displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: team gaffer tape and cable ties.
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #1
Had a fab day out with the kids and soon to be ex wife yesterday at Alton towers. All was good on the way home untill we were pasing the junction where the M42 joins the M5. Then BANG! (no hard shoulder and lots of lanes merging) just cruising in the fast lane past the junction as dusk was falling; f*****g great i thought! what the hell was that? but i think i knew immediately! my foot hit the floor and i lost the throttle. on went the hazards and i negotiated my way to the hard shoulder! no wait it's motor way intersection there is no hard shoulder i just managed to get out of the way of a BIG lorry and stopped. wifey was unimpressed and kids obviously worried i got them to safety the other side of the barrier and took a look at what the problem could be. i knew it was the throttle cable but the question was .... had it snapped under the bonnet or what? i quickly found out it had become detached from the pedal phew! now then; should i wait for green flag as wifey was demanding of try and fix it! ten minutes later we were off again. so a big thanks to thug for telling me years ago to always have a pack of cable ties in the car as you never know when you will need them. i am no mechanic so i don't carry tools but was able to cobble it back together.

it was bloody fiddly to re-attach and taper up it appears a small plastic clip must have broken and the cable just let go.

mrs grumpy was not impressed and fretted and nagged all the way home but i was so glad to not have to wait for recovery; it was late enough already! i just didn't listen to her whining "i'm not happy about driving at 70 with a bit of sticky tape holding something together!" bloody women knows jack s**t!

moral of the storey.... don't take the ex wife out on afamily day out she will just do your head in! oh and always make sure you have some gaffer tape and a pack of cable ties in the car!

does the throttle cable have some sort of clip on the pedal end? i found a couple of white bits of plastic in the foot well but if anyone knows i would appreciate it and is going to be a case of new clip or new cable?

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 13:09
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #2
It's a white clip which pushes through a hole on the end of the cable.

I suppose if anything it reassured you that she's a soon to be ex wife for all the right reasons.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 13:50
    spike_uk06

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
    To be honest if she was whinging the whole way home would have stopped and said "walk then" Or taken her to a bus stop. Thumbs up

Team China
    Team Pirelli
    Team Cracked Bumper
    20th Nov 1999 she was born
    Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 14:14
    Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #4
    FLOL epic fix! Big grin as said I'd have dropped her at the side of the road
    Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 14:25
    grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #5
    spike_uk06 wrote:
    To be honest if she was whinging the whole way home would have stopped and said "walk then" Or taken her to a bus stop. Thumbs up

oh believe me i was very tempted but the kids might not have been impressed!! when i booked 4 tickets for Alton towers she said yeah it will be a great day out, then on the way she said "well i wont be going on any rides" it's not my cup of tea i'll just watch! (i think she is going mad) i thought great this is going to be an interesting day. now i wish i had only taken the kids! they had a blast! so did I! she seemed to go along with it for our benifit!

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
    items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 14:36
    swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    "walk the m25.......ya b**ch"

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
    blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
    Black p3 Love
    Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 14:56
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    grumpychef wrote:
    so a big thanks to thug for telling me years ago to always have a pack of cable ties in the car as you never know when you will need them.

Smile I have a use in life. Obviously not you I heard through pub window in your village early evening then.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 15:07
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    A man's place is in the wrong... LOL

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 19:58
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #9
    mik wrote:

Too true. LOL

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 22:52
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    mik wrote:

Too true. LOL

AKA Team Doghouse?

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 22:56
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #11
    mik wrote:

Hole?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 22:58