displaying posts 376 to 400 of 516

Pages (21): first .. 15 [16] 17 .. last

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #376
I don't think you can, the standard one didn't fit under mine. You also wouldn't want to as it will stop airflow going under the wing which generates a lot of the downforce.

I just drilled holes in the endplate and holes in the boot and bolted it in

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Jul 2017 at 16:47
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #377
ok dude cheers

Posted 3rd Jul 2017 at 16:55
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #378
Just had another read on this thread.
With your wiring did you have any diagrams to work from or did you just chop bit by bit?
Posted 17th Sep 2017 at 17:36
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #379
I made a few sketches but kind of just did it as I went. I'm redoing the wiring this winter as it was a bit of a bodge job so might actually try and do it right this time!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 18th Sep 2017 at 10:01
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #380
I another race at Brands a few weeks ago, came away with second in class and 5th overall which I was pretty happy with.

Unfortunately the car didn't survive so well, the rear beam has some pretty impressive play in the shafts but I knew a beam build was coming soon anyway so I'm not hugely surprised. More worrying is the engine was overheating for the last 20 minutes (running at around 104 degrees), the temp went up during the pitstop and I couldn't get it back down again. Due to the position I was in the race I decided to push on and see how far it would go before dying, somehow with it finishing the race! I think the head gasket has gone, maybe with a warped head as well but I guess I'll find out when I take it apart.

Had a good battle with another 306:

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_uiZcjp3yQ

I'm supposed to have one more race this year at Oulton but with the car in such a bad state I've decided to leave it and start fixing it ready for next year.

Over the weekend I pressed the shafts out of a spare set of trailing arms I have

As you can see they're in a bit of a state so will get them shot blasted!

Once they're shot blasted and powder coated they're going off to Bridgecraft to have the camber set to -2.5 degrees and 0 toe, should make the rear a bit more lively. I've ordered a new shaft kit and a new 30mm ARB as well

Rallye Race Car
Posted 18th Sep 2017 at 10:08
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #381
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]I made a few sketches but kind of just did it as I went. I'm redoing the wiring this winter as it was a bit of a bodge job so might actually try and do it right this time!

No worries I plan to do similar but can't seem to find any diagrams - I haven't got a lot to start with so may just start from scratch
Posted 18th Sep 2017 at 19:09
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #382
I'm going completely from scratch this time, new wires, the lot. It's easier for me as my dash is fed from the ECU so haven't got to worry about that, mainly just wiring the engine and then lights.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 18th Sep 2017 at 19:45
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #383
Started work on stripping the current beam down over the weekend and found a bit of a horror show! One of the trailing arms literally fell off when I was taking the torsion bar out leaving the shaft inside the beam tube. As you can see from the pictures the rest of the tube isn't in great condition either, probably fair to say it's not recoverable without a fair amount of effort. The one shaft that did come out is not in great condition either.

Otherwise I've cleaned up and given a coat of pain to some of the other parts, nothing special just a bit of Hammerite. The new trailing arms have been sent off to Bridgecraft for machining and the new ARB and shafts / bearings have arrived.

All tucked up

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Oct 2017 at 19:06
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #384
this will handle totally different when you get it back on the road then!!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Oct 2017 at 19:52
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #385
I was getting quite used to my "active" suspension Big grin I'm going 0 toe and -2.5 degrees of camber as well which should be interesting

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Oct 2017 at 20:20
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #386
Bit more work on the beam over the weekend, new bearings pressed in so the tube is ready to go. Should be getting the arms back from Bridgecraft this week so the rest of the beam can go back together.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd Oct 2017 at 09:57
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #387
What's the plans next year? You looking to do the trackday trophy series again?
Posted 23rd Oct 2017 at 21:15
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #388
Yea, probably Trackday Trophy again. Hopefully after an engine rebuild the power should be back and I'll be able to challenge for outright wins again

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 08:52
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #389
More progress on the beam this weekend. Got the arms back from Bridgecraft with the camber / toe set and new hubs fitted with stud conversion. Gave them a coat of Hammerite and pressed the new shafts in then fitted them and some of the brackets back to the beam tube. I need to get some new seals and stuff next before I can continue.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 5th Nov 2017 at 18:22
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #390
Arms look great just like new
Posted 5th Nov 2017 at 19:48
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #391
Pretty impressed considering it's just some left over Hammerite Big grin Makes other bits look a bit rubbish now though.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 6th Nov 2017 at 09:05
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #392
Random question does the dash 4 have a fuel gauge like the dash 2?
Posted 14th Nov 2017 at 20:22
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #393
Not by default, I made one myself by logging the fuel sensor value and turning it in to a bar graph

Rallye Race Car
Posted 14th Nov 2017 at 21:14
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #394
Dan as Mei has said your going to notice a huge difference on the car m8 ...

Will Declaudio did his Beam for the last race at Combe with a totally new refit Beam on his 106 ....his old one had so much play ....he said the car felt much more predictable Dan ...can’t remember if your using solid mounts or not ?....some like them / others Don’t ?...I like them personally...Wills running 1.5 on the rear 2.5 from on AD08s...

I’m only running about 1 degree of Camber at the back of mine but 40mm wider than standard as you may know ?
And 2.5 Degree at the front but can go to nearly 4.0 if need be as Colin’s making the Drveshafts slightly longer for a little adjustability his idea not mine ....but my fronts 50mm wider than standard as you may know ?

Ross / Supercharger sent me a pic of a great idea you may or may not of seen already ? ....he drilled / tapped a hole into the tube each end ...fitted a grease nipple to grease the bearings inside Thumbs up ...maybe next time I take mine apart I’ll do that mod ...

The cars going to look great Dan ...keep the updates coming m8
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 04:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #395
grease nipples dont work, you just fill the tube up with grease! the bearings are sealed, youre better off fitting new bearings every few years.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 04:35
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #396
Yes Mei but it will keep the Arb greased, it’s not for the bearings my Arb had started to rust slightly inside the tube. It will make it easier to pull apart?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 10:09
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #397
LOL

just paint the thing.

and no, having the tube full of grease will not make it easier to strip, it'll make you hate yourself and it'll also weigh twice as much LOL its the splines that rust in, grease them liberally and strip it every 5 years or so is all you need to do.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 10:24
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #398
It’s been stripped more often than that’s lol, I’ve got another identical beam to make so will not do it on that one will see which one is easier to strip. Dan looks great mate did you manage to get bigger Arb and torsion bars in the end?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 10:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #399
quote:
[quote="demondriverdan"]Not by default, I made one myself by logging the fuel sensor value and turning it in to a bar graph

did that involve adding fuel a few litres at a time to get the readings?
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 17:10
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #400
I took a punt on 2.5 degrees. It might be too much, if so then oh well! Having an axle that isn't falling apart will be a good thing.

And yea, I run solids and have done since pretty much the beginning.

Mike, that's pretty much exactly how I did it. I wired a resistor in line to bring the voltage output down to sub 5v then put 2 litres in, recorded the voltage, added 2 more etc.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 20:51

Pages (21): first .. 15 [16] 17 .. last