displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: car purchase woes-outstanding finance
allsmiles

Regular

Post #1
hi folks, got a bit of a worry going on here

couple of days ago i bought a s2000(1999) off a friend of mine, i didnt bother with a hpi check seeing as he is a friend, but last night i went through all the paperwork and found a old hpi check going back to 2004 showing outstanding finance from a company called GMAC, at this point i start panicing but there is a contact number for this company so this morning i gave them a call and for them to confirm that the car is clear and that there is nothing outstanding on it.

so i then go to do my own hpi check and all is well apart from there is still outstanding finance on the car but this time the company is SIEMENS FINANCE with the agreement date being 10/09/1999 which is before the hpi check i found from 2004

my friend has owned the car for about 4 months and i dont suspect any foul play from him at all, he didnt hpi check the car himself and noone has chased him up about outstanding finance

whats everyones thought on this? worry or not to worry?

205 gti6 now sold up, but gonna stick around and see whats what Smile
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 11:57
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I wouldn't worry at all mate Thumbs up

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 12:01
rikky 🦔

Post #3
ring the next finance company, Siemens

worst case is you can lose the car. best case is nothing will happen but you need to know where you stand anyway

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 12:01
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Sometimes the supplying main dealers have stocking loans for their cars and they show on HPI's, but you should be able to get a letter off "Siemens finance" saying they have no further interest in the car.

HPI can be slow in updating the information as well. At least with a letter off Siemens, you can put it with the history of the hpi's you've done.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 12:02
allsmiles

Regular

Post #5
forgot to add, i rang siemens up and the lady says the DID do car finance but they have no record of the car at all on their system

with the agreement date being in 1999, i hoping that because its so long ago that they deleted it off their system, but then im thinking that because the outstanding finance from the 2004 hpi check has been given the all clear im thinking i may be ok, but i was born to worry lol

Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 12:03
mellowr1

Senior User

Post #6
i HPI'd mine before buyin and it had two things come up.One was the license plate had been changed and the second was there was finance on the said plate.
Rung HPI and they said its ok as the finance was on the other plate that was on the car and the finance was on an audi tt that was now running that plate.Its only there for info and all clearThumbs up
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 15:47
rikky 🦔

Post #7
understandable, you've be daft not to check though and go through each company until everyone has said no to outstanding finance

i bought an M3 a bit ago, it came back as saying it's reg was a write off.. but it was a reg from another car. so it was showing that a reg which was once on the M3 was written off.. but not when it was on the M3 LOL talk about confusing the matter!

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 15:53
sarahsix

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Its ok, the a3 i bought recently showed up fine on hpi...i then had a letter from thames valley police saying they were after a previous keeper of the vehicle so i did some of my own worrying & looking into things and found that the car had been clocked by at least 100k miles. Dealer who sold me the car 'knew nothing about this' and basically did a runner, blocked his phone etc so i thought i was going to be stuck with it...found a near identical advert to the one of the a3 for an a4 for sale in the same area, got my brother to ring and arrange a viewing, the bloke sure had a bit of a shock when he realised it was us LOL ended up getting all my pennies back thank god but the muppet sent his 'driver' to meet us in the a4 in the advert which stated 79k miles, had a look on the dash and it clearly showed 133k miles.

I sent off the part of the v5 to say that the vehicle has gone back into the trade with a letter explaining why. Its all been logged with police & trading standards too so i hope thats where it all ends with me but im the last registered keeper on its v5 now Sad

Totally been put off buying a new car now so im back in my little skoda LOL

Hope you get all your oustanding finance worries sorted asap Smile

keep the machinery between the greenery

R766JKV nile blue gti6 - sold Sad
V634DLR black gti6 - sold
Now driving a skoda furby vrs - for sale
Currently piloting an Audi a3 sportback
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 17:28
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #9
sarahsix wrote:
Its ok, the a3 i bought recently showed up fine on hpi...i then had a letter from thames valley police saying they were after a previous keeper of the vehicle so i did some of my own worrying & looking into things and found that the car had been clocked by at least 100k miles. Dealer who sold me the car 'knew nothing about this' and basically did a runner, blocked his phone etc so i thought i was going to be stuck with it...found a near identical advert to the one of the a3 for an a4 for sale in the same area, got my brother to ring and arrange a viewing, the bloke sure had a bit of a shock when he realised it was us LOL ended up getting all my pennies back thank god but the muppet sent his 'driver' to meet us in the a4 in the advert which stated 79k miles, had a look on the dash and it clearly showed 133k miles.

I sent off the part of the v5 to say that the vehicle has gone back into the trade with a letter explaining why. Its all been logged with police & trading standards too so i hope thats where it all ends with me but im the last registered keeper on its v5 now Sad

Totally been put off buying a new car now so im back in my little skoda LOL

Hope you get all your oustanding finance worries sorted asap Smile

Whoa, that's a s**tty situation. I'm glad you got your money back, I think you were lucky: most might not.
Could be best to stick with what you know for a while (the Skoda) if it owes you no money.
Goes to show that an HPI check is worthwhile...
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 18:40
sarahsix

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Yeah, ive even considered buying a car from a garage LOL playing it safe to the extreme there! Went to look at a honda civic but im not sure so the vrs will stay until we've decided what to do Wink i will never whinge about a £15 hpi check again, thats for sure Smile

keep the machinery between the greenery

R766JKV nile blue gti6 - sold Sad
V634DLR black gti6 - sold
Now driving a skoda furby vrs - for sale
Currently piloting an Audi a3 sportback
Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 18:47
allsmiles

Regular

Post #11
thanx for everyones posts and reassurance, me personally dont think theres gonna be any drama for me, but im gonna keep digging and i aint gonna sleep well until i have what i want in writing

Posted 15th Aug 2012 at 23:02
mellowr1

Senior User

Post #12
if u ring HPI and give them ur reference number their investigating team will check it all out for you m8.then they send you updated documents.Well,they did for meThumbs up
Posted 16th Aug 2012 at 00:11
allsmiles

Regular

Post #13
hi folks just to say that last night i did the hpi check with a company called "icarcheck.net" this was the company that threw up the outstanding finance

just did another check for peace of mind with "hpicheck"(the proper one) and it hasnt thrown up outstanding finance Thumbs up

i can sleep well tonight Yes

Posted 16th Aug 2012 at 01:52
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #14
Any pics of the car mate?
Posted 18th Aug 2012 at 14:13
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
If your friwnd had it for 4 months with no trouble then no worries, finance companies can reposes a car within 21days

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 18th Aug 2012 at 15:14