust fine Big grin

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 2nd Sep 2012 at 21:03
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
I took off the rubber mount today after i just found out how to take it off!! Surprisingly minimal rust under there which is amazing considering the state of the engine bay itself!!!! A wire brushing down followed by a hammeriting and the mount is like new!

Fitted new droplinks and balljoints today, also cleaned up the wiring tying it away neatly.

Then moved onto working on the engine, which is in S**t state, after cutting myself twice with undoing the bolts. I snapped the bolt holding the tensioner onto the mounting bracket.

Also the Power steering pump is being held up by one bloody bolt that keeps slipping! Driving me up the wall to be honest!!
So i need to somehow remove it without getting the angle grinder out, and sort out that snapped bolt in the mount.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 3rd Sep 2012 at 23:22
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Managed to get the bolts in the end from a place in Portsmouth Smile

And have since been working on the engine to clean up all the rust and dirt that presented itself.
Had a few delays waiting for parts, i had the replace the PAS Pump after angle grinding through it to remove a seized bolt.

Most parts have been painted, i have a few to follow but that can wait till tomorrow.

Heres a sneak preview of the engine almost ready to go back into the bay.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 19:14
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Fairdo's your putting the hours in!Thumbs up

Engine looks great compared to when removedYes

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 20:35
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Looks awesome mate

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 20:36
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
wow what a difference
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 20:40
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Getting there eh? :p Worth the evenings out there after work.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 9th Sep 2012 at 21:02
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Right, it's been a little while since i updated this. I've now painted other parts of the engine, Rebuilt it and put it back in the engine bay.
Unlike what is shown in the photo below, she is now running and also has the Radiator and the fans put back on.

After all was put back together, i turned her over; Crapped myself when she wouldn't register anything on the dash and more so when she tapped to high heaven!
I turned her off and back on again, thankfully the dash had registered - must have somehow reconfigured herself completely.
After letting her get to temperature and bleeding the cooling system, she pumped out hot air, ran sweet as a nut and the tapping died down to the normal tick over.
Video of her running is on FB atm but i'm struggling to upload to Photobucket.

The only annoying thing i am struggling with now is the bloody balljoint on the passenger side, i managed to drop a litre of Gearbox oil when the driveshaft popped out of place when moving the hub. And not content with that, i knocked over my only full bottle of G/B oil and now i have to buy some more!!
Working by yourself on putting the balljoint into the hub is bloody difficult!!
Anyone got any tips?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 16th Sep 2012 at 02:01
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Find a friend...

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 16th Sep 2012 at 21:40
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
ballardpaul wrote:
Find a friend...

LOL

Ball joints are sooooooo easy! Good work so far Thumbs up

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 16th Sep 2012 at 22:39
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
My plan for that balljoint is having a mate hold it in place, we'll see how well that goes Big grin

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 16th Sep 2012 at 22:42
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
ballardpaul wrote:
Find a friend...

But i don't have any friends? LOL

I'll be giving a good friend of mine a call this week, see if he can push on the hub whilst i hold the balljoint down.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 16th Sep 2012 at 23:36
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
Small update for you, Driveshafts are in, Balljoints are both pinched into the hub and front end is back on.

Had a problem with the Passenger driveshaft, split the boot again and had to fit a new one. However the C shaped pin that holds the head on snapped.
Finding another one proved difficult and Peugeot would only sell one with a new kit at the fun price of £38!
So i had an ingenious idea of turning a Keyring into the new C shaped clip - which worked!! and now it's all back together .

Next bit that follows is putting a new track rod on the passenger side, cleaning up and spraying the callipers. Fitting the brake discs and pads. Then the front end is almost complete!

The slam panel needs painting, and so does the new grill. but that will be done in time Also Front bumper needs replacing because of damage i found.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 18th Sep 2012 at 22:36
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Awsome work Smile

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 19th Sep 2012 at 00:55
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
That's come on quickly, fair play. Keep it coming. Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 19th Sep 2012 at 05:04
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Bit delayed in updating again. Heres a photo of all new bushes Big grin

And now with new Headlights in and the grill back on. Just need a set of Hockey sticks now :p

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 21st Sep 2012 at 22:20
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
Coming together wellThumbs up

One thing though,get that induction kit either replaced or moved higher in the bayYes

Where its positioned now it will suck up the first big puddle you drive through and knacker your engineThumbs down

Posted 22nd Sep 2012 at 13:26
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
coskev wrote:
Coming together wellThumbs up

One thing though,get that induction kit either replaced or moved higher in the bayYes

Where its positioned now it will suck up the first big puddle you drive through and knacker your engineThumbs down

Cheers buddy, i have naff all room in the bay, but i do have an engine under tray there? will that make any difference?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 22nd Sep 2012 at 15:52
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Right, finally got the car off of the Axle stands today Big grin

After fitting a jubilee clip to the CV Boot to secure it, i then fitted both brakes (freshly painted):

And fitted some new Badges (from Custom Decals - Thank you very much buddy!)

After a quick move around on the drive, i gave her a bath to remove all the dirt and grime off of her i caused!

Thats it for now Big grin

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 22nd Sep 2012 at 21:42
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Looks a nice straight carCool

Glad to see the chavvy grille is not on it!!!!!Big grin

If you really must keep the gay induction kit,air-box is way betterYes ,remove the orig hose you have got between filter and TB,then get yourself some pipe so you can raise it up Thumbs up

Posted 23rd Sep 2012 at 10:29

Pages (6): 1 [2] 3 .. last