displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: problem with rear brake
pug pete

Regular

Post #1
hi im havin a real problem with my rear right brake sticking and wundered the easy way of sorting this out it has eaten my new disc and pads in less then 2000 miles

please help pullin my hair out Angry
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 20:18
rikky 🦔

Post #2
what have you tried?

probably the piston sticking in. i've had it, wound piston out, cleaned it up, wound it back in, put a new dust boot over the caliper. my old one was shredded so i can only assume debris has got into the piston outer area and eventually jammed it

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 20:20
pug pete

Regular

Post #3
i have had the carrier of cleaned and copper greased i did notice the dust cover was missin when looked last time.wot best to clean when piston is out and is it a hard job thanks
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 20:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Copper grease will make it worse - it's not a lubricant, it's an anti-seize compound. High-temperate lithium grease would be much better Yes

Both I and Pellowe have had issues with people using copper slip on the rear sliders and having them seize up.

You can buy a whole new seal kit (Big Redd are the best bet IIRC), as long as you're vaguely technical it's not a problem - you take the caliper off, take it all apart, clean it up and degrease it and put it back together with the new seals.

If you can't be bothered with all that, you might find it easier to just buy a known working set of rear calipers off here, shouldn't cost you more than about £30.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 16th Aug 2012 at 08:08
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
owain wrote:
Copper grease will make it worse - it's not a lubricant, it's an anti-seize compound. High-temperate lithium grease would be much better Yes

Agree witht he copper grease but I would not use lithium grease - It will perish the rubber seals. I would grease the slide pins and the Piston (wind out apply wind in and out) with Millers Red Rubber grease (1000 degree boiling point).

The brake fluid will also need changing if the brakes were stuck on for the last 2000 miles.
Posted 16th Aug 2012 at 08:53
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Even better Yes

iplay wrote:
The brake fluid will also need changing if the brakes were stuck on for the last 2000 miles.

This is a good point also. If you brakes are getting this hot your fluid will be knackered Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 16th Aug 2012 at 08:59