displaying posts 301 to 325 of 516

Pages (21): first .. 12 [13] 14 .. last

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #301
Satchshift was nice, took a bit of getting use to but a good investment.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 17:10
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #302
Still love the look of the spoiler, what did you make your splitter out of?
Looks very similar to my splitter Thumbs up
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 18:58
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #303
I'm so pleased the removal of the Manifllow didn't lose you to much Dan ..
The cars looking amazing m8 ...
Are you getting yours windows from http://www.plastics4performance.com/ if so pay the extra & get the hard shell ones m8
They are Scratch resistant polycarbonate & they can do them in grey tint !
The rear quarters behind the door are available in bonded instead of opening with black Obs band m8 ...all shaped as original ...
Don't buy the Perspex / plexiglass ones = Mickey Mouse ones that shatter like glass in a Accident....

When I get my fibreglass Twin skinned tailgate I'm going Back windows & quarters only in Grey tint only problem is 4wk ordering wait Whistle

Cars looking amazing keep up the updates coming please Thumbs up
Posted 24th Feb 2016 at 07:16
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #304
I've already got plastic windows, think they are Plastic4Performance or whatever that company is.

Splitter is made out or ply

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Feb 2016 at 07:18
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #305
demondriverdan wrote:
I've already got plastic windows, think they are Plastic4Performance or whatever that company is.

Splitter is made out or ply

Ok Dan Thumbs up
Keep all the pics coming m8
Posted 24th Feb 2016 at 08:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #306
Couple more photos of how it sits at the moment.

I really want to get some sort of waterproof case for the Omex but no one seems to sell one:

Lovely bodies and wiring Big grin Fire extinguisher is also plumbed in now as well so nearly race ready.

Digi dash and warning lights:

I did a video of how it starts and how the dash works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOU5R-q7UE

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Mar 2016 at 22:50
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #307
Since the last update I've done another Snet session which revealed a new oil leak which was easily sortable. We've also been back to Snet for the first race of the year over the Easter weekend.

As you may remember Storm Katie was lingering around over that weekend which meant the weather played a dominant role. In the run up to the weekend the forecast was heavy rain on pretty much the entire Sunday with it potentially drying up late in the afternoon. Our qualifying was in the morning and the race the afternoon so it was looking likely to be a wet quali and dry race. That wouldn't have been too bad as everyone is a bit race rusty and with a 40 car grid the last thing you want is a pile-up at the first corner of a wet race! As it turns out the weather was completely the opposite.

Quali looked to be damp but ended up being dry and so we made the decision to not run the rear wing and just the splitter. The drag it creates would have cost us too much straight line speed and lap time. I hadn't had much chance to test this configuration and found that the car was really unstable at the rear, wanting to step sideways at pretty much every opportunity. I couldn't get used to it in the 3 laps I had in qualifying so was quite off the pace. Ben went out for his laps and was much more comfortable in the car and put us 10th on the grid, 2nd in class with a 2:16.643, only 0.04s away from the class leader in 8th. Pretty annoying considering class pole is worth a championship point. As we weren't sure how damp the track would be we ran a soft setup so the car was pretty grim to drive, wallowing all over the place, which didn't help the lap time either.

Unfortunately we hadn't noticed there was a sharp piece of metal on one of the inner arches which, as the setup was so soft, was hitting the tyre and ruined it. Balls.

In the run up to the race the rain came, and it came hard. Luckily we had the gazebo up or I've been soaked just standing outside for a few seconds! Obviously at this point we had decided to fit the wets as the track was soaking and started to take the wheels off when I decided to check the forecast one more time. It said that rain was coming but was due to arrive after our race. With the high winds and strong sun I thought the track would dry out to the point that running the dry tyres would be a better option. Not completely convinced by this I left the setup soft and put the rear wing on to stabilise the car in the opening few laps when I thought it would be most wet. How wrong I was!

While sitting in the assembly area waiting to go to the grid it started to lightly rain. During the warm up laps the rain started to get a bit heavier but nothing major. Then, at the end of the first lap of the race, it came down hard again. Going in to turn 1 it looked like a lake rather than a track! The rain stayed for pretty much the entire race and, with most cars running dry tyres, made for an interesting race. I'll post the summary I wrote on Facebook on the way home:

"3rd in class after a pretty crazy race! Heavy rain arrived at the end of the second lap and we were on dry tyres which made for quite a lack of grip. Others around us were struggling more though and we managed to make a few places up to be sitting second in class at the pitstops. We had to be careful of the hard charging Mini of Amery and Gibbs who were catching at a serious rate. After our near perfect pitstop (not luck, honestly!) we came out still second in class although were soon after overtaken by Denslow in his Fiesta. In the second stint Ben was having issues with heating the front tyres up meaning lap times were not ideal and allowing Denslow past. This was compounded when a safety car bunched the field up. There was just 1 lap left at the end of the safety car period to keep Gary Burstow behind and keep 3rd in class. Ben somehow managed it and the final podium spot was ours!"

Putting the wing on was a very good choice as it made the car so much more stable and driveable in those conditions with the wrong tyres on. I enjoyed my stint and was putting in some reasonable lap times. The diff was having a nightmare when putting the power down, it juddered horrendously out of most corners meaning traction wasn't great.

Very pleased with the result. It's all about points this year and we need to get more next time but it's a good start.

Rather than doing a full race video I've made a highlights video cutting out all of the boring bits where we're just driving round Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJk8ER63fEQ

Roll on the next race at Silverstone!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 13:32
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #308
Brilliant read & great Video Dan Thumbs up

Planning on changing anything on your car ?
Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 14:29
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #309
I'm not sure tbh. There are always things I want to change and improve but we're passed the cheap stuff now in to the expensive stuff. Have to balance it out between other things like changing the road car, etc.

Things I'd like to do:
- New gearbox
- Rebuild rear beam
- Seam weld subframe
- Add some extra strength to the rollcage
- Tidy up wiring behind the dash

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 14:38
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #310
demondriverdan wrote:
I'm not sure tbh. There are always things I want to change and improve but we're passed the cheap stuff now in to the expensive stuff. Have to balance it out between other things like changing the road car, etc.

Things I'd like to do:
- New gearbox
- Rebuild rear beam
- Seam weld subframe
- Add some extra strength to the rollcage
- Tidy up wiring behind the dash

I must admit I love your Digi Dash but I wouldn't personally spend money on that myself just yet ....my only reason for saying that is it doesn't make my car any quicker Dan Whistle

I think they are fantastic & the logging feature for proper Racing as you do is invaluable ....
Does your Omex not log ?

For me it would now only be a new Sandy B engine & the cars ready for that now but will have to wait till next year m8 .....
Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 15:32
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #311
But as you say, you're not racing and you're not chasing lap times in the same way. When I'm racing and there's no one around to give you a benchmark it's difficult to know how fast you're going as you only get laptimes via the pitboard and they're a lap out of date. With the dash I can see sector by sector how I'm doing compared to my session best. Not only that but I also get obvious warnings if the engine is in unhappy. For example if oil pressure goes too low (something I'm concerned about) I get big red flashing lights to let me know. Also useful for my brother as he's useless at checking the dash Big grin

The Omex can log but when it's in the data logger I can compare values against GPS positioning. It means if there is an oil pressure drop I can see where on circuit it is.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Apr 2016 at 15:48
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #312
Haven't updated this in a long time! Here's a quick summary of what's happened since then Smile

- Silverstone National. Overheated front tyres, ended up 4th in class
- Rockingham ISSC. Cracking race, really enjoy the circuit. We were hunting down 1st in class when red flag came out which was a bit gutting.
- Oulton Park International. A win! Good laptimes on a fun circuit, although a little bit of contact while defending a position meant the driver side rear quarter straightened out and new side strips
- Donington Park GP. Rubbish start but managed to claw 3 places back when I had major contact with a car I was overtaking. Most of the passenger side had to be straightened out or replaced! Battery then earthed out against the chassis which blew it up and knocked the map out of the ECU. Replaced the coilpack and spark plugs just in case
- Brands Hatch GP. A good start but then got mugged by every man and his dog in the first couple of corners. Car seemed to really struggle with pace so we ended up 5th in class.

In summary we need an incredible result to win the class. Class leaders are nearly 20 points ahead of us so an outright win at Brands Indy might do it.

I'm slightly falling out of love with racing. Moving flat next month and money will be much tighter so going to cut back next year. I've had a few knocks in the last couple of races and that p**ses me off a bit. I know it's a race car and these things happen but it's my pride and joy and the fact that most of the panels don't fit very well any more annoys me. I have a lot of things I want to do on the car so will use next year to sort that out and see how I feel then.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 30th Aug 2016 at 19:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #313
go rallying, its cheaper per mile and 99% of the time panel dage is entirely you own fault :p (or the navigator, always blame the notes LOL )

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Aug 2016 at 20:54
devere

Senior User

Post #314
welshpug! wrote:
go rallying, its cheaper per mile and 99% of the time panel dage is entirely you own fault :p (or the navigator, always blame the notes LOL )

Although panel damage can also mean every panel in one go quite easily...!!
Posted 30th Aug 2016 at 21:45
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #315
It's been a while since I updated this again. We ended the season with a DNF at Brands Indy due to a wiring short. After that I lost massive motivation in the car and thought about selling it, last year wasn't great and was expensive! This year my brother isn't racing with me and I'm spending less on the car so won't be racing until June giving me a bit of time to sort some stuff out.

First up I got the front of the car straightened out properly. After the crash at Donington I only got the door straightened not the whole car, turned out the A pillar had a crease in it. The bodyshop guys did an excellent job at removing the crease and generally making the passenger side line up again. While a small change it has made me much happier, I hated seeing the bumper misaligned and all the other stuff that was wrong. No pictures of before and after unfortunately, but after looks like a normal car again Smile

Secondly I had the diff serviced. 3J replaced the plates and housing along with some other stuff. I did a bit of a trackday at Brands (more on that later) and it felt better, so that's promising! Again, no photos. It's a diff, you should know what they look like!

Thirdly I took the car up to Carl Chambers to have the top engine mount replaced. I'd had consistent chassis cracking with a Vibratechnics race mount so decided to replace it all together, also cuts out quite a bit of weight.

Fourthly I put some more covering around the engine bay wiring loom. My fault for not protecting it better first time, but hopefully no more shorting! I plan on rewiring the entire thing soon anyway so it's only a temporary measure.

Fifthly I went to Brands for a trackday with a couple of the guys I normally race with. Due to the diff being serviced I had to bed it in again, normally you'd do this on the road but I can't really with mine. I did about 40 laps trundling round until the clutch decided to give up. Great. Haven't taken it apart yet to find out what exactly has gone wrong but having spoken to Miles, Carl, and Pete the general consensus was that it's not surprising a standard Valeo clutch has died after 4 years of racing and the higher power! Best option seems to be a Helix paddle clutch so I'll have to sort that out at some point.

Sixthly, we got a new toy Big grin

It's quite sizable in comparison to the van and trailer

But the Pug just about fits

Plans for this year are limited. I want to rewire as I mentioned and to refurb the rear beam with new geometry and bigger ARB. Sadly the clutch has put a dent in those plans so we'll have to wait and see.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 6th Apr 2017 at 16:54
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #316
Dan always love your write ups Thumbs up

Dan I'm going to be about loads next year m8 ...want to do loads of Asst tracks & trackdays ....why don't you have a break & enjoy the car again ?
Yes track days arnt as exciting but this racing stuff that your doing is killling your passion for the car you built ....let's get a load of us together for next year ?

Keep smiling m8
Posted 6th Apr 2017 at 18:27
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #317
Now that I've had the winter off I'm quite looking forward to racing again. I've always raced with my brother and he is faster than I am so every race I'd know I could go faster and it started to get annoying. Racing by myself should mean that although we don't get the overall results, I'll enjoy it more as I'll be racing with people of my own level all the time.

I'm hoping to be out at Rockingham in June, that's the current plan. Although I will need to do a trackday / test day before that.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 6th Apr 2017 at 20:00
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #318
Looking good. How do you Find the racetech dash? I stuck a etb digidash in mine but almost fancy changing to a racetech for more features
Posted 6th Apr 2017 at 20:21
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #319
Race tech dash is pretty awesome, has everything I need when out on track. I have the Dash 4 Pro connected to a DL1 Club logger that is also fed by the ECU. All sensors go in to the logger then get fed over to the dash, so I can log things like fuel level Big grin

Took a bit of setting up but once going it was easy enough. I have various alarms setup so if fuel pressure / oil pressure drops or water temp rises I can see. It's very useful to have lap times on the dash as well as I'm racing.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Apr 2017 at 14:28
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #320
Just watched your videos and I thought fro some reason you had the dashpro 2. Did the 4 come with sensors etc? As guess there's quite little it will read from the omex side of things?
Posted 7th Apr 2017 at 19:40
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #321
No sensors, I paid extra for the oil and fuel pressure sensors. The 4 isn't for a road car, it wouldn't pass an MOT, only the 2 is.

It reads a fair amount from the Omex, pretty much anything the Omex has it can get. I get water temp, throttle position, RPM, battery voltage, and other stuff I can't remember!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Apr 2017 at 19:48
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #322
Would love a digital dash & the new DTA PhillipMs getting would be my choice as it goes into my ECU easier but I don't race & lap times at mo are unimportant ...
I've got electronic buzzer & red light from both my stack Oil pressure & fuel pressure sensors at mo & red light shifter & limiter lights ....
Got to love a digital dash though ...not for me yet though ...pedal box with hydraulic clutch first & 30litre sunk in floor fuel cell tank with inbuilt pump with baffles first Thumbs up
Posted 8th Apr 2017 at 21:38
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #323
Still waiting for a box with a dash in this end! Sad

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Apr 2017 at 23:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #324
phillipm wrote:
Still waiting for a box with a dash in this end! Sad

Whistle Thumbs down
Posted 9th Apr 2017 at 06:08
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #325
Lap times are only really important if you're racing, on a trackday you're not supposed to time so no real point. Although if you accidentally hit the "start logging" button.... Wink

Rallye Race Car
Posted 9th Apr 2017 at 20:36

Pages (21): first .. 12 [13] 14 .. last