displaying posts 501 to 516 of 516

Pages (21): first .. 19 20 [21]

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #501
Did a bit more wiring work over the last few weeks. Here you can see the ECU mount brackets, pretty simple and not the most exciting but better than cable ties:

I changed the engine bay fuse box to a double layer so I can put in some maxi fuses and also wired in a relay for the starter which means the car starts properly now. Not my best work but it'll do

While I was there I wired in a plug so I can have an external start button which is handy if I want to turn the engine over without the ignition on for example to do a compression test:

Here you can see the buttons behind the steering wheel

I need to wire them up, it's a bit fiddly as the flexible wire has very thing gauge stuff so need to order in some very low amperage wire and a good connector.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 16:08
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #502
Looking good Dan Thumbs up
Like your remote start button

Anymore plans ?

I see Rallye_Ash fitted a new rad into his 205 and it had a built in expansion tank Thumbs up
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 16:50
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #503
Like the omex brackets like you say simple but effective, mines Velcro stuck in place lol

With the steering controls if it helps I run one of these for steering controls so there wireless and pleased with it

https://blinkstop.co.uk/shop/freewheel

Not that cheap but Cheaper than the summit etc and works well
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 18:05
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #504
blandy wrote:
Like the omex brackets like you say simple but effective, mines Velcro stuck in place lol

With the steering controls if it helps I run one of these for steering controls so there wireless and pleased with it

https://blinkstop.co.uk/shop/freewheel

Not that cheap but Cheaper than the summit etc and works well

Mike this guy 3D printed me two brackets for my new DTA s100 ECU ...£20 which I thought was brilliant

Love your Steering wheel controls Thumbs up

https://flic.kr/p/2iDXc29
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 18:13
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #505
Yeah saw that in your fb looks smart,

Dan/Damien any ideas what water temp yours gets to on track?
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 20:43
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #506
I run a dished wheel so nothing standard first so decided to make my own. I got 4 of the brackets made plus the 6 ECU bracket for £90 so not too bad.

I think mine sits around 91 on track in clear air. I can pull the logs in the morning and have a look

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 21:12
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #507
I run a 19 row fully open sandwich plate that helps to keep mine under 92 ...but remember Mike mines highly stressed and my rad has that cowling and huge Radiator that helps keep the Water cool even after 10 laps of Combe

Cooler Oil helps cooler water etc etc ...but my huge Radiator with cowling makes a massive difference
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 21:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #508
Thanks dan

Yeah mines normally high 80’s on track, also running 19row oil cooler as well.
Posted 23rd May 2020 at 22:04
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #509
Here's a log from 2018 at Donington:

I'm running a 16 row oil cooler I think.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th May 2020 at 08:00
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #510
Pretty steady that I’m guessing the spike is actually from the start? I’ve just wired a overuse switch on my fan so I can knock it on earlier as only run a single small fan which can keep it under control ok just thinking I can knock it on a little earlier if sat ages waiting to go on etc
Posted 24th May 2020 at 09:09
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #511
Yea, spike will either be going to the grid or sat in the holding area. I should have wired in an extra switch but it's all ECU controlled and I've never had an issue so left it

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th May 2020 at 11:08
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #512
I’m also running a omex,, never been a issue yet but just trying to preempt as much as pos lol. I’ve just wired a switch to add a earth instead of the ecu on the existing fan wiring so I can flick the switch and fan will work but with switch off the ecu has full control so will turn on automatically still when it hits the temp.. kinda like a fail safe really... I’m a bit sad like that lol always overthinking everything
Posted 24th May 2020 at 12:43
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #513
Made a bit more progress with the car over the weekend. I wanted to do the last bit of wiring and get the steering wheel buttons wired up. First up was to paint the bare panel, here's a photo of it in primer:

Then I had to take the coiled wire and and wire it up to the switched. Each core wire is very thin, I think it's only rated for 250mA, so I soldered it to the pins on the back of the buttons. I then used boots to cover it up and offer a bit of protection. Here it is wired up:

I wanted a fixed mounting point for the connector between the coiled wire and the main loom to make sure it stays out of the way of my feet, and also to provide strain relief so it doesn't pull on the small wires. I made a small, rectangular plate that is bolted up with the steering column:

After faffing around wiring in the DTM connector, you end up with something like this:

Then I painted the panel black so it's a bit more subtle and hooked everything up.

All seems to work well. I have headlight flash and one-touch wipe working. The other buttons are for pit-to-car radio (still needs to be wired up) and a pit lane speed limiter that needs mapping in.

I'm due to race at Silverstone GP in August so need to get the car ready for that. The Odyssey race battery I've got still struggles to start the car after the new wiring loom. I'm wondering if it's just not big enough, even though it's brand new.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Jun 2020 at 08:48
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #514
Looks great Dan Thumbs up
Posted 21st Jun 2020 at 11:41
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #515
What diameter and how long are the battery/starter cables dan? I.e is the diameter enough for the current over the length of the cable?
Posted 21st Jun 2020 at 16:10
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #516
Good question. It's 110amp 16mm2 cable going from the passenger seat up to the dash, then out to the front. Maybe the run is too long but then I'm not sure what other choice I have, the cable always has to go to the dash so I can have the kill switch.

Also in the MX5s the battery is in the boot and it works ok.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Jun 2020 at 07:32

Pages (21): first .. 19 20 [21]