displaying posts 1 to 25 of 516

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: DemonDriverDan's Race Rallye Project
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Picked up the track -> race project this morning from Felixstowe. The aim is to go from it's current semi-trackday spec to race spec while doing a few trackdays on the way. I've always wanted to race (kind of in the family!) and wanted to build my own car so picked this one up as I think if offers a great starting point.

Current specs:

- Stripped front and rear
- Some dash removed
- Most sound deadening removed
- Grab handles on doors
- Some wiring removed from floor (C/L and aftermarket alarm system)
- Seat belt pre-tensioner wiring removed (thus light flashing)
- Cobra reclining bucket seats (will be replaced prior to racing)
- Luke 4 point harnesses (will be replaced prior to racing)
- Welded in rear harness bar
- 13 row Mocal oil cooler with thermostatic plate
- Brembo 406 4pot callipers
- Tarox G88 discs
- Dotz alloys
- Eibach pro springs up front (standard shocks)
- Lowered on the rear to match
- Cat back stainless steel exhaust
- Upgraded panel filter

Plans:

- Full race cage
- 1x race seat
- Uprated shocks all round
- Strut braces
- New tyres
- Engine overhaul
- Lightweight race battery
- More I can't think of right now!

Some pictures Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 5th Nov 2017 at 18:33
30ASTOR6

Regular

Post #2
looks like a good starting point ready stripped

TEAM ASTOR GTi 6

SNAP-ON SUBARU

SOON NOT TO BE TEAM DIABLO MEREDIAN (for sale)
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 08:45
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Doesn't it really annoy you that Co-op use a Scottish guy on the adverts to make "Good with food" rhyme, which it clearly wouldn't normally.

Ah, I remember those wheels, I actually really like them. Look better than when they were new:

Are you based near Felixtowe then? Going to be doing any trackdays at Woodbridge?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread matey Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 09:27
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Sadly not, am based near Tonbridge and Maidstone in Kent so Brands is my local track. Thinking of taking the car up for a trackday at Snet in a few weeks but we'll see!

They look in quite good stead! Will be keeping them for the foreseeable future as I have to run 15"s in the first series I want to enter.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 09:29
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Oh awesome, Brands and Snett are two of my locals too living in Essex, so money permitting I might see you about Thumbs up

Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 09:32
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I've been to Brands more times than I care to think about! Big grin

Chelmsford is a pretty great spot to be in for the 2 circuits, apart from Dartford tunnel / QE2 bridge getting in the way!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 09:38
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #7
Id take them reclining buckets off your hands dan Wink looking good mate. Gunna keep a close eye on this Smile
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 11:50
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Nice to see Ian rallye going to a good home Smile

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 15:36
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
nice house!

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 20th Aug 2012 at 19:03
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
You do know the max braked towing weight of a Grand Scenic is 1300kg right? Whistle

Posted 20th Aug 2012 at 19:52
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
@Matt, driver's one will be going at some point to be replaced by a fixed bucket for racing.

@Sam, I hope so! Smile

@Daver, thanks!

@Owain, shhhh! Razz I'm going to buy a recovery truck in the next couple of months to make it easier to get around.

I've booked 2 track sessions at Brands for next Tuesday evening. They're just novice 20 min taster sessions but it gives me a chance to shakedown the car and check everything is ok before booking a full day.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 10:13
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
How much for the taster session? And do you need anything other than a helmet?

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 10:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
£25 for 20 mins. Just a helmet, yup! So long as the car passes the noise test (which it will!) and nothing falls off while doing the test, you're free to go on circuit.

It's just enough to give the car a shakedown and check she's running ok before booking a full day.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 11:01
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
demondriverdan wrote:
£25 for 20 mins. Just a helmet, yup! So long as the car passes the noise test (which it will!) and nothing falls off while doing the test, you're free to go on circuit.

It's just enough to give the car a shakedown and check she's running ok before booking a full day.

How did you find out about these taster sessions? Do a lot of circuits do it? Only ever seen them at shows etc.

Car is looking good, and you have good plans for it. Will be keeping an eye on this Smile

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 11:12
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
cjm_harris wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:

How did you find out about these taster sessions? Do a lot of circuits do it? Only ever seen them at shows etc.

Car is looking good, and you have good plans for it. Will be keeping an eye on this Smile

I work for MSV so I know everything Big grin

Club MSV do it for all of our circuits, some details here: http://www.clubmsv.co.uk/car-home/taster-sessions.aspx

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 11:19
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Thanks Dan Smile

Shame there is no MSV circuits that close to me. If I'm going to travel, may as well book the whole day Laugh

Chris
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 14:04
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
demondriverdan wrote:

Sounds like a quality price for a little taster, would be on this if I didn't need a service and I'm currently waiting for my Royal Purple to be delivered.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 21:17
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Did the taster sessions yesterday evening, were good fun! Got to the circuit at about 4pm (having been on the London Eye at 11am!) and went through the noise testing, briefings etc. before I managed to nab a garage near the front of the queue Big grin

Started the session with 3 sighting laps then the safety car pulls in and we're straight into our session. Jumped 2 cars straight away on the run up to Druids as they were going a bit slow. It was a bit of a dodgy move, especially on cold tyres, and I avoided doing it again.

I spent most of the session stuck behind an MX5 who was faster out of Druids than me (my fault, was shifting down to 2nd rather than holding in 3rd and couldn't shift fast enough so often messed up the braking zone) so pulled out enough of a gap that I could quite get him down the straight. I was about 5mph faster by the end but it wasn't enough.

Unfortunately the car had very little grip, understeered everywhere and made, what I thought, was a lot of tyre squeal. For those that have done Club MSV (and possibly other) trackdays before, tyre squeal is frowned upon and will get you black flagged. Obviously I didn't want this as the session wasn't very long so I kept backing out to minimise the squeal. When I spoke to my family that had come with me, they said they couldn't hear any squeal at all so apparently it wasn't as bad as I thought!

The car is running essentially stock suspension, just some Eibach front lowering springs, with old Michelins so the lack of grip was not surprising. Another unfortunate is one of the front discs is pretty warped resulting in some dramatic steering wheel movements during braking!

My fastest lap ending up being a 1:06, it being the only clear lap I had without the MX5 in front of me! There is definitely a lot more time to find, about 1 sec in Druids alone. My Brother went out in the second session and got a 1:04 but I think we could both get down to the 1:03s if we were to go out again.

In summary, happy the car was mechanically sound; the engine ran like a dream with no temp issues at all. Unhappy that I got a slower time than my Brother.

Future plans are still roughly the same. The cage is the key thing to get first, hopefully that'll help the handling. Following that, a complete suspension overhaul with uprated parts. Then some new tyres, I've already got a tyre in mind so will see how that goes.

Couple of questions:

I'm thinking of getting a Safety Devices 17-point weld-in cage. It's a lot of money but should be good enough, thoughts?

In terms of suspension, I'd love some KW V2s but can't afford them new. Would getting a used set be a good idea? Are there other kits at a lower cost that would be good? Perhaps Spax RSX?

EDIT: Pics and video to follow, uploading them tonight when I get home.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 11:57
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Sounds exactly like I'd expect from a car of that spec Yes

I have KW V2's on mine and they're awesome, whether they're worth the extra money over a "lesser" setup or not is down to you, personally I'd have no problem with buying them second-hand though as long as they were coming off a car that was being broken rather than one where just the suspension has suspiciously been removed, where there might be an issue with them.

Thicker torsion bars, thicker ARB, new bushes, roller bearings, bit of camber at the front and your understeer will be next to non-existant.

Shame I'm poor at the moment, else I could just bring mine to Brands and you could see your future Yes

I wouldn't worry about the warped disc, personally I'd just replace the lot anyway. Only costs about £80 to have new discs all round, I'd do that and know they're all straight and true.

To be honest the only thing you really need on track is the thermostatic oil cooler, which I see you already have. Just make sure you stuff some cardboard in front of it if you're just pottering about though (or it's a cold day), as your oil will never get up to temperature and your engine won't be protected properly.

Oh, and stick in an oil temp guage. It's a must.

Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:14
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
owain wrote:

To be honest the only thing you really need on track is the thermostatic oil cooler, which I see you already have. Just make sure you stuff some cardboard in front of it if you're just pottering about though (or it's a cold day), as your oil will never get up to temperature and your engine won't be protected properly.

If if had a thermostatic oil cooler, then it wont open and use the cooler until the oil is hot, cant remember the figure, but surely around 80 degrees?

Chris
Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:23
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Sadly I'm running your old Brembo setup, owain, so discs are slightly more expensive, as you know! Razz

Currently I think the cage is the priority. While I didn't really sense a need for it yesterday, I probably won't until I see a tyre wall heading my way!

Temps wise the car ran great, was very impressed!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
cjm_harris wrote:
If if had a thermostatic oil cooler, then it wont open and use the cooler until the oil is hot, cant remember the figure, but surely around 80 degrees?

True, but remember that's 80 degrees at the engine block, if you then take that oil and pump it out to a cooler, blow plenty of cold air over it then return it to the engine, it can easily drop in temperature too much.

I have an oil temp gauge on mine and if I drive around normal roads without blocking off the filter then the oil doesn't even register 50 degrees, which is far too cool.

The thermostatic plates are better than nothing, but unless I'm on track I'll always block up the cooler. It's just not necessary for normal driving.

Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:27
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
The car doesn't get used on the road, it's track only, so I'm not too worried about that. Where did you take the reading for your oil temp gauge?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:28
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
demondriverdan wrote:
Sadly I'm running your old Brembo setup, owain, so discs are slightly more expensive, as you know!

Ah yes, forgot about those. I take it all back, bad times if they're warped Thumbs up

demondriverdan wrote:
Currently I think the cage is the priority. While I didn't really sense a need for it yesterday, I probably won't until I see a tyre wall heading my way!

Couldn't agree more, always meant to get one fitted to my car, I hate not having one. If you consider this guy at Rockingham did this to his just trying to get LOOS on a corner, you realise how important they can be:

No other cars involved, didn't even hit anything - just rolled over a couple of times. Luckily for him he had a cage, but even that was bent out of shape.

Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:29
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
demondriverdan wrote:
The car doesn't get used on the road, it's track only, so I'm not too worried about that. Where did you take the reading for your oil temp gauge?

I bought a sump plug from Demon Tweeks which has a thread for an oil temp sender, so no "modification" is required - just one wire from the sensor into the cockpit.

So to answer your question - the sump. Not perfect I know, but better than nothing.

Posted 29th Aug 2012 at 12:30

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 .. last