Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #251
Nice, is it seam welded Dan?
Posted 26th Nov 2015 at 10:41
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #252
It's not seam welded. I'm fairly certain the regs don't allow it. Would be nice to do but the car would probably benefit more from improvements to the cage.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Nov 2015 at 13:04
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #253
More work done last weekend. Took all the wiring out of the dash and cut the sides off of it so it fits within the cage much easier. I need to make a plate to cover the ends to neaten it up a bit but it doesn't look too bad:

I repainted some parts to make everything look good:

Also stripped off the insulation material from under the wipers:

In prep for painting the engine bay I used a flap wheel on the surface rust in the engine bay. Made myself a little cave to contain the dust Big grin

Getting handy with the angle grinder to cut off any unnecessary studs from the engine bay:

I also discovered my VTS rack was a bit bent! Probably happened in the crash but not sure:

Rallye Race Car
Posted 1st Dec 2015 at 22:00
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #254
Looking great ...BUT .....

Dan I hope you covered your Front Windscreen before using that flappy disc ?

If not expect lots of black weld type splatter on it & bubble type marks m8 Whistle

New Windscreen then ?
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 18:58
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #255
Didn't cover the windscreen, didn't cover the windscreen on the other car when I did that and it was fine!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:03
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #256
demondriverdan wrote:
Didn't cover the windscreen, didn't cover the windscreen on the other car when I did that and it was fine!

Hmm ...hope it's ok Thumbs up

Hot paint bits are not a problem but hot metal filings & sparks are !
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:06
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #257
I haven't checked this car but I've not noticed anything on the other car so not sure why it would be a problem?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:06
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #258
Yep ive made that mistake before with cutting disks

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:07
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #259
It doesn't have to be sparking or directly be hitting the glass !

Just being in the Air & landing on the paint ...but mostly the Glass will PIT it Soooo easily & you have created a closed cell for the hot sparks to land & not cool down while it's in the Air ?

Just saying ?.....hope I'm wrong Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:51
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #260
Good points, I hadn't thought about it when doing it so we'll have to see. Hopefully not!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:21
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #261
Not trying to be clever ....just be helpful Dan & you have had enough bad luck for one year m8Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:52
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #262
Cheers dude, I appreciate it Smile I honestly hadn't thought about the windscreen when doing it so hopefully it's ok. If it's buggered then I have an excuse to fit a heated windscreen Big grin

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:54
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #263
demondriverdan wrote:
Cheers dude, I appreciate it Smile I honestly hadn't thought about the windscreen when doing it so hopefully it's ok. If it's buggered then I have an excuse to fit a heated windscreen Big grin

Defo m8 ...make sure if you put a heated windscreen in you put a timer on it or the elements burn out Thumbs up
They are only made for 306s to demist not deice like ford Heated windscreens .....just a heads up
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #264
Can just use the timer from the rear heated windscreen since I won't be running that with the perspex rear screen!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 19:58
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #265
demondriverdan wrote:
Can just use the timer from the rear heated windscreen since I won't be running that with the perspex rear screen!

I was told not as it's timer is far to long & it pumps too many amps through ...the back toughened Windscreen has a Copper printed circuit on the inside of the glass ..

The Heated front laminated ply windscreen has Fine wires sandwiched in the PVB inter layer ....

If you feel the heated Rear windscreen when it's on .....its to hot to touch in areas ....bet many haven't tried that LOL

The aftermarket front heated windscreen just goes warm on 306s !
Ford ones which are designed with thicker wires are deice & go really warm Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:07
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #266
Fair enough, I can find another timer. If I need to get one I can ask the company at the time

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:07
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #267
demondriverdan wrote:
Fair enough, I can find another timer. If I need to get one I can ask the company at the time

If you need one ....I'm getting one made by one of my customers & it hides under the dash & pumps the correct amps also ...they will have my heated windscreen to check ohms & work out the correct little magic box & you can then use any switch to turn on & the timer box hidden will sort everything out ....they make Aircraft stuff & I'm sure I can get a couple made & get the spec for any body else who wants to make there own Smile
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:12
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #268
I've got a fiesta with a heated front screen and it is brilliant both at demisting and de-icing. It's a shame they don't license out the technology but I imagine it'd be prohibitively expensive anyway. It does also have the side-effect of having more glare from the headlights of oncoming cars as the light glints on the wires.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:14
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #269
All the heated ones I've seen & I know of are made by http://www.xinyiglass.ca/ (XYG)glass for those out there .....you can see the XYG markings by the Kitemark they aren't known as a quality glass company Thumbs down

Chinese Micky Mouse glass sadly ....look up the reviews ...loads of bad non heated reviews !

Ricky Evans ....Do them & I believe that's your only choice ?
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:24
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #270
RetroPug wrote:
I've got a fiesta with a heated front screen and it is brilliant both at demisting and de-icing. It's a shame they don't license out the technology but I imagine it'd be prohibitively expensive anyway. It does also have the side-effect of having more glare from the headlights of oncoming cars as the light glints on the wires.

So true Luke ^^^^^^^

Ford Windscreens are bloody amazing ....but the wires can be seen in bright light but the advantages far out way the negatives ...well done ford Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:28
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #271
Day666 wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:

If you need one ....I'm getting one made by one of my customers & it hides under the dash & pumps the correct amps also ...they will have my heated windscreen to check ohms & work out the correct little magic box & you can then use any switch to turn on & the timer box hidden will sort everything out ....they make Aircraft stuff & I'm sure I can get a couple made & get the spec for any body else who wants to make there own Smile

Is it not just a simple timer relay? Where did you get your screen from?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 20:46
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #272
demondriverdan wrote:
Day666 wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:

Is it not just a simple timer relay? Where did you get your screen from?

Your thinking of something like this ?
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/846/category/210

Yes but they will make me one ajustable Thumbs up...

Only Ricky bloody Evans..... crap LOL .....sadly
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 21:09
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #273
Yea, something like that. Must be able to get different duration ones, saves all that faffing around.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 21:10
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #274
demondriverdan wrote:
Yea, something like that. Must be able to get different duration ones, saves all that faffing around.

You can but not in a nice little box & free Thumbs up
EBay do them from £4.00 up
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 21:13
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #275
I'm making my own wiring loom anyway so I'll have to put the relays somewhere! Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2015 at 21:14

Pages (21): first .. 10 [11] 12 .. last